Solo: A Star Wars Story (4K+2D & 3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: September 24, 2018
Purchase links: 4K+2D - 3D+2D
Price: £32.99 (4K+2D) - £24.99 (3D+2D)

11774074-1204595967948798.jpg
11774073-3834595967794133.jpg

11774074-1594595967584952.jpg
11774074-1594595967694350.jpg
11774073-1064581216802098.jpg

Last edited:
The 3D is poor on this one.

I think the problem is the film itself is very dark. It's hard even to make out what's going on in certain parts (I had to rewind back to see what Chewie did to the guy in the elevator!)

Looks like they have one of those stupid green/blue filters on the cameras for most of the film.

I'm not sure if the regular BD is any different as I haven't watched that yet.

I had this problem when I saw the film in the theatre. Everything was so dark and it was hard to even see their faces most of the time.
I was really hoping it was the theatre or the projector or whatever. I was hoping that it would be better when I watched the blu-ray which I haven't done yet. Now I'm thinking it's going to be the same.

After seeing it in the theatre I read somewhere that it wasn't just my experience it was widespread but not at every theatre.
I don't know the technical stuff but something like not all theatre projectors are equipped to properly to project this film the way it was shot. Maybe newer theatres are or...I don't know. It has something to do with the way this film was made. I'm sure if you do a search...actually I just did a search and there are many articles and quotes by industry veterans and they were pissed.

‘Solo’ Theater Projection Problems Leave Fans In The Dark, Enrage Industry Veterans

Cinematographer Bradford Young's low-light cinematography highlights how many theaters no longer meet decades-old industry standards.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/s...rojection-problems-bradford-young-1201969989/

Even if you just read some of the article from the beginning you'll understand what the problem was.
Also, I recommend reading just a few of the comments after the article to see how many people are finding this to be the case watching it on blu-ray as well so it isn't just the theatres.

An interesting read, thanks for posting the link, @Stygian

I saw Solo in a local cinema (2D) and never noticed any kind of issues with the light levels.

Will probably watch the Blu-ray sometime in the near future. It'll be interesting to see if that will be a different experience.

I had this problem when I saw the film in the theatre. Everything was so dark and it was hard to even see their faces most of the time.
I was really hoping it was the theatre or the projector or whatever. I was hoping that it would be better when I watched the blu-ray which I haven't done yet. Now I'm thinking it's going to be the same.

After seeing it in the theatre I read somewhere that it wasn't just my experience it was widespread but not at every theatre.
I don't know the technical stuff but something like not all theatre projectors are equipped to properly to project this film the way it was shot. Maybe newer theatres are or...I don't know. It has something to do with the way this film was made. I'm sure if you do a search...actually I just did a search and there are many articles and quotes by industry veterans and they were pissed.

‘Solo’ Theater Projection Problems Leave Fans In The Dark, Enrage Industry Veterans

Cinematographer Bradford Young's low-light cinematography highlights how many theaters no longer meet decades-old industry standards.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/s...rojection-problems-bradford-young-1201969989/

I’m a manager at a movie theatre, and I work a lot with our projection system- so I feel like I have some sort of authority speaking about this.

*deep inhale*

Digital Cinema projection isn’t difficult- any length of actual work a “projectionist” would have to do in a traditional theatre has thus been removed and replaced with automation. While some theatres would have issue with the light levels for films, or even the entire projection system of films, these would be operational errors based on old hardware- much of what we view today is based on digital, and not analog systems. As a result of an entirely digital upgrade, Movies that are sent to theatres by Deluxe Technicolor have specific requirements, formatting, and technical applications- all of which, are sent to a theatre by Deluxe Technicolor. The only aspect that the theatre really has control over are what ads are placed before a feature- and when the lights dim and turn back on.

To assume that it is the fault of the theatre itself would only be applicable to a theatre that still projected the film on actual film. Otherwise, the lighting specifities are all quadruple checked by Disney Studios.

It is possible if there were an actual problem with the projector you were viewing the film on- specifically, if the light bulb in the projector were dying. Hopefully, however- any diligent theatre will keep a close eye on bulb hours and would replace the bulb should it ever exceed its half-life.

The 3D is poor on this one.

I think the problem is the film itself is very dark. It's hard even to make out what's going on in certain parts (I had to rewind back to see what Chewie did to the guy in the elevator!)

Looks like they have one of those stupid green/blue filters on the cameras for most of the film.

I'm not sure if the regular BD is any different as I haven't watched that yet.

Yeah I watched it the other night. It was very dark.

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
I’m a manager at a movie theatre, and I work a lot with our projection system- so I feel like I have some sort of authority speaking about this.

*deep inhale*

Digital Cinema projection isn’t difficult- any length of actual work a “projectionist” would have to do in a traditional theatre has thus been removed and replaced with automation. While some theatres would have issue with the light levels for films, or even the entire projection system of films, these would be operational errors based on old hardware- much of what we view today is based on digital, and not analog systems. As a result of an entirely digital upgrade, Movies that are sent to theatres by Deluxe Technicolor have specific requirements, formatting, and technical applications- all of which, are sent to a theatre by Deluxe Technicolor. The only aspect that the theatre really has control over are what ads are placed before a feature- and when the lights dim and turn back on.

To assume that it is the fault of the theatre itself would only be applicable to a theatre that still projected the film on actual film. Otherwise, the lighting specifities are all quadruple checked by Disney Studios.

It is possible if there were an actual problem with the projector you were viewing the film on- specifically, if the light bulb in the projector were dying. Hopefully, however- any diligent theatre will keep a close eye on bulb hours and would replace the bulb should it ever exceed its half-life.
Yeah, the issue can't be with the theatres because the Blu Ray shouldn't be affected then also.

Here is the problem....

At the heart of this controversy is a disconnect between lax projection standards and a very specific creative agenda — namely, the work of “Solo” cinematographer Bradford Young, who is known for experimenting with low-light cinematography.

This bellend of a cinematographer who is trying to be all artsy fartsy!

Yeah, the issue can't be with the theatres because the Blu Ray shouldn't be affected then also.

Here is the problem....

At the heart of this controversy is a disconnect between lax projection standards and a very specific creative agenda — namely, the work of “Solo” cinematographer Bradford Young, who is known for experimenting with low-light cinematography.

This bellend of a cinematographer who is trying to be all artsy fartsy!

Yeah I don't know why the bluray would be the same unless the proper viewing experience can't be captured on bluray or even 4K and properly displayed on our TV's. Somebody should tell him that while it looks perfect on his professional equipment the same can't be said for a large population of moviegoers. Hard to enjoy the experience of the film when you have a hard time seeing it. Sort of like going to a concert with a ticket for a seat with an obstructed view. After trying to focus for awhile you kinda just lose interest and wait for the show to be over. That's how I felt when I was watching it. I just gave up trying to get into it figuring I would have a better experience at home. We'll see how that goes. Having said all of that, I liked what I could get into.

When you do a Google search all you have to type in is "Why is Solo" and it finishes it for you. "Why is Solo so bad" and "Why is Solo so dark"

That tells you how many people had the same question.

• Haha
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Why do they have to make films so dark sometimes. I mean come on. Just turns me off when its hard to watch.
Probably trying to hide the main actors face as he looked/sounded/acted nothing like Han Solo! (Remember, this is set only about 10 years before A New Hope!)

Casting for this was a joke. I didn't feel at any time that I was watching Han Solo. More like a live action episode of Star Wars Rebels.

I wonder if the Lego Movie directors were fired for hiring him?!

Reactions: blu-steel
I still haven't seen it. I want to. Now I'm worried. :LOL:
Same here. :ohno:
honestly, i hadn't noticed Arrival was overly dark. maybe it's my eyesight, or a blu ray upscale on a 4K system, but it didn't seem wrong to me - dark, yes, but not incorrect, if you see what i mean. :)

Probably trying to hide the main actors face as he looked/sounded/acted nothing like Han Solo! (Remember, this is set only about 10 years before A New Hope!)

Casting for this was a joke. I didn't feel at any time that I was watching Han Solo. More like a live action episode of Star Wars Rebels.

I wonder if the Lego Movie directors were fired for hiring him?!

I was so boring to watch. The production value was crap.

I too watched it in the dark and found the films environments were devoid of light - obviously making the film dark.

However that didn't bother me and by the end I enjoyed it. Give it a try I say :thumbs: