Purchase links:
Predator
Price: £21.99
Notes: Matte Finish. Limited to 3000 Copies
1 disc editon-3D and 2D version on 1 BD disc

pred.jpg

pred3.jpg pred2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you do a comparison to find out which it is ? I bought the remastered USA Patton disc to put in my steelbook as that had the waxy version in it .
The difference in quality is like night and day ,you'll know a waxy dnr remaster when you see one ,if you can't tell the difference I'd suggest a trip to the opticians is probably advised .

Yes, this (and every other Predator 3D) release is based on the 2010 MPEG-4 MVC encoded, heavily DNR'd Ultimate Hunter Edition, commonly known as the "wax museum" transfer.

The first, year 2008 release was a low bit-rate MPEG-2 encoded transfer which had a different set of problems.

If you are still of this opinion, I'd suggest reading a few Predator UHE or Predator 3D Blu-ray reviews or comparing the 2008 Blu-ray with this release.
The comparison is the 3D version to the 2D version. The 3D version looks better than the 2D.
These versions are also all we have to choose from. There will not be another coming anytime soon, as they have now done two. Personally, I'd rather they (20th Century Fox) work on getting a decent transfer of DIE HARD and SPEED out there.

The comparison is the 3D version to the 2D version. The 3D version looks better than the 2D.
These versions are also all we have to choose from. There will not be another coming anytime soon, as they have now done two. Personally, I'd rather they (20th Century Fox) work on getting a decent transfer of DIE HARD and SPEED out there.

I expect a re-master of the original Die Hard trilogy along with UK 'uncut' edition of 4.0 once Die Hard 6 releases on home video. News has been quiet on DH6 recently but I expect we'll hear more about it before the year is out, assuming they still want to make it

They should get John McTiernan back to direct if it does happen

The sad truth is that there is no good 2D version on blu-ray of Predator. It was a disaster. So unless someone goes back to the original negative and does it properly we are all stuck with a serious lemon.

Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
The sad truth is that there is no good 2D version on blu-ray of Predator. It was a disaster. So unless someone goes back to the original negative and does it properly we are all stuck with a serious lemon.
Hell yeah there is! The first Blu Ray disc release was great, IMO. It captures exactly how I remember watching Predator on DVD. It has some great looking HD scenes, especially in the forest ares, but has some bad night shots. I prefer that release than the UHE or 3D conversion.

Reactions: lgans316
Nothing about bonus material pushing it to 18 on the BBFC website. The designers probably just forgot to reflect the new rating. Like Die Hard, which is a 15 but all the new releases are still 18.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
Hell yeah there is! The first Blu Ray disc release was great, IMO. It captures exactly how I remember watching Predator on DVD. It has some great looking HD scenes, especially in the forest ares, but has some bad night shots. I prefer that release than the UHE or 3D conversion.

The first pressing is only good in that it's way better than the second pressing but that's not really saying much as the original pressing on blu-ray falls way way short of what I would call an excellent pressing. It's DNRed to hell to such a degree that it looks like someone smeared vasilene all over the screen. Arnie looks as if he's borrowed a facecpack for most of the film it's that bad. It's about time someone told the companies that for 70 years most films were done and released on a lovely medium called celluloid (film to most people) and that most film buffs do not want their blu-ray looking like it's been shot on Red HD.