Quit smoking thread

Glen-BoB

Grampie Blu-Clan
Jan 28, 2009
Dartmouth, NS, CaNaDa
OK, I'm gonna try to quit smoking yet again so I thought I'd start a thread for people to post their horror stories about it, haha. I got the sweats already and I just ran outta smokes 3 hours ago. Can't wait for tomorrow, hahaha.

yeah man, best way is just cold turkey ... I did it,although I've never been able to be addicted to cigs ... my bosses hate me ... I only smoke when I drink and they are so jealous. One doesnt smoke and wishes he could do what I do but knows he'd be buying packs the next day. The other smokes about a pack a day.

Although I havent smoked a cig in well over 2 months ... but I'm thinking about grabbing a pack :p

But for people who cant control it, yeh, quit!!!!

I quit cold turkey 1 year and 8 months ago after smoking for 10 years.. 5 years I was at 2 packs a day and by the end of the next 5 years I was at a half pack a day of light cigs.

I'm not going to lie to you, it was tough.. but here's what I did:

Set a quit date 4 months in advance of quitting. This gave me time to say goodbye to my habit and pay attention to what made me want to smoke. By knowing when I wanted to smoke I would know to avoid or be prepared to fight a nic fit.

The night before my quit day I cleaned. EVERYTHING. All the ash trays were put in the trash, lighters thrown away, the walls were scrubbed and the ceiling was vacuumed the ceiling fans were wiped down and the entire house aroma was replaced with apple cinnamon. Generally we had the house smelling like vanilla and it had to go because it would make me want to smoke. Had to change the smells to trick me into being some place "fresh." - drive a different way to work, avoid breakfast if you are used to smoking after breakfast... change up your routine to get around your "time to smoke" cues. Stop going to bars for awhile and just stay away from smokers in general for at least a week or two.

Told everyone around me that I was quitting for good. When I tell people I'm going to do something I do it. Integrity is my top priority - without it you got nothing.

ATE LOTS OF PICKLES. my god, I never ate so many pickles in my life. The idea was to use the salt/vinegar pickle taste to advert my desire to smoke. Smoking habitually I would use it to pacify me when I was hungry, but by eating pickles I would satisfy my hunger/pacification without adding unnecessary calories. You also become very regular.

Understood I would gain weight, and on the day you quit, start exercising aggressively to a) keep the weight off, and b) it will let you know just how much smoking has turned you into a weakling.

Accepted the fact that I would cheat. You will smoke a cig or two after you quit... Do it as fast as possible. Suck that son of a b*tch down as fast as you possibly can while you walk at a fast pace. It'll knock your dumb ass down to the ground and you'll choke and gag. This is probably the most psychologically damaging thing you can do to your brain to help you quit smoking. Understand at that point that you don't ever want to feel this way again, and that by not lighting up again, you'll never have to. It's okay to screw up, accept it, but don't make it an excuse. The mission is to quit without smoking another cigarette.

Humiliation is key. Ever see the heroin commercial where the chick is clutching the toilet? I scratched my back on the carpet for 45 minutes to get over a nic fit. Now, I remember this moment every time and permanently reject cigs.

Told my family and asked them to be there for me... I asked my family to get angry with me if I failed to quit. There is nothing like having the closest to you show you how disappointed they are if you screw up - it seems messed up, but if you are like me and want to make your family happy it is devestating and helps push you along.

Good luck man... You can beat it.. I did.. and I could - anyone can - and I mean anyone.. I'm pretty serious about my addictions.

Last edited:
I quit cold turkey 1 year and 8 months ago after smoking for 10 years.. 5 years I was at 2 packs a day and by the end of the next 5 years I was at a half pack a day of light cigs.

Set a quit date 4 months in advance of quitting. This gave me time to say goodbye to my habit and pay attention to what made me want to smoke. By knowing when I wanted to smoke I would know to avoid or be prepared to fight a nic fit.

The night before my quit day I cleaned. EVERYTHING. All the ash trays were put in the trash, lighters thrown away, the walls were scrubbed and the ceiling was vacuumed the ceiling fans were wiped down and the entire house aroma was replaced with apple cinnamon. Generally we had the house smelling like vanilla and it had to go because it would make me want to smoke. Had to change the smells to trick me into being some place "fresh." - drive a different way to work, avoid breakfast if you are used to smoking after breakfast... change up your routine to get around your "time to smoke" cues. Stop going to bars for awhile and just stay away from smokers in general for at least a week or two.

Told everyone around me that I was quitting for good. When I tell people I'm going to do something I do it. Integrity is my top priority - without it you got nothing.

ATE LOTS OF PICKLES. my god, I never ate so many pickles in my life. The idea was to use the salt/vinegar pickle taste to advert my desire to smoke. Smoking habitually I would use it to pacify me when I was hungry, but by eating pickles I would satisfy my hunger/pacification without adding unnecessary calories. You also become very regular.

Understood I would gain weight, and on the day you quit, start exercising aggressively to a) keep the weight off, and b) it will let you know just how much smoking has turned you into a weakling.

Accepted the fact that I would cheat. You will smoke a cig or two after you quit... Do it as fast as possible. Suck that son of a b*tch down as fast as you possibly can while you walk at a fast pace. It'll knock your dumb ass down to the ground and you'll choke and gag. This is probably the most psychologically damaging thing you can do to your brain to help you quit smoking. Understand at that point that you don't ever want to feel this way again, and that by not lighting up again, you'll never have to. It's okay to screw up, accept it, but don't make it an excuse. The mission is to quit without smoking another cigarette.

Humiliation is key. Ever see the heroin commercial where the chick is clutching the toilet? I scratched my back on the carpet for 45 minutes to get over a nic fit. Now, I remember this moment every time and permanently reject cigs.

Told my family and asked them to be there for me... I asked my family to get angry with me if I failed to quit. There is nothing like having the closest to you show you how disappointed they are if you screw up - it seems messed up, but if you are like me and want to make your family happy it is devestating and helps push you along.

Good luck man... You can beat it.. I did.. and I could - anyone can - and I mean anyone.. I'm pretty serious about my addictions.

We sound alike, I too have been up to 2 packs a day (here in canada that's 50 cigarettes). the most i've smoked since i moved my smoking outside is half a pack a day. I don't smoke in the house so the cleaning thing is pretty easy, haha. I haven't smoked inside for prolly 15 years. I hate the smell of it now and I can't stand the smell of smoke on even when I am smoking. all good advise thanks for it. I will use it.

We sound alike, I too have been up to 2 packs a day (here in canada that's 50 cigarettes). the most i've smoked since i moved my smoking outside is half a pack a day. I don't smoke in the house so the cleaning thing is pretty easy, haha. I haven't smoked inside for prolly 15 years. I hate the smell of it now and I can't stand the smell of smoke on even when I am smoking. all good advise thanks for it. I will use it.

Just every time you get urgggg to have one. Eat something have a mint or a soft sweet. Or get some patches :D

I laughed...I cried

But most importantly, it makes me want to start smoking so I can eat a bunch of pickles.

:hilarious:

Seriuosly, I'm glad I never started smoking. I inhale enough from everyone else.

Last edited:
Almost as if on cue, my new signature must have known i had to break down and have a smoke today. this is a BAD week to even consider this. I got 2 huge deadlines due at work on friday. I will still cut it down but I think the "no smoking at all" rule will have to wait a bit.

Almost as if on cue, my new signature must have known i had to break down and have a smoke today. this is a BAD week to even consider this. I got 2 huge deadlines due at work on friday. I will still cut it down but I think the "no smoking at all" rule will have to wait a bit.

Glenn be strong and believe you can do it :D

Well after not having a *** for 2 months...i had one today :(

And i have no one else to blame so i am blaming this thread EEK!

**** man, sorry i started it. how'd it taste? didja enjoy it?? i know I gave them up for 6 months once but then I was stuck in the Montreal airport on a lay over and I just had to have a smoke. You could smoke in the Montreal airport long after they were banned ion other airports. The haze in the air got me along with the stress of my planes being delayed. It was one of the best tasting smokes I ever had, haha.

You know probably about a year into not smoking I had a cig... yeah it was familiar, not really all that enjoyable, and when I woke up the next day my throat was all jacked up...

Although, I don't know if I can count this, but every once in awhile when I have a nice big heavy beer.. I dig a good cigar. And when I say once in awhile I mean like one in like... months apart.

of course cigars you don't inhale, but you still get a wicked nicotine buzz.. never made me want to go get a pack of smokes though

Glenn its cool dont worry lol yeah was good actually, now im stuck with a pack i will finish and then i will stop again. :D

Alpha, i love a good cigar with a drink makes it go down well. Can't say i have had a cigar in a long time though.

hey i thought we were talking about Bud....has anyone had problems smoking that..interesting subject that's all....STICKY ICKY..