Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Tagline: Never tell him the odds.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Ron Howard

Cast: Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Donald Glover, Paul Bettany, Thandie Newton, Joonas Suotamo, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Erin Kellyman, Ian Kenny, John Tui, Charlotte Louise, Clint Howard, Anthony Daniels, Dee Tails, Attila Vajda, Kiran Shah, Lily Newmark, Samantha Colley, Warwick Davis, Sema-Tawi Smart, Linda Hunt, Jon Favreau, Anna Francolini, Andrew Woodall, Shaquille Ali-Yebuah, Eben Figueiredo, Aaron Heffernan, Hal Fowler, Damian Farrell, Fraser Kelly, Jason Wong, Alice Hewkin, Robert Morgan, Miles Richardson, Sammy Hayman, Rona Morison, Dempsey Bovell, Joseph Charles, Dave Chapman, Katy Kartwheel, Harley Durst, Ray Park, Samuel Witwer, Andrew Jack, Richard Dixon, Deepak Anand, Peter Vo

Release: 2018-05-23

Runtime: 135

Plot: Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian.

Reactions: Noodles
I like everything about the trailer... except for him. :bag: I wonder if they thought nobody would be able to touch Harrison Ford's portrayal so why even try? And just let him do his own "solo"?
And then I start thinking about how good Anthony Ingruber would have done in the role. (Sorry to bring him up again, but dang he would have nailed it.)

Bright spots in the trailer. LANDO! Donald Glover is going to be so awesome in this.
And the LOOK of this movie is freaking great. Who is the cinematographer!? I gotta look that up because it looks fantastic.

Sadly, my only exposure to Donald Glover has been him in his role in The Martian- and he was near the worst part of that movie for me. I hear he’s great in other things, but I have yet to be surprised.

Besides, I feel like trying to capture Harrison Ford’s charisma is as difficult as trying to capture the magic of Billy Dee. XD

Also Bradford Young is the DP for Solo- who previously worked on films such as Arrival and Selma. Initially, he stated that he would never be infested in doing a blockbuster-Type film, however, he said that it was Lord and Miller’s unique vision that made him want to be a part of this project. I don’t know if he stayed on after their departure- considering how heavily his decision was apparently based on their involvement.

Sadly, my only exposure to Donald Glover has been him in his role in The Martian- and he was near the worst part of that movie for me. I hear he’s great in other things, but I have yet to be surprised.

I love Donald Glover. He is more of a comedian and wasn't given much to do in The Martian, so don't judge him on that.
He does some great work on his show Atlanta (which is a little more serious). But I mostly know him from Community.

Here is a little clip from his stand up:

...I know it doesn't give you the greatest representation of how he will be as Lando. But I just think its great. haha

As for the cinematographer, it's apparently Bradford Young, who's already got some impressive films under his belt (Arrival, Selma, A Most Violent Year).

Also Bradford Young is the DP for Solo- who previously worked on films such as Arrival and Selma. Initially, he stated that he would never be infested in doing a blockbuster-Type film, however, he said that it was Lord and Miller’s unique vision that made him want to be a part of this project. I don’t know if he stayed on after their departure- considering how heavily his decision was apparently based on their involvement.

Arrival was my favorite film of 2016 so it makes sense that I liked the look of this.

I hope one day they release a behind the scenes documentary on the making of this. I am so curious what Lord and Miller had completed and what Howard shot / reshot.

• Thanks
Reactions: FN-2187 and Noodles
I love Donald Glover. He is more of a comedian and wasn't given much to do in The Martian, so don't judge him on that.
He does some great work on his show Atlanta (which is a little more serious). But I mostly know him from Community.

Here is a little clip from his stand up:

...I know it doesn't give you the greatest representation of how he will be as Lando. But I just think its great. haha

Arrival was my favorite film of 2016 so it makes sense that I liked the look of this.

I hope one day they release a behind the scenes documentary on the making of this. I am so curious what Lord and Miller had completed and what Howard shot / reshot.

I've not seen any of those shows, but the few times I've seen him in movies (The Martian and Spider-Man Homecoming) he's actually really impressed me. Believe it or not, I knew him as a musician/rapper (known as Childish Gambino) before I did an actor... his music is pretty decent too IMO.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
I've not seen any of those shows, but the few times I've seen him in movies (The Martian and Spider-Man Homecoming) he's actually really impressed me. Believe it or not, I knew him as a musician/rapper (known as Childish Gambino) before I did an actor... his music is pretty decent too IMO.

It blew my mind when I found out Donald Glover IS childish gambino

I knew him as gambino for a while and then binged community last summer and loved him as Troy but it wasn’t until just before Christmas I found they are the same person. :wacky:

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and kaw

It blew my mind when I found out Donald Glover IS childish gambino

I knew him as gambino for a while and then binged community last summer and loved him as Troy but it wasn’t until just before Christmas I found they are the same person. :wacky:

Thats funny. Yeah he is a great musician too. It was really hard for me to take him seriously about it at first but hes made some good stuff.

If you guys are fans of him I recommend also checking out Mystery Team. Its very low budget and extremely stupid. But a lot of fun.
Red Band Trailer:

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and Flloydo
The cover of Entertainment Weekly...

ew1502_286382369132049.jpg

And some screens...

9234790347-54730-57430495.jpg 23847983479-8327-915-952434.jpg 0238409830597-3049571-233.jpg 32780932694369-124u02.jpg 893267983604319832.jpg 328698364732023846029.jpg 32987043965073462543.jpg 84573984735050345905.jpg i2oy23y432y19834123.jpg

I made a mistake to look at the action figures and got spoiled a little. I would recommend staying away if you see any posts

• Helpful Post
Reactions: kaw