Rate the Movie You Recently Watched

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
Use the Ninjas for rating (copy and paste)

Half Ninja = Terrible

HalfN.png

1 Ninja = Poor
1N.png

2 Ninjas = Ok
1N.png
1N.png

3 Ninjas = Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

4 Ninjas = Very Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

5 Ninjas = Excellent
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

movieratings.jpg
movierate.jpg

Last edited:
I was surprised at this being made. I really was expecting a 3rd film with Ron Pearlman who was born to play the role.
A third instalment starring Pearlman and directed by GDT is what everyone wanted... apart from the studio, apparently. I'm sure they're regretting it now though!

John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019)
full.png
full.png
full.png
full.png
empty.png

Wick showing no signs of slowing down... this was literally 2 hours of non-stop action, and I loved every minute!

Chisum 1970

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

There is no doubt the older John Wayne got the better his films got and in the last 10 years of his life he made some serious gems. This is one of them
He plays a land owner in the Wild West who has to deal with a ruthless Land Grabbing Developer played by Forrest Tucker. Great film with some serious action.

Some lovely touches.

He goes to visit an old Native American Chief on the reservation who's an old friend and the Army Sergeant is treating him roughly. John Wayne just smiles and offers the Sergeant a cigar. He lights the cigar and whispers in the Sergeant's ear "Touch him again, I'll kill ye. Powerful and understated. But the threat is conveyed and the Sergeant backs off./SPOILER]

The Man Who Never Was 1955

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

True story of a British attempt to trick the enemy into weakening Sicily's defenses before the 1943 attack, using a dead man with faked papers.
A rather unusual tale starring Clifton Webb and Gloria Grahame. Won't spoil the plot but very very enjoyable and some nice surprises along the way.
Unusual for a British film of this period full colour, stereo and widescreen. Currently only available on blu-ray in the UK.

This island Earth 1955

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

This is the new Shout factory restoration and very very impressive it is too. What strikes you about the film to day is the imagination on show especially when they get to Metaluna.... No CGI but a level of awe permutates every scene. You really could believe it was 2.5 years in the making.
As an added bonus you now have the original Perspecta stereo sound (look it up) and combined with the visuals it's a glorious treat and I think one of the last films to be made in technicolor....
Enjoy and to quote The Thing from another World "Keep watching the skies"

The Revenant 2015

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

An astonishing film starring Leonardo Dicaprio as the legendary explorer Hugh Glass in 1820's America who is left for dead after a brutal bear attack and abandoned by a treacherous member but survives looking for revenge. A powerful and visually stunning film which remains in the mind long after you see it.
A 100% must see film. A rare modern film for me that actually lives up to the hype.

The Devil Rides Out 1968

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

For me the last true great Hammer horror film. Yes there were some excellent ones after this but none had that special magic that made them certifiable classics. In this tale of black Magic Duc De Richleau (Christopher Lee) has been trusted with the care of his dead friend's son and finds to his horror the Son Simon Aron (Patrick Mower) is involved in a deadly Satanic Cult led by the chilling Mocota (Charles Grey). With the help of friends The Duc De Richleau has to fight for the very souls of his friends.....

This is one of the rare times where i applaud CGI updates. The classic was always marred by poor special effects which drew you out of the plot particularly the bad matte lines. These have all been corrected for this blu-ray and makes for very satisfying viewing.

Godzilla (1954)
full.png
full.png
full.png
empty.png
empty.png

When I was a kid, my best friend's uncle owned a VHS store, so he pretty much had every film in existence at his fingertips. His parents allowed us to watch Terminator 2, Chucky (all of them), among other movies that would be considered pretty horrific for children... and yet, Godzilla was always a no-go for some reason, despite me showing my interest every time they allowed us to choose a film. All these years later, and I finally got around to checking it out by myself! To say I was a little disappointed would be unfair, since I can definitely see its brilliance... however, I guess it just wasn't quite what I expected overall. Not being allowed to watch it as a kid gave me the impression that it was extremely violent/scary, which it isn't at all. I'm sure I'll appreciate it more on rewatch, as is often the case with such classics.

Alita:Battle Angel
1564260302560.png
1564260311389.png

Awesome world building, amazing 3D, and one of the most believable CGI characters ever created.

But the story is literally the same as the CGI AstroBoy film that came out some years back.

Reactions: Sigill and Noodles
Alita:Battle Angel
View attachment 440116View attachment 440117
Awesome world building, amazing 3D, and one of the most believable CGI characters ever created.

But the story is literally the same as the CGI AstroBoy film that came out some years back.
Haha oh man, you're totally right! I'd completely forgotten about AstroBoy... wasn't a fan of that film either though to be honest lol.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)
full.png
full.png
full.png
empty.png
empty.png

Not a patch on the 2014 Godzilla IMO. I honestly think they went too big too soon... the main thing I loved about the first movie was that it built up the suspense (something Gareth Edwards also did amazingly well with in his debut film Monsters) - kinda like Alien, in which we only get to see a couple of minutes of the actual "monster" itself. Overall the plot just felt very cliché and even clumsy at times, plus I didn't really care about any of the characters. All that being said, it did keep me thoroughly entertained for the most part, so I guess I can't complain too much (hence the 3 star rating, rather than 2).

Reactions: vexred and Sigill