Sherlock Season 1 (Blu-ray SteelBook) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

Release Date: 14th December 2015
Purchase Link:
HMV UK
HDN Group Buy: Click HERE <( for 1, 2 or 3 series or Abominable Bride)
Price:
£19.99
s1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Massive fan of SH in all his incarnations with a preference for Basil Rathbone closely followed by Jeremy Brett and Peter Cushing.
Naturally read all the long and short stories as a teenager and mindful that Conan Doyle went to the same school and by the fact that he used several of the school settings in his stories - in particular the Yew Walk for "The Hound of the Baskervilles".

That being said, I strongly feel that this is OTT pricing - GBP 60 for 3 individual steelbooks - when we could have had something similar to the Italian jumbo steel containing seasons 1 - 3 for the equivalent of GBP 35 and that could be followed by another jumbo steel for seasons 4 - 6.
Would go for the singles (unless the jumbo had bonus content not included in the singles a la "BttF" trilogy) but not on your nelly at 20 quid a pop - more reasonably @GBP 11.99 each.

The story doing the rounds when I was there back in the day (and probably one of those urban myths) is that Sir Arthur C.D. was expelled, or suspended, from school because he held up an umbrella whilst being reprimanded by one of the priests (Jesuit school so all masters were priests) who was well known for his habit of ejecting quantities of spittle with his telling offs.

I realise that it's not really relevant to the pricing of these three steelbooks but the
"Sherlock: Complete Seasons 1 - 3" boxset is available at Amazon and Zavvi for just under 20 quid . .
If you really want a treat- check out the old 1950 BBC Radio shows of Sherlock Holmes with Sir John Gielgud as Holmes and Sir Ralph Richardson as Watson. They do the whole Conan Doyle cycle- topped with "The Final Problem" with Orson Welles as Moriarty!!!

Reactions: virkia
There are only 9 episodes total, so why the hell are the BBC releasing three separate SteelBooks? That's £60 for 9 episodes, or £6.66 per episode! What an absolute rip off! £19.99 is far too much for a SteelBook containing just three 1 & a half hour episodes! I'm pretty sure that they could have bundled them all in one package for a more reasonable price (like £30-£45). Such an unnecessary waste of materials! BBC have no clue whatsoever!
You can also look at it as having 3 complete 90 minute movies per steelbook. 3 movies for that price doesn't seem so wrong.

Reactions: Bruckle
Ordered all three. Great designs and very consistent.

I hope the other seasons which follow will be the same....they better, I'm taking a huge risk here when a series hasn't finished yet

I think I'm the odd one out, but I'm just not a fan of that design. Oh well, saves me some money I suppose!

Reactions: Flloydo
Love the artwork, don't own any of the series and if you do think of them as 3x 90min films for £19.99 they're not bad value...
... unfortunately just too broke to order them all right now. Might have to wait and see if they price drop in store after Chirstmas

You can get all three seasons on bluray for under £20 and most people already own it, these should have been £10 each at most
If you go off that reasoning (and I'm not saying it is wrong) then a hell of a lot of steels should be around half the price they're asking, but us mugs still buy them

If you go off that reasoning (and I'm not saying it is wrong) then a hell of a lot of steels should be around half the price they're asking, but us mugs still buy them

No it is not the same as normal steelbooks.

This is a series and this is a 'Christmas episode' that will be included in the series so if they are to continue these steels then this episode with be included in the next series box sets (and steelbook version) as they always are so releasing that one episode onto a steelbook is pretty sad.

It's not the same as anything else, no steelbook specifically has been in this position.

No it is not the same as normal steelbooks. This is a series and this is a 'Christmas episode' that will be included in the series so if they are to continue these steels then this episode with be included in the next series box sets (and steelbook version) as they always are so releasing that one episode onto a steelbook is pretty sad. It's not the same as anything else, no steelbook specifically has been in this position.
You're commenting on Season 1 thread, right? And mentioned just the 3 seasons. I don't get what your point is.

Relevant or not, the thing I'm getting at is JP Trilogy has been ~£15 on BD for ages, BTTF Tri ~£12, Matrix Tri ~£10, steels get sold separately at ~£15 each. All those steels got released with the same discs, no remaster. Same goes for pretty much most of Zavvi's catalogue, especially the Studio Canal ones.

No it is not the same as normal steelbooks.

This is a series and this is a 'Christmas episode' that will be included in the series so if they are to continue these steels then this episode with be included in the next series box sets (and steelbook version) as they always are so releasing that one episode onto a steelbook is pretty sad.

It's not the same as anything else, no steelbook specifically has been in this position.

The Christmas episode is getting a standalone release on Blu-ray and is available to pre-order on Amazon for £14.75. I understand your point but they're not releasing Steels on a per episode basis. This is more of a TV movie than an episode so I doubt this will be included in the Series 4 boxset.

Reactions: davhyl
The Christmas episode is getting a standalone release on Blu-ray and is available to pre-order on Amazon for £14.75. I understand your point but they're not releasing Steels on a per episode basis. This is more of a TV movie than an episode so I doubt this will be included in the Series 4 boxset.

It is not a tv movie, it's the Christmas episode (Benedict has called it that many times on tv already) and yes they are releasing it on its own as they always do with these things particularly doctor who. It will be included in the box set as they always are with doctor who.

You're commenting on Season 1 thread, right? And mentioned just the 3 seasons. I don't get what your point is.

Relevant or not, the thing I'm getting at is JP Trilogy has been ~£15 on BD for ages, BTTF Tri ~£12, Matrix Tri ~£10, steels get sold separately at ~£15 each. All those steels got released with the same discs, no remaster. Same goes for pretty much most of Zavvi's catalogue, especially the Studio Canal ones.

My apologises it should have been in the appropriate thread but people were discussing the Christmas episode also. My point simply was in my opinion it's a milking cow that the Christmas episode should be released on its own in steelbook when it will be if they continue the steelbooks included in the series 4 box set as they often are particularly with doctor who.

If they don't include it and it is standalone then great. It is a very cool series that deserves nice releases.

Last edited:
Reactions: davhyl
It is not a tv movie, it's the Christmas episode (Benedict has called it that many times on tv already) and yes they are releasing it on its own as they always do with these things particularly doctor who. It will be included in the box set as they always are with doctor who.

My apologises it should have been in the appropriate thread but people were discussing the Christmas episode also. My point simply was in my opinion it's a milking cow that the Christmas episode should be released on its own in steelbook when it will be if they continue the steelbooks included in the series 4 box set as they often are particularly with doctor who.

If they don't include it and it is standalone then great. It is a very cool series that deserves nice releases.

I know it's not a TV movie but my point is that it's duration is not episodic. If it was a 20 minute special it would be an entirely different matter but these are feature length. That said the special should not be priced the same as the respectively released series. One series (essentially three films) £19.99. Expensive compared to the amaray but one special (one film) for the same price...hmm. :wow: Considering it's a new release unlike the others I think it should be £11.99. Series 1-3 £13.99 each.

Reactions: harry
I know it's not a TV movie but my point is that it's duration is not episodic. If it was a 20 minute special it would be an entirely different matter but these are feature length. That said the special should not be priced the same as the respectively released series. One series (essentially three films) £19.99. Expensive compared to the amaray but one special (one film) for the same price...hmm. :wow: Considering it's a new release unlike the others I think it should be £11.99. Series 1-3 £13.99 each.

I am not sure I have ever seen a 20 minutes Christmas special? Lol that would be expensive £20 for 20 mins.

The price was one of my main points, the series is £19.99 so the special should be cheaper or not released in steelbook but wait to include it in the next series box set as most do.

Since "The Abominable Bride" has its own thread, shouldn't all of the posts about it be in that thread, rather than here, in that for Series 1?

I would also reiterate the point, made many times already in that thread, that it is a 'stand alone' feature and not an integral part of the TV series. The action takes place during the late Victorian era, unlike the present day setting of the TV episodes. It is also getting a cinema release.

It makes perfect sense, therefore, for it to be released on home video independently of the various TV series. I'd agree that the price is a little high but I, for one, am glad to see it released separately.

Since "The Abominable Bride" has its own thread, shouldn't all of the posts about it be in that thread, rather than here, in that for Series 1?

I would also reiterate the point, made many times already in that thread, that it is a 'stand alone' feature and not an integral part of the TV series. The action takes place during the late Victorian era, unlike the present day setting of the TV episodes. It is also getting a cinema release.

It makes perfect sense, therefore, for it to be released on home video independently of the various TV series. I'd agree that the price is a little high but I, for one, am glad to see it released separately.

It is still the CHRISTMAS EPISODE.
Just because they have decided to do it a bit different as it is Christmas does not make it a standalone feature.