snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: January 11th, 2016
Purchase link: hmv.com
Price: £19.99
HDN Group Buy: Click HERE <( for 1, 2 or 3 series or Abominable Bride)

01-194707.jpg

Last edited:
Odd thing to release. Christmas specials are always included in the later series box sets so to release it on its own is strange.

• Informative
Reactions: InAFalsetto
Odd thing to release. Christmas specials are always included in the later series box sets so to release it on its own is strange.

It's set outside the series continuity so stands on its own.

It's more a 'special' special. A bit like The Day of the Doctor which got an individual release and was pared up with The Time of the Doctor for the 50th anniversary set.

It's described most places as the Christmas special regardless of how they've done it and will be included any special always is, so you will be paying it twice. At most it should be £10 it's one episode, same price as the series ones?? Lol ok

As others here have already pointed out, it's a 'stand alone' title and not part of the existing TV series.

The TV series have transposed Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories to the present day, the principal reason I have no interest in them.

This new one returns Holmes and Watson to the original late Victorian setting of Doyle's stories. For that reason alone, I might be interested in adding it to my collection.

The other fundamental difference between this and the TV episodes, is that it is also getting a cinema release.

If this is successful, I would hope that they revisit other stories, such as "The Hound of the Baskervilles", which cry out for both a period setting, as well as the big screen treatment.

It's a blatant rip-off! £80 for what amounts to 9 episodes and a feature length special. £20 per SteelBook. Could all have been bundled together in a single SteelBook release for £35 and be done with it. The BBC certainly know how to gouge the market!

• Informative
Reactions: Metasyntactic
It's a blatant rip-off! £80 for what amounts to 9 episodes and a feature length special. £20 per SteelBook. Could all have been bundled together in a single SteelBook release for £35 and be done with it. The BBC certainly know how to gouge the market!
Series 1/2/3 and Christmas Special The Abominable Bride would be a minimum of 7 or 8 discs and would mean a Jumbo Steelbook
With more TV seasons to come and possible more specials Individual steelbooks is a better option

Series 1/2/3 = 6 Discs (2 Blu-ray discs per series)
Each series is 261 minutes long as in 4 hours 35 minutes per season
Series 1/2/3 = 13 Hours

The New Year's Day special The Abominable Bride is a one off special not connected to the TV series timeline and is listed as been 2 Blu-ray Discs but possible might be only 1 Disc unless there is an extras discs to be the second Blu-ray

Sherlock series 4 will only start production in 2016 and be shown on TV sometime in 2017

When you have a series like this Individual steelbooks make more sense as it's a continuing TV series with more seasons TV series to come as in Season 4 and so on

The price yes is a bit high but not that much compared to Individual amaray releases of other steelbook releases of a same film or tv series that get a steelbook release
New Steelbooks releases that are 2 Discs each are mostly priced in the region of £15.99-£24.99 with other releases

The New Year's Day special The Abominable Bride Blu-ray Amaray release is priced at £15 to £17 with retailers it a pre order item only at the moment not shown yet on TV or the Cinema
So the The Abominable Bride steelbook price of £19.99 is normal price considering it's a steelbook as they are more expensive than a amaray

The TV series 1/2/3 I do agree they are a bit overpriced at £19.99 and should be £12.99 to £15.99 instead and will most likely drop in price anyway in the new year to be around £15.99 or less

I would only be interested in Individual steelbooks with more TV Series Seasons to be made

Box sets of a series like this is Individual amaray releases in a box set
Steelbook jumbo is a big no with me with this TV series I would rather purchase a amaray box set than a jumbo steelbook so Individual steelbooks is very important to me instead of a jumbo steelbook

As a big fan of sherlock Holmes these are 100% purchases I just hope HMV Ireland will have them available

Last edited:
Reactions: luke98
Series 1/2/3 and Christmas Special The Abominable Bride would be a minimum of 7 or 8 discs and would mean a Jumbo Steelbook
With more TV seasons to come and possible more specials Individual steelbooks is a better option

Series 1/2/3 = 6 Discs (2 Blu-ray discs per series)
Each series is 261 minutes long as in 4 hours 35 minutes per season
Series 1/2/3 = 13 Hours

The New Year's Day special The Abominable Bride is a one off special not connected to the TV series timeline and is listed as been 2 Blu-ray Discs but possible might be only 1 Disc unless there is an extras discs to be the second Blu-ray

Sherlock series 4 will only start production in 2016 and be shown on TV sometime in 2017

When you have a series like this Individual steelbooks make more sense as it a continuing TV series with more seasons TV series to come as in Season 4 and so on

The price yes is a bit high but not that much compared to Individual amaray releases of other steelbook releases of a same film or tv series that get a steelbook release
New Steelbooks releases that are 2 Discs each are mostly priced in the region of £15.99-£24.99 with other releases

The New Year's Day special The Abominable Bride Blu-ray Amaray release is priced at £15 to £17 with retailers it a pre order item only at the moment not shown yet on TV or the Cinema
So the The Abominable Bride steelbook price of £19.99 is normal price considering it's a steelbook as they are more expensive than a amaray

The TV series 1/2/3 I do agree they are a bit overpriced at £19.99 and should be £12.99 to £15.99 instead and will most likely drop in price anyway in the new year to be around £15.99 or less

I would only be interested in Individual steelbooks with more TV Series Seasons to be made

Box sets of a series like this is Individual amaray releases in a box set
Steelbook jumbo is a big no with me with this TV series

As a big fan of sherlock Holmes these are 100% purchases I just hope HMV Ireland will have them available

I'd love to get the full set, but already having all 3 series on blu ray, it's too expensive. I'll probably get this as I want it on blu ray anyway and like you say it's only a bit more than the amaray. Hopefully there would be a price drop on 1-3.

Problem is though, if they don't sell well, we might not see future series in steelbook.

I'd love to get the full set, but already having all 3 series on blu ray, it's too expensive. I'll probably get this as I want it on blu ray anyway and like you say it's only a bit more than the amaray. Hopefully there would be a price drop on 1-3.

Problem is though, if they don't sell well, we might not see future series in steelbook.
I also have series 1/2/3 Blu-ray already and also the Series 3 Special edition 3 Discs release
I already have the amaray of The Abominable Bride on pre order with amazon uk

I will be getting this steelbook if I can get it from HMV Ireland and I will also double dip on series 1/2/3 steelbooks if I can get them at HMV Ireland but I will be annoying HMV Ireland soon :giggle::LOL::rofl: to get them for me even it means them ordering as a special order if they are not planning on selling in the Ireland stores

I'm a massive fan of sherlock holmes I have all previous films going right back to basil rathbone films and tv series both BBC series with Peter Cushing and ITV Granada Jeremy Brett TV Series I even have the cartoon series :rofl: and I also have other one off TV productions of sherlock holmes by various actors
The First place I visited when I moved to London in 1990 on my first day off was 221 Baker Street Sherlock Holmes Museum's souvenir shop I was there for near 2 hours browsing and made a few purchases
I have all Sherlock Holmes Arthur Conan Doyle short stories and novels in Hardback and also a brilliant book on the Jeremy Brett TV Series

I understand for others who might already have the TV series on Blu-ray that these steelbooks might be too expensive to double dip on but for me it's instant purchases for me just to add them to my existing collection even though I already have the Blu-ray's themselves

Even on DVD I have the basil rathbone films 2 times each per film

These look great in my opinion and I will also be getting the Funko pop figures in the new year :rofl:

Reactions: lights and luke98
I also have series 1/2/3 Blu-ray already and also the Series 3 Special edition 3 Discs release

I will be getting this steelbook if I can get it from HMV Ireland and I will also double dip on series 1/2/3 steelbooks if I can get them at HMV Ireland but I will be annoying HMV Ireland soon :giggle::LOL::rofl: to get them for me even it means them ordering as a special order if they are not planning on selling in the Ireland stores
:LOL::rofl::rofl::rofl: Paul i will tell HMV Ireland to give you steelbooks with a spine slash and some dents :naughty: and replace the Blu-ray discs with DVDs :naughty::thumbs::):happy::kiss::p also i will tell them to remove the title from the spine :)

Last edited:
Reactions: paulboland
:LOL::rofl::rofl::rofl: Paul i will tell HMV Ireland to give you steelbooks with a spine slash and some dents :naughty: and replace the Blu-ray discs with DVDs :naughty::thumbs::):happy::kiss::p also i will tell them to remove the title from the spine :)
I will be waiting at the HMV store for you :rofl::LOL:
You might need lot of first aid :rofl::p
DVD can cause a lot of damage if thrown at speed towards someone :giggle:

The title you remove from the spine I will find a place to stick it as in guess who :rofl:

Reactions: luke98
If HMV are doing this kind of style for the steelbooks then they better remember it for the future....I mean it, I don't want to see them stop when the next full series finally comes out only for Amazon/Zavvi to do their versions which starts back at series 1.

I'm a massive fan of sherlock holmes I have all previous films going right back to basil rathbone films and tv series both BBC series with Peter Cushing and ITV Granada Jeremy Brett TV Series I even have the cartoon series :rofl: and I also have other one off TV productions of sherlock holmes by various actors
The First place I visited when I moved to London in 1990 on my first day off was 221 Baker Street Sherlock Holmes Museum's souvenir shop I was there for near 2 hours browsing and made a few purchases
I have all Sherlock Holmes Arthur Conan Doyle short stories and novels in Hardback and also a brilliant book on the Jeremy Brett TV Series

I understand for others who might already have the TV series on Blu-ray that these steelbooks might be too expensive to double dip on but for me it's instant purchases for me just to add them to my existing collection even though I already have the Blu-ray's themselves

Even on DVD I have the basil rathbone films 2 times each per film

These look great in my opinion and I will also be getting the Funko pop figures in the new year :rofl:

I have the Jeremy Brett series, it's great. I think I like his portrayal of Holmes the best!

Reactions: paulboland
Does anyone ever do HMV group buys, since this damn store won't deliver outside the UK?

Id personally wait to see if other countries get it. It won't sell out anyway.
Otherwise your stuck on a GB