Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Tagline: Never tell him the odds.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Ron Howard

Cast: Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Donald Glover, Paul Bettany, Thandie Newton, Joonas Suotamo, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Erin Kellyman, Ian Kenny, John Tui, Charlotte Louise, Clint Howard, Anthony Daniels, Dee Tails, Attila Vajda, Kiran Shah, Lily Newmark, Samantha Colley, Warwick Davis, Sema-Tawi Smart, Linda Hunt, Jon Favreau, Anna Francolini, Andrew Woodall, Shaquille Ali-Yebuah, Eben Figueiredo, Aaron Heffernan, Hal Fowler, Damian Farrell, Fraser Kelly, Jason Wong, Alice Hewkin, Robert Morgan, Miles Richardson, Sammy Hayman, Rona Morison, Dempsey Bovell, Joseph Charles, Dave Chapman, Katy Kartwheel, Harley Durst, Ray Park, Samuel Witwer, Andrew Jack, Richard Dixon, Deepak Anand, Peter Vo

Release: 2018-05-23

Runtime: 135

Plot: Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian.

Reactions: Noodles
Looks a lot different then I thought it would. Better then I thought it would. haha But I'll save my full judgement until tomorrow with the FULL trailer.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
So, the last shot reveals him to look like a young.....
MARK HAMILL?!! WHAAAA?!!!
FCED4377-4C9E-414D-898A-7AE67FD27335.jpeg

I have a bad feeling about this....

At least it's not trying to shove a nostalgia boner down our throats like with what Rogue One did. :p
I felt violated after that movie. xD

And while Solo is essentially just ebbing off of the good will audience's have for the character- I'm happy to not be bombarded with the "I KNOW WHAT THAT IS" fanboy moments that accompanied Rogue One- because that was just suffocating. xD

At least it's not trying to shove a nostalgia boner down our throats like with what Rogue One did. :p
I felt violated after that movie. xD

And while Solo is essentially just ebbing off of the good will audience's have for the character- I'm happy to not be bombarded with the "I KNOW WHAT THAT IS" fanboy moments that accompanied Rogue One- because that was just suffocating. xD
I truly how R1 was for the nostalgia addict (I'm one of them), but in the case of Solo, I'm open minded for a brand new never-told story.
My bad feeling is about the main character... didn't know him at first, and now hearing his voice / seeing his face, can't feel it....

I truly how R1 was for the nostalgia addict (I'm one of them), but in the case of Solo, I'm open minded for a brand new never-told story.
My bad feeling is about the main character... didn't know him at first, and now hearing his voice / seeing his face, can't feel it....

I mean- Rogue One really encapsulated everything I disliked about Star Wars Fanfilms, and it was really the microcosm that I'm afraid of when speaking in terms of Star Wars Spinoffs.
And I mean- to be completely honest, ANY actor given the task of playing Han Solo WOULD have received flak. One of the main points about not wanting to see a young Han Solo is just the fact that it's wholly unnecessary.
So I mean, while I also don't think that Alden Ehrenreich seems that spectacular (from this trailer), I doubt any sort of casting would have been satisfactory.

I don't have a problem with Ehrenreich's look, but his voice definitely could've used a bit more work. As for Glover as Lando... he looks seriously cool IMO. :D

• Thanks
Reactions: lights

And I mean- to be completely honest, ANY actor given the task of playing Han Solo WOULD have received flak. One of the main points about not wanting to see a young Han Solo is just the fact that it's wholly unnecessary.
So I mean, while I also don't think that Alden Ehrenreich seems that spectacular (from this trailer), I doubt any sort of casting would have been satisfactory.

I don't have a problem with Ehrenreich's look, but his voice definitely could've used a bit more work. As for Glover as Lando... he looks seriously cool IMO. :D

I like everything about the trailer... except for him. :bag: I wonder if they thought nobody would be able to touch Harrison Ford's portrayal so why even try? And just let him do his own "solo"?
And then I start thinking about how good Anthony Ingruber would have done in the role. (Sorry to bring him up again, but dang he would have nailed it.)

Bright spots in the trailer. LANDO! Donald Glover is going to be so awesome in this.
And the LOOK of this movie is freaking great. Who is the cinematographer!? I gotta look that up because it looks fantastic.

I like everything about the trailer... except for him. :bag: I wonder if they thought nobody would be able to touch Harrison Ford's portrayal so why even try? And just let him do his own "solo"?
And then I start thinking about how good Anthony Ingruber would have done in the role. (Sorry to bring him up again, but dang he would have nailed it.)

Bright spots in the trailer. LANDO! Donald Glover is going to be so awesome in this.
And the LOOK of this movie is freaking great. Who is the cinematographer!? I gotta look that up because it looks fantastic.
In a perfect world, Ingruber would've been cast... however, I'm willing to give Ehrenreich a chance - I actually got chills at the end of the teaser for the teaser (lol) when he looked up towards the camera.

Completely agree with you about Glover though... wish they'd showed him actually speaking. Oh, and I look forward to seeing more of Emilia Clarke too. :drool:

As for the cinematographer, it's apparently Bradford Young, who's already got some impressive films under his belt (Arrival, Selma, A Most Violent Year).

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
Hmmm, not sure. Looks ok but not sure I like the guy playing solo

I’ll give it a go though. The start of the music sounded like jack White had a pop at it