Rumor: NVIDIA Tegra to power next-gen Nintendo DS; HD Screen on the way?

Apr 2, 2009
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/13/nvidia-tegra-to-power-next-gen-nintendo-ds/

While Microsoft tries to figure out if it should take Tegra-powered Zune HD in a gaming direction or the Xbox in a portable direction, there are wild rumorings from the underground that claim Nintendo is planning on using Tegra to power a next generation DS handheld. The primary source on this comes from Bright Side of News (which doesn't have a big track record to judge by), who claims the debut is planned for late 2010 and conjectures that the device could either use the upcoming 45nm 2nd-gen Tegra tech, or the existing, tried-and-true 65nm chip. There were rumors from Yahoo! Games of a Tegra DS afoot at GamesCom in August, with higher resolution screens and full backwards compatibility, and PC Perspective also claims its own NVIDIA insiders are confirming this -- the evidence is certainly stacking up. If it turns out to be true it's going to mean a pretty dramatic jump forward in portable gaming power, but either way this generation of handhelds seems due for a refresh, and there's plenty of ultra compact silicon floating about to make a graphical leap possible.

Next DS To Have HD Screen, Potentially 720p

Boy, that Satoru Iwata has been awfully mouthy recently. In addition to sounding off about the next DS having a motion sensor, he also told Asahi that it'll have a higher-resolution screen. A HIGH DEFINITION screen.

Upgrading the 256 x 192 DS, the next DS incarnation—after the DSi XL—will have a 1024 x 768 screen according to several sites, which is very close to a decent 720p res. Iwata also confirmed Nintendo is in talks with several networks for connected DS consoles, which is something he mentioned a few months back when he touched upon the likelihood of allowing ebooks to be downloaded over 3G.

looks like i may be getting a nintendo handheld again :scat:

wow. yah count me in for one if its got a high-res screen

DS definitely has the games, the only thing that has kept me from ever getting one is the handheld itself. never liked the layout it has now.

i think the most exciting thing about this, is what it means for the psp2. if anyone has seen my rumor thread over on br.com, the psp2 has the potential to have near 360 level graphics.

sony will want to beat nintendo, you do the math ;)

i think the most exciting thing about this, is what it means for the psp2. if anyone has seen my rumor thread over on br.com, the psp2 has the potential to have near 360 level graphics.

sony will want to beat nintendo, you do the math ;)

shesh. that would be nuts.

course, it would cost $500. if the next gen DS is half the price, we'll see 2006 part 2 again

shesh. that would be nuts.

course, it would cost $500. if the next gen DS is half the price, we'll see 2006 part 2 again

i think we'll see the same price as last time, $299. the mobile chips are getting incredibly powerful

Dude PSP had the potential to beat the DS but its not about graphics or how clean it will look. That's only for the hardcore, Nintendo is going for the casual gamer and those amount to many more than hardcore gamers.

the gameboy advance was the last nintendo handheld i owned, too kiddie for me. and with the phones surpassing the power of the ds and psp, nobody is going to want to bother with the ds and psp. power is the way to go

the gameboy advance was the last nintendo handheld i owned, too kiddie for me. and with the phones surpassing the power of the ds and psp, nobody is going to want to bother with the ds and psp. power is the way to go

Yeah to the hardcore, just take a look at the Wii and how much it has sold, it's nothing but a rehashed Gamecube, it's not all about power it's about novelty. Nintendo has what no one else does: Super Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.

We can argue over this, but there's the numbers that don't lie. I am all about the power and enjoy the best a device can give. Don't get me wrong.

Yeah to the hardcore, just take a look at the Wii and how much it has sold, it's nothing but a rehashed Gamecube, it's not all about power it's about novelty. Nintendo has what no one else does: Super Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.

We can argue over this, but there's the numbers that don't lie. I am all about the power and enjoy the best a device can give. Don't get me wrong.

if it wasn't about power the next time..why are they talking wii hd and an hd handheld? :p

they can't sit by as phones pass up the ds, and what else can they add to the wii 2 if its not a bunch of power? there's nothing else to add. your casual buyer isn't going to care about wii 2 unless there's a reason to upgrade

yah, i think novelty had a lot to do with it, especially since both MS and Sony were pushing graphics hungry FPS-appealing consoles, while nintendo had the family friendly, cartoony yet recognizable line of Mario, Zelda, etc., but i also think price had another HUGE factor into their success this generation. if the wii had released for $350, im not so sure its as big of a pandemic.

that could also maybe explain why they are [allegedly] pushing graphics for the next time around: its affordable to make an HD gaming console now. that, and i think we really have seen a limit to how far motion control can take us in gaming in its current form. it works great for mini-games and family games, but it loses the foundational core of gameplay most new games are successful with. nobody plays FPS with motion controls. nobody plays realistic sporting games (other than golf) with motion controls.

Its all about recognizing the market and deciding what type of product works at that particular time. In 2006, price, novelty/innovation was something that was going to work. However, 2011/12 it appears novelty/innovation has lost its luster, and the price isn't as big of an advantage anymore with every other HD console under $300 now. If Nintendo released a console that was as good as, or slightly worse than, a PS3, people wouldn't buy it, because they already have their innovative machine in the Wii. Nintendo needs a HD gaming machine this next time around in order to play the market properly IMO.

apparent concept of the new ds.
2q8mumc.jpg

apparent details.. http://pastebin.com/m18eda1ba