Sony Fights Gamesharing, New TOS

Jan 29, 2009
Bad news for all traders and users with multiple PS3s, SCE have changed their Terms of Service to allow only up to 3 PS3s on one account.

Traders beware, you can only share games on up to three PS3s now, users with share groups will also be affected.

Users with >3 systems activated should be safe, however if one system is deactivated, it can no longer be activated again.

Quote from the TOS:

In-game items or content that you have purchased may be downloaded from PlayStation®Store. Pursuant to the particular terms of use that govern a specific in-game item or content you have purchased, you may use that item or content on up to three (3) different PlayStation®3 systems that have been activated for your account. You may deactivate or activate specific PlayStation®3 systems, as long as the maximum activated number of PlayStation®3 systems for your account at any given time is three (3).

* The first category, called Network Content, can only be accessed by one activated PlayStation®3 system per day and only by the account through which the Network Content was purchased. Network Content cannot be used on two different PlayStation®3 systems within a twenty-four (24) hour period.

* The second category, called Local Content, once installed on a PlayStation®3 system by the account that purchased it, can be accessed by other accounts on that same PlayStation®3 system.

This means that, if a game is purchased, it can only be downloaded once every 24h, meaning games can’t be shared immediately.

i dont mind the regulation on where only one person can play it within 24 hours of each other. i think thats legit because if you buy a game you can share it with as many people as you want but only one person can play it at a time.

limiting game sharing to 3 people is just lame.

i dont mind the regulation on where only one person can play it within 24 hours of each other. i think thats legit because if you buy a game you can share it with as many people as you want but only one person can play it at a time.

limiting game sharing to 3 people is just lame.

I dont like any of it. If I buy a game and install on my PS3, then want to put it on my kid's PS3 and then play together I can't anymore? That's stupid...

I dont like any of it. If I buy a game and install on my PS3, then want to put it on my kid's PS3 and then play together I can't anymore? That's stupid...

That's for network content, not Local Content.

Network Content is Online only games.. ala Warhawk.

well, you can't do that with a $60 disc game, you would have to buy 2 copies.

to me i think the whole thing is stupid, because its giving us something then taking it away. i would rather them never have given us 5 in the first place.

ive honestly been shocked at how liberal sony has been with sharing. i got to play fat princess online all i want WITH my friend who shared it with me. i was thinking about buying the game anyways until my friend told me he bought it. sony lost money on that one, and i bet i wasn't the only one.

this might be a marketing prep for the premium service they are going to install. if you dont pay the premium fee, you have limiting game sharing capabilities, but if you pay, its much more expansive. anyone think that will be the case?

Well, I've heard multiple things by now...

It's only coming to Europe as a test market, and you're not moved down to 3 consoles if you already have 5 unless you deactivate one, then you move to 4, then if you do it again, you're moved to 3... so who knows.