Some Kind Of Wonderful (Blu-ray SteelBook) [USA]

Stygian

Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Canada
Release date: June 8, 2021
Purchase links: Amazon - Best Buy - Target
Price: $17.99 (Amazon) - $14.99 (Best Buy) - $16.59 (Target)

81QPdg8FT+L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know nothing about this movie other than what I can quickly Google. What's this about Molly Ringwald convincing John Hughes to change the ending? What was it supposed to be?

From what I can read online, the original ending didn't do well with test audiences and then they rewrote and reshot it. But I can't find anything about Molly having a hand in that.
"Hughes was personally not happy with the ending of his previous film Pretty in Pink (1986); in the script and the original cut of the film Andy (Molly Ringwald) wound up with her best friend Duckie (Jon Cryer). Test audiences disliked that ending, however, so a new ending was shot where Andy wound up with Blane (Andrew McCarthy).[2] Hughes was always unhappy with this version, which led to a falling out with Pink's director, Howard Deutch."That's from Wikipedia about the movie. This doesn't mention anything about Molly but I saw an interview on, I think, the original DVD where it's talked about. She specifically mentions that she couldn't ever see herself dating John Cryer. Regardless of why the decision was made, Hughes felt it was the wrong decision and I agree.

Reactions: dfoles
I think it’s interesting people still talk about who she should have ended up with.

personally i think she made the the right decision, there was no romantic chemistry between her and Duckie in the movie and he was always to her in the friend/like a brother zone.

this is just my opinion, I just never saw any moments in the movie where she saw him in anything other than that light.

"Hughes was personally not happy with the ending of his previous film Pretty in Pink (1986); in the script and the original cut of the film Andy (Molly Ringwald) wound up with her best friend Duckie (Jon Cryer). Test audiences disliked that ending, however, so a new ending was shot where Andy wound up with Blane (Andrew McCarthy).[2] Hughes was always unhappy with this version, which led to a falling out with Pink's director, Howard Deutch."That's from Wikipedia about the movie. This doesn't mention anything about Molly but I saw an interview on, I think, the original DVD where it's talked about. She specifically mentions that she couldn't ever see herself dating John Cryer. Regardless of why the decision was made, Hughes felt it was the wrong decision and I agree.

So he didn’t like the ending, but Molly Ringwald didn’t lobby for it or anything. Test audiences didn’t like it so they rewrote it.

So he didn’t like the ending, but Molly Ringwald didn’t lobby for it or anything. Test audiences didn’t like it so they rewrote it.
From a Vogue magazine interview of Molly, "I could maybe understand Andie choosing Duckie if Blane had been portrayed as a vapid punk or if there had been no chemistry between me and Andrew. But it didn’t make sense to have the entire movie be this Cinderella story [but] she doesn’t get to end up with the guy she wants. It would’ve been unsatisfying. Jon was fantastic in that role, but to me, in my mind, Duckie was clearly a gay boy with a fierce crush on his friend." This isn't the interview that I'm talking about but it backs up what I'm saying in that she didn't want her character to end up with Duckie. I'll see if I still have that original DVD to pull a quote from this weekend.

From a Vogue magazine interview of Molly, "I could maybe understand Andie choosing Duckie if Blane had been portrayed as a vapid punk or if there had been no chemistry between me and Andrew. But it didn’t make sense to have the entire movie be this Cinderella story [but] she doesn’t get to end up with the guy she wants. It would’ve been unsatisfying. Jon was fantastic in that role, but to me, in my mind, Duckie was clearly a gay boy with a fierce crush on his friend." This isn't the interview that I'm talking about but it backs up what I'm saying in that she didn't want her character to end up with Duckie. I'll see if I still have that original DVD to pull a quote from this weekend.

That’s different though. She can say “I don’t think this is true to my character / the story.” That doesn’t mean she went to John Hughes and threatened to quit if he didn’t change the ending to what she thought would be best.

I found the video I was talking about. It's on the original DVD. In it they talk to the director and most of the actors. Molly and Andrew wanted the ending changed while everyone else wanted the original. I think having 2 of the leads wanting it changed combined with the test screening is why they caved. I never said Molly threatened to quit. She does however talk about how she loved the ending when she thought Robert Downey Jr was going to play Duckie. She feels she didn't have any chemistry with Cryer. It is what it is. Trust me I don't lose sleep over it but I feel they made a mistake. Everyone that made the movie except for the two leads also thought they made a mistake which is why their very next movie had an identical plot. The thing that bugs me the most about the ending is that Blaine isn't a good guy. A good guy wouldn't be best friends with someone as evil as Steff. He doesn't even notice what dirtbags he hangs with until he's with Andie. Anyway as I said before I love both movies and will be buying both steelbooks.

Screen Shot .png

Last edited by a moderator: