Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread

Flash

Premium Supporter
Jan 17, 2014
I couldn't find another thread about this (if there is please merge) or maybe there just isn't many rugby fans here but I thought I would open one anyway incase there are and anyone wants to discuss it here.

I don't know if anyone saw the Japan vs South Africa game last night but it was incredibly moment of history. I have watched rugby for many many years and it was one of those game, absolutely unbelievable, it was the best result for an underdog in a long time. Japan played so well, good tries and to go for the win after 80mins against South Africa and get it, what a victory, honestly wonderful scenes after the final whistle. I thought SA would win by like 40 points or something.

I didn't see the Samoa game this morning but just watching Wales see how they do, not the best start giving away a penalty to Uraquay within two minutes but we shall see.

Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
They should have gone for the kick better than a loss but ah well, hope Scotland have a good game tomoz :)

@Flash To be fair after seeing replays that tackle looked worse than it was... The Welsh player attempted to wrap his arms around the English player, meaning no yellow card needed as no foul play.

@Scary Hair I agree, we definitely should have kicked, and then could still have attempted for another try/kick at goal in the remaining minutes. I would put the "crash bang wallop" rugby down to how passionate the players are, both sides went in for enormous tackles... Which ended in a lot of Welsh players getting injured! Farrell is a brilliant kicker though it must be said!

YES, the ref actually being in charge of the game is what I love too. You get these absolutely HUGE players that look like they could crush you with one hand, but as soon as the ref says something they immediately...

"Football is a gentleman’s game played by hooligans, and Rugby is a hooligans’ game played by gentlemen", a quote which I think sums it up pretty well.

I'm not looking forward to having to beat Australia to be in with a chance to make it out of the Pool stage!

@whysoserious? Welcome to the world of rugby ;) I urge you to watch more of the World Cup, you won't regret it!
i was dating a girl last year from widnes and she was a massive st helens fan so i watched a final with her last year , super league i think?
if i remember a guy got sent off for a punch in 1st min , i enjoyed that game , great atmosphere with her family in the local
never ended up talking up watching , guess with football golf and new nhl season starting next week , there is too much on , will catch england though

Thanks guys ;)

Yes honestly @whysoserious?
I would urge you to continue to watch the World Cup, if you can try and watch the highlights from the japan vs South Africa game it was incredible and I've watched rugby my whole life.

@Flash To be fair after seeing replays that tackle looked worse than it was... The Welsh player attempted to wrap his arms around the English player, meaning no yellow card needed as no foul play

I disagree but each to their own having seen Scottish player Evans not being able to ever play rugby thanks to a similar tackle I have to disagree was dangerous.

Reactions: whysoserious?
"Football is a gentleman’s game played by hooligans, and Rugby is a hooligans’ game played by gentlemen", a quote which I think sums it up pretty well.

I agree with this though and about Owen he is an awesome kicker

Thanks guys ;)

Yes honestly @whysoserious?
I would urge you to continue to watch the World Cup, if you can try and watch the highlights from the japan vs South Africa game it was incredible and I've watched rugby my whole life.
Isn't it typical that this is the only game of the World Cup so far that I have missed?! I will have to catch up on it, apparently Japan did what England failed to do today in the final moments of the game.

Reactions: Flash
Isn't it typical that this is the only game of the World Cup so far that I have missed?! I will have to catch up on it, apparently Japan did what England failed to do today in the final moments of the game.

Exactly they were so brave and I guess England hoped to replicate that but failed, still gutted I am not happy bunny about the loss :(

But yeah try watch highlights, you can't get the incredible emotions as it was so unexpected but still good to see. :)

Dan Biggar, take a bow, awesome....

Sadly Stuart Lancaster decision to shoe horn Sam Burgess in no matter what has not worked, I'm a Bath fan and last year it was obvious he was not a back hence why he was moved.....fortune favour's the brave, and Lancaster although a nice bloke and a good coach was schooled by Gatland, a midfield of Barrit and Burgess will create zero at this level, shame to see the most talented player of his generation Danny Cipriani on itv as a pundit and not unlocking Wales defence.....

Dan Biggar, take a bow, awesome....

Sadly Stuart Lancaster decision to shoe horn Sam Burgess in no matter what has not worked, I'm a Bath fan and last year it was obvious he was not a back hence why he was moved.....fortune favour's the brave, and Lancaster although a nice bloke and a good coach was schooled by Gatland, a midfield of Barrit and Burgess will create zero at this level, shame to see the most talented player of his generation Danny Cipriani on itv as a pundit and not unlocking Wales defence.....

Please be joking about Cipriani, why he was even a pundit is a bit embarrassing in my view.
The boy was never amazing and was given chance after chance and sadly was too interested in being 'famous' getting with Kelly Brook and Jordon than focusing on his rugby. Sorry my opinion.

That's fair enough, however he ended his relationship with Kelly Brook and moved to Australia to play for the rebel's and put his rugby first, I base my opinion on the 100+ games I've attended and he is the best player I have seen in the flesh, on each occasion he has been inspired. ..

That's fair enough, however he ended his relationship with Kelly Brook and moved to Australia to play for the rebel's and put his rugby first, I base my opinion on the 100+ games I've attended and he is the best player I have seen in the flesh, on each occasion he has been inspired. ..

Each to their own but i totally disagree he's had so many outside issues, I mean he was arrested in June, not the role model for England I am afraid.

Anyway we shall agree to disagree.

Who you think was best player for England in today's game?

Owen Farrell was outstanding IMO, front row scrummaged well, but ultimately for me it came down to Lancaster's selection and Gatland nailing Wales gameplan to counter that, Henry Slade should have been involved, and I hope Jack Nowell gets game time, both great players...

Owen Farrell was outstanding IMO, front row scrummaged well, but ultimately for me it came down to Lancaster's selection and Gatland nailing Wales gameplan to counter that, Henry Slade should have been involved, and I hope Jack Nowell gets game time, both great players...

Agreed Owen must start remaining games just wish he had kicked that last penalty at least for the draw :(.
But to be honest that was an already weakened Wales so think it could have been worse had it been full strength Wales, ah well onto the next..

Agreed Owen must start remaining games just wish he had kicked that last penalty at least for the draw :(.
But to be honest that was an already weakened Wales so think it could have been worse had it been full strength Wales, ah well onto the next..
I'd have tried Farrell at 12 and Ford at 10 in the friendlies. .

@Ultron96

It has been a missed opportunity leaving out players with flair and pace . 30 spots its hard to say who deserves a place and who dosen't .

I WHOLEHARTEDLY BACK UP @SteelbookGenius666 to the core Egland NEEDED Cipriani and Care . The chosen team is good for 1 thing only . Knocking down walls . O.K so he dated Kelly Brook the investigation into the crash is delayed innocent untill proven gulty . He should have been on that feild IF he had have been the out come I feel England win.

Rugby is now about evasion . This side has to meny donkeys giving away to meny penalties Wales won fair and square credit to them .