Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 4, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £15.99

11490425-6374492638937062.jpg

11490425-2144492638989547.jpg 11490425-1664492639074873.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No thanks. How about actually doing some Hitchcock films that haven't been given a steelbook release yet?

Only 4 of his films have been given the treatment so far. Would love rear window and vertigo to finally get some love.

• Thanks
Reactions: virkia
No thanks. How about actually doing some Hitchcock films that haven't been given a steelbook release yet?

Only 4 of his films have been given the treatment so far. Would love rear window and vertigo to finally get some love.

Certainly true with a whole bunch of steelbooks for Hitch's most famous - and notorious (lol) - film PSYCHO, one for NORTH BY NORTHWEST, one for LIFEBOAT and one for THE BIRDS.

. . . and, yes, maybe strange that only 4 films from the "Master of Suspense" have been given the steelbook treatment with the result that I'm seriously beginning to wonder if there is a market for his films in steelbooks with most of his best work now well over 50 years old and with those that have been released not exactly flying off the shelves.
That being said, nearly all of his work has been given Blu-ray Amaray releases so fingers crossed more from his Masterpiece Collection and from other collections (some not even released in the U.K.) make the leap to steelbook.

Big fan of his work myself going back to his pre-REBECCA Hollywood (middle) period and, like you, would wish and hope for more examples including his late period London set FRENZY to be given similar treatment to the aforementioned four titles.

Last edited:
Certainly true with a whole bunch of steelbooks for Hitch's most famous - and notorious (lol) - film PSYCO, one for NORTH BY NORTHWEST, one for LIFEBOAT and one for THE BIRDS.

. . . and, yes, maybe strange that only 4 films from the "Master of Suspense" have been given the steelbook treatment with the result that I'm seriously beginning to wonder if there is a market for his films in steelbooks with most of his best being well over 50 years old and those that have been released not exactly flying off the shelves.
That being said, nearly all of his work has been given Blu-ray Amaray releases so fingers crossed more from his Masterpiece Collection and from other collections (some not even released in the U.K.) make the leap to steelbook.

Big fan of his work myself going back to his pre-REBECCA Hollywood (middle) period and, like you, would wish and hope for more examples including his late period London set FRENZY to be given similar treatment to the aforementioned four titles.
I think the issue is - (most of) the classic film steelbook releases only offer the fact that it is a steelbook. No extras or enticements beyond the steelbook shell. (The exception being THE THIRD MAN edition - which is awesome!). A lot of contemporary films that are just blasé steelbooks don't fly off the shelves for the same reason.

I think the issue is - (most of) the classic film steelbook releases only offer the fact that it is a steelbook. No extras or enticements beyond the steelbook shell.
Don't know about you but I'd be happy with just a dozen or so of The Master's films in steelbooks with learned commentaries . . . even without extra extras.
Some stunning Saul Bass or similar posters out there for the steelbook artwork to go great with NORTH BY NORTHWEST. Goes without saying that similar artwork for PSYCHO - instead of what we've been presented with here - would be a plus.
upload_2017-8-1_0-35-29.png

Last edited:
Don't know about you but I'd be happy with just a dozen or so of The Master's films in steelbooks with learned commentaries . . . even without extra extras.
Some stunning Saul Bass or similar posters out there for the steelbook artwork to go great with NORTH BY NORTHWEST. Goes without saying that similar artwork for PSYCHO - instead of what we've been presented with here - would be a plus.
View attachment 325075
No, I'm personally thrilled to have them. I just think some steelbook collectors expect extras.
For me, great steelbook art is enought. Also love Streetcar steelbook, Lifeboat, etc.
Love having the classics. Need a NIGHT OF THE HUNTER steelbook...

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: robbodoc and virkia
No, I'm personally thrilled to have them. I just think some steelbook collectors expect extras.
For me, great steelbook art is enought. Alos love Streetcar steelbook, Lifeboat, etc.
Love having the classics. Need a NIGHT OF THE HUNTER steelbook...

Wow! Now you're talking my language.
Unlikely to happen as long as it's with Arrow as they're not inclined to release their "Academy" Blu-rays in steelbooks . . . alas.
A dozen of those I'd buy in steelbooks if they changed their mind including LES DIABOLIQUES, LA GRANDE BOUFFE, both "...QUATSIs", THE NAKED CITY, SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, THE TRAIN, THE KILLING, TERROR IN A TEXAS TOWN etc. but accept it's even worse than the Hitchcock situation (4 ffs) with classic films few and far between in steelbooks.

Don't know the situation with Criterion regarding steelbooks for NotH etc. but I suspect they wouldn't be cheap judging by the regular prices of their very smart keep-case editions of GBP 17.99 here in the U.K.

Don't know the situation with Criterion regarding steelbooks for NotH etc. but I suspect they wouldn't be cheap judging by the regular prices of their very smart keep-case editions of GBP 17.99 here in the U.K.
I suspect a lot of Hitchcock fans are much more interested in spending money on the excellent Criterion editions than on a non-Criterion disc in a fancy box. And with Criterion apparently getting back into Hitchcock (39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes available now, Rebecca coming later this year), that's where the interest will be. Maybe something similar for why there aren't more Kurosawa movies in steelbook?

Of course, I have most of the Hitchcock steelbooks and would buy more if they're available. But I (like all the rest of you here) am weird. :)

I suspect a lot of Hitchcock fans are much more interested in spending money on the excellent Criterion editions than on a non-Criterion disc in a fancy box. And with Criterion apparently getting back into Hitchcock (39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes available now, Rebecca coming later this year), that's where the interest will be. Maybe something similar for why there aren't more Kurosawa movies in steelbook?

Of course, I have most of the Hitchcock steelbooks and would buy more if they're available. But I (like all the rest of you here) am weird. :)

Dude, weird to be here?
Surely weird NOT to be here (or on one of the other sites) if you have any interest in or follow steelbook.

As for Kurosawa it's just the one (SEVEN SAMURAI) so treated even worse than Hitch . . . but non-English language films in steelbooks are rare here in the U.K. (as you no doubt know).

As for Hitch on Criterion - already got those pre-Hollywood titles you mentioned from Network right here in the U.K. but would buy again if released in the U.K.in Criterion packaging (at the right price from Zoom or even HMV) plus one of his earliest THE LODGER from the same label.
REBECCA, along with NOTORIOUS and SPELLBOUND, I imported from the U.S. region free MGM who btw are also releasing others from The Master on their Archive label including SUSPICION, THE WRONG MAN (1956) and I CONFESS :thumbs:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
Damn . . . that's one fine steelbook!
However, should have been EX_MACHINA white or even AMERICAN PSYCHO white to look like the white enamelled bath that the image represents.
upload_2017-8-28_18-18-10.png

upload_2017-8-28_18-24-17.png
upload_2017-8-28_18-24-48.png
upload_2017-8-28_18-25-28.png

Last edited: