Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: October 21st, 2015
Purchase link: Amazon.it
Price: EUR 14.88

91s6ElGRSkL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
The Film restoration is fantastic on the Blu-ray

It looks amazing from the sample images provided by Robert Harris which he provided on Home Theater Forum
Robber Harris also did the restoration on 50th Anniversary Lawrence of Arabia Blu ray

Its time to bin your Spartacus 2010 Blu-ray and order the new 2015 Blu-ray of Spartacus

The Italian Steelbook is a bargain price as is the USA Blu-ray
I'm surprised its that cheap
I expect the UK Blu-ray release will be announced at some stage soon

The Steelbook artwork is the same that's used on the new 55th anniversary Amaray Blu-Ray

Instant purchase for me I have both this steelbook pre ordered and the USA Blu-ray

I expect the UK Blu-ray will cost more by how much will have to wait and see

Reactions: halliwell
I emailed amazon.it asking them to confirm it's a 4K restored blu-ray disc and got a reply today stating:

"I'm writing because our relevant department checked the item Spartacus (Steelbook 55° Anniversario) (Blu-Ray). This is not the 4K restored edition blu-ray disc. It's the standard blu-ray disc."

So I'll be cancelling my order with amazon.it and keeping my zavvi order. Fingers crossed it will be the 4K restored edition blu-ray disc.

It's not 4K Blu-ray Disc
The New Restored 4K transfer Blu-ray is just a standard Blu-ray Disc

Has Amazon Italy got this confused with a 4K Blu-ray that's not the same thing as a 4K remastered transfer

It's a 1080p standard Blu-ray the Disc itself but has a new remaster that was scanned in 4K

They need to see the details on the back of the Jcard to know if it's the 4K transfer
The Disc itself won't say anything about 4K

They need to check what extras are on the disc itself
Do they actually have the actual disc to check
What is the catalogue and barcode numbers
Amazon can't tell what the disc is unless they actually have it in stock at the warehouse

Last edited:
I emailed amazon.it asking them to confirm it's a 4K restored blu-ray disc and got a reply today stating:

"I'm writing because our relevant department checked the item Spartacus (Steelbook 55° Anniversario) (Blu-Ray). This is not the 4K restored edition blu-ray disc. It's the standard blu-ray disc."

So I'll be cancelling my order with amazon.it and keeping my zavvi order. Fingers crossed it will be the 4K restored edition blu-ray disc.

It's not 4K Blu-ray Disc
The New Restored 4K transfer Blu-ray is just a standard Blu-ray Disc

Has Amazon Italy got this confused with a 4K Blu-ray that's not the same thing as a 4K remastered transfer

It's a 1080p standard Blu-ray the Disc itself but has a new remaster that was scanned in 4K

They need to see the details on the back of the Jcard to know if it's the 4K transfer
The Disc itself won't say anything about 4K
Actual 4K UHD Blu ray discs will not be launched until January of 2016.

Beware! It looks like italian edition won't have the new mastered edition: Universal has confirmed this via mail to users at italian forum

Beware! It looks like italian edition won't have the new mastered edition: Universal has confirmed this via mail to users at italian forum
If the steelbook from Amazon Italy has 55th Anniversary listed has the description on their website and when the steelbook arrives to customers has 55th Anniversary Restored Edition on the Artwork of the Steelbook as shown on the website and if the Blu-ray disc inside ends up as the older 2010 Blu-ray Disc

Amazon and Universal Italy will have to to provide a replacement of the correct 55th Anniversary Blu-ray Disc to all customers

You cant sell a product with a false description of goods for sale its against the law and can lead to a criminal conviction if you know your advertising a product for sale with a false description and do noting to correct it
Amazon Italy
Have 4 Choices
1)The steelbook been advertised be changed on the website to match the contents and have no mention in the description or Steelbook Artwork have 55th Anniversary Restored Edition and all customers who ordered previously be informed of the change

2)Make sure the correct disc is provided to match the description of goods for sale as in its the 55th Anniversary Restored Edition Disc

3)Universal Italy have a replacement disc program in place and all affected customers get the correct disc

4)Amazon Italy cancel the release completely if its the 2010 Blu-ray and Universal Italy have no replacement disc to provide customers with if the steelbook artwork has 55th Anniversary Restored Edition mentioned anywhere on its packaging or the steelbook itself

If you receive the steelbook with the artwork saying 55th Anniversary Restored Edition you will have to be provided with the correct Blu-ray Disc by either Amazon Italy or Universal Italy free of charge

Reactions: javiermendoza
If the steelbook from Amazon Italy has 55th Anniversary listed has the description on their website and when the steelbook arrives to customers has 55th Anniversary Restored Edition on the Artwork of the Steelbook as shown on the website and if the Blu-ray disc inside ends up as the older 2010 Blu-ray Disc

Amazon and Universal Italy will have to to provide a replacement of the correct 55th Anniversary Blu-ray Disc to all customers

You cant sell a product with a false description of goods for sale its against the law and can lead to a criminal conviction if you know your advertising a product for sale with a false description and do noting to correct it
Amazon Italy
Have 4 Choices
1)The steelbook been advertised be changed on the website to match the contents and have no mention in the description or Steelbook Artwork have 55th Anniversary Restored Edition and all customers who ordered previously be informed of the change

2)Make sure the correct disc is provided to match the description of goods for sale as in its the 55th Anniversary Restored Edition Disc

3)Universal Italy have a replacement disc program in place and all affected customers get the correct disc

4)Amazon Italy cancel the release completely if its the 2010 Blu-ray and Universal Italy have no replacement disc to provide customers with if the steelbook artwork has 55th Anniversary Restored Edition mentioned anywhere on its packaging or the steelbook itself

If you receive the steelbook with the artwork saying 55th Anniversary Restored Edition you will have to be provided with the correct Blu-ray Disc by either Amazon Italy or Universal Italy free of charge

This will be quite interesting if it happens. Kinda hoping it doesn't but we'll see.

It's back in stock with almost the same price. €9.83 this time :)

It's official from Universal: disc is the old one, no 4K remastered in Italy

If the Steelbook is as shown and which is advertised as 55th Anniversary Restored Edition and inside is the 50th 2010 anniversary Disc
Universal will have no choice but to provide replacement discs that will be the 55th Anniversary Disc
You sell a product and its mentions 55th anniversary Restored Edition that is what you must be provided with they can't put the 2010 50th anniversary disc inside the steelbook when the steelbook has 55th Anniversary Restored Edition on it

55th Anniversary Restored Edition is a standard blu-ray disc (The restoration was scanned in 4K )

When you receive your steelbook from amazon italy if it does have the 50th anniversary 2010 disc inside and the steelbook itself has 55th anniversary restored edition printed on the steelbook or even the jcard
Sales and description of goods for sale by law they will have to provide you with the 55th Anniversary Restored Disc

The 55th Anniversary Restored Edition is a new restoration that was scanned in 4K
It's a Standard Blu-ray like any other Blu-ray

If the Steelbook is as shown and which is advertised as 55th Anniversary Restored Edition and inside is the 50th 2010 anniversary Disc
Universal will have no choice but to provide replacement discs that will be the 55th Anniversary Disc
You sell a product and its mentions 55th anniversary Restored Edition that is what you must be provided with they can't put the 2010 50th anniversary disc inside the steelbook when the steelbook has 55th Anniversary Restored Edition on it

55th Anniversary Restored Edition is a standard blu-ray disc (The restoration was scanned in 4K )

When you receive your steelbook from amazon italy if it does have the 50th anniversary 2010 disc inside and the steelbook itself has 55th anniversary restored edition printed on the steelbook or even the jcard
Sales and description of goods for sale by law they will have to provide you with the 55th Anniversary Restored Disc

The 55th Anniversary Restored Edition is a new restoration that was scanned in 4K
That's gonna be a lot of bureaucratic red tape- and in probably more than one language- for the sake of swapping one disc.

There is reviews of the 55th anniversary edition on some websites
Dvd Beaver site has a good review

This is how you will be able to tell if the disc is the 55th Anniversary edition or the 2010 50th Anniversary Edition
If the Audio is English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 and has these 2 new extras
I Am Spartacus: A Conversation with Kirk Douglas" featurette (9:39) and Restoring Spartacus" featurette (9:00)
  • Its the 55th Anniversary Restored Disc

55th Anniversary Edition Disc
  • Audio
    English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1
New Extras Highlighted in Bold
  • I Am Spartacus: A Conversation with Kirk Douglas" featurette (9:39)
  • Restoring Spartacus" featurette (9:00)
  • 4 Deleted Scenes (7:40 in total)
  • -Spartacus Meets Varinia (UK Version) (2:01)
    -Spartacus Meets Varinia (US Version) (2:19)
    -1967 Finale (2:20)
    -Gracchus’ Suicide (Audio Recording) (1:00)
    Archival Interviews:
    -Peter Ustinov (2:58)
    -Jean Simmons (3:44)
    Behind the Scenes Footage (5:11)
    5 Vintage Newsreels (4:58 in total)
    -London Ovation (1:44)
    -Tony Curtis Honored (1:12)
    -Sir Laurence Olivier Returns to Hollywood (0:35)
    -Kirk Douglas Honored (0:50)
    -Kirk Douglas Arrives in New York (0:34)
    5 Image Galleries
    -Production Stills (26 shots)
    -Concept Art (7)
    -Costume Designs (23)
    -Saul Bass Storyboards (64)
    -Posters and Print Ads (18)
    Theatrical Trailer (2:45)
50th Anniversary Edition 2010 Disc
Audio
  • English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
    Extras
  • 4 Deleted Scenes (7:40 in total)
    -Spartacus Meets Varinia (UK Version) (2:01)
    -Spartacus Meets Varinia (US Version) (2:19)
    -1967 Finale (2:20)
    -Gracchus’ Suicide (Audio Recording) (1:00)
    Archival Interviews:
    -Peter Ustinov (2:58)
    -Jean Simmons (3:44)
    Behind the Scenes Footage (5:11)
    5 Vintage Newsreels (4:58 in total)
    -London Ovation (1:44)
    -Tony Curtis Honored (1:12)
    -Sir Laurence Olivier Returns to Hollywood (0:35)
    -Kirk Douglas Honored (0:50)
    -Kirk Douglas Arrives in New York (0:34)
    5 Image Galleries
    -Production Stills (26 shots)
    -Concept Art (7)
    -Costume Designs (23)
    -Saul Bass Storyboards (64)
    -Posters and Print Ads (18)
    Theatrical Trailer (2:45)

Last edited:

I know the differences between a 4K UltraHD disc (they don't even exist since there are no 4K players yet) and a standard BD "remastered 4K" and I'm not saying that the new remastered disc is a 4K UltraHD disc :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm just saying that this steelbook contains the old disc, not the 55th anniversary 4K remastered one, that's what Universal said

I know the differences between a 4K UltraHD disc (they don't even exist since there are no 4K players yet) and a standard BD "remastered 4K" and I'm not saying that the new remastered disc is a 4K UltraHD disc :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm just saying that this steelbook contains the old disc, not the 55th anniversary 4K remastered one, that's what Universal said

And Paul is saying that if they sell it as a 55th anniversary restored edition, they should provide us with a 55th anniversary restored edition disc. Universal will have their hands full very soon. Hopefully :)

If they go ahead and put the 2010 Disc inside a release that's advertised as the 55th Anniversary Restored Edition they will be committing a serious offence which will lead to a fine and possible criminal conviction if not corrected to be as advertised
If you knowing advertise a release as 55th Anniversary Restored Edition but provide the 50th Anniversary Edition in a release advertised as the 55th Anniversary restored edition they will face a big fine and possible criminal conviction

It's more likely the info provided by the person at universal is wrong as I can't see them making that mistake as it will lead to legal issues

I've seen screenshots for the new 55th. It is lightyears ahead of the 50th, it's framed properly and the detail is spot on. DO NOT buy this if it does end up being the 50th disc, spend the extra few £ on an awesome remaster instead.

EDIT: I'll also add that the only subtitles I have seen on it are English, Spanish and French. So I would be weary of the disc.

Last edited: