USA
Release date: November 16, 2021
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $19.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21
Notes: PET slip, new disc artwork, glossy steelbook

ran.png

Last edited:
Having studied art in his youth Akira Kurosawa drew and painted throughout his life and it's perhaps not surprising that famous paintings worked their way into certain scenes in his movies - for example DREAMS (1992) / 'Wheat Field With Crows' (1890) by Van Gogh ...
1626023466405.png

... and I suspect he'd have quite liked this steelbook art with its swirling and flowing van Gogh-esque touches

Absolutely stunning artwork. The artist Zi Xu has spoke a bit about the design on twitter and I think she’s made an incredible piece here with great use of the PET (metallic gold fire - mentioned on the second tweet)

Love artwork, the only downside - it's BestBuy and getting perfect copy will be like playing russian rulette with exception that here at BB u mostly know what you'll get - copy dented or spineslashed in one way or another. And for collectors - at least for me that's no go.

Love artwork, the only downside - it's BestBuy and getting perfect copy will be like playing russian rulette with exception that here at BB u mostly know what you'll get - copy dented or spineslashed in one way or another. And for collectors - at least for me that's no go.

Not completely true at all from the group buy side. Anything I see that's obviously dented, has a spine slash on the steelbook itself has been returned in the past, and will be in the future.

With these slips its a lot easier to spot damage (not 100% but wayyyyyy better than j-cards)

To further clarify - spine slashes on the steelbook itself do not happen at the retailer. They happen at the distributor when they put the discs in. The steelbooks arrive to the distributor in a box without discs. When they open up that box that's closely packed,
that's when the spine slash can happen.

Reactions: Balraj and 5t33lb0y
BestBuy continuing to do it right! Wish the UK would hurry up and take note.

Definitely interested in a GB for both this and Unbreakable. ;)

Reactions: apsmith21
I have to find out why I don't like this. I cannot articulate it right now.
I have had a change of opinion on this. I like it now, very much.
I want to apologize to the artist since I think my initial reaction
was due to a medication I am taking. I suspected the dose was
too high so I ran ;) to my doctor to get the dose lowered.

No matter how good the artwork, I just can't love a steel that does not have a title on. I know the slip has it, but personally, I'd display this glossy bad boy without it

There's a different artwork on the steelbook voting page for some reason (which looks a bit better IMO)

Ugh. I'm disappointed if this is going to be the steelbook. The other design had a ton of colors, and had the potential to really pop like a Mondo steelbook.

This "vote" option makes it seem that there is no interest in the title, and they went with a cheaper to product (less colors) steelbook. :(

Ugh. I'm disappointed if this is going to be the steelbook. The other design had a ton of colors, and had the potential to really pop like a Mondo steelbook.

This "vote" option makes it seem that there is no interest in the title, and they went with a cheaper to product (less colors) steelbook. :(

Yeah that’s an absolute downer. I’ve never seen the film but that original art is one of the best I’ve seen on a steel (you can see the beautiful finish in your mind) and the PET looked again like one of the best PETs I’ve seen. That new art is rubbish. What an absolute shame and kick in the teeth to the artist

Has Zi Xu deleted her twitter account? Her tweet is deleted and I can’t get on her page. Weird.

• Wow
Reactions: Mararagan
Changing original artwork to something that looks like a Photoshop collage is not an improvement. Zi Xu's Instagram is still up, with the Ran post there, but her Twitter account is gone. Mysteries...

Very interesting.

I found her instagram post - still talks about the design there

Changing original artwork to something that looks like a Photoshop collage is not an improvement. Zi Xu's Instagram is still up, with the Ran post there, but her Twitter account is gone. Mysteries...

Thats odd. I don’t use insta at the moment. I’m on a hiatus (for just over a year). Both accounts. So I can’t check her there but it’s very weird her twitter has gone. Loved following her