Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: April 4, 2022
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £29.99

13508491-7064917453817101.jpg

NWH A.jpeg

Last edited:
Isn't Cameron supposed to have come up with new 3D technology for Avatar 2 where you won't need to wear glasses?

Not sure how that will work. I'm guessing screens will have to be upgraded....
I remember reading this a few years ago - (remember that the 3D renaissance was James Cameron's baby. He was not only an advocate, he was pushing the format). He said that when Avatar 2 came out - not only would it be in 3D - it would ONLY be in 3D when it was released for streaming and home media- as if he was sending an ultimatum to streamers and TV manufacturers.
it is true that he has been involved the researching of glasses-free 3D - but I have not heard about any breakthroughs recently.
the great irony of manufacturers shifting focus away from 3D is that they stopped right when the technology was finally ideal for perfect 3D viewing.
With the new 4K televisions you finally had achieved the luminence levels that 3D requires, and the upconversion meant that you now had 1080p for each eye.
I think if people saw 3D properly on a 4K 3D TV - they would be amazed.
But, unfortunately - people's memories are of bad passive 3D at movie theaters (usually done poorly with bad luminence levels), and the early 1080p 3D TVs in the home that just didn't have the nits to render a bright enough picture.
in many ways, the 3D rollout on 1080p TVs was like showing a workprint of a film without finished effects. They were eager and kind of jumped the gun, but 3D wasn't really ready for prime time until 4K TVs.
and for the people who don't like 3D - you simply don't watch it. The option for 3D on TV or blu ray really doesn't cost the manufacturer anything. It is an opt-in setting, not an opt-out. When I bought my Sony Z9D - I bought it because it had they greatest picture specs on the market (and is STILL the best TV I have ever seen) - it came with 3D. I had no interest in 3D. It had nothing to do with my interest in the TV. It was only later that I checked out some 3D discs and was amazed at how great it was. (Obviously, the fact that it is a freakin' light cannon (at almost 2000 nits) helped the experience immeasurably).
But, it was great that it was an option on the TV that was always there for me to take or leave. So I never understood people who railed against 3D. You simply don't turn it on if you don't like it (much like most of us don't turn on the dreaded 60hz soap opera motion inerpolation settings).
So, will James Cameron reignite 3D again with Avatar 2? I don't know. I do know that 3D coming back the kast time was his baby, that he was passionate about. So we'll see. Never underestimate James Cameron And his power to influence the industry.

I remember reading this a few years ago - (remember that the 3D renaissance was James Cameron's baby. He was not only an advocate, he was pushing the format). He said that when Avatar 2 came out - not only would it be in 3D - it would ONLY be in 3D when it was released for streaming and home media- as if he was sending an ultimatum to streamers and TV manufacturers.
it is true that he has been involved the researching of glasses-free 3D - but I have not heard about any breakthroughs recently.
the great irony of manufacturers shifting focus away from 3D is that they stopped right when the technology was finally ideal for perfect 3D viewing.
With the new 4K televisions you finally had achieved the luminence levels that 3D requires, and the upconversion meant that you now had 1080p for each eye.
I think if people saw 3D properly on a 4K 3D TV - they would be amazed.
But, unfortunately - people's memories are of bad passive 3D at movie theaters (usually done poorly with bad luminence levels), and the early 1080p 3D TVs in the home that just didn't have the nits to render a bright enough picture.
in many ways, the 3D rollout on 1080p TVs was like showing a workprint of a film without finished effects. They were eager and kind of jumped the gun, but 3D wasn't really ready for prime time until 4K TVs.
and for the people who don't like 3D - you simply don't watch it. The option for 3D on TV or blu ray really doesn't cost the manufacturer anything. It is an opt-in setting, not an opt-out. When I bought my Sony Z9D - I bought it because it had they greatest picture specs on the market (and is STILL the best TV I have ever seen) - it came with 3D. I had no interest in 3D. It had nothing to do with my interest in the TV. It was only later that I checked out some 3D discs and was amazed at how great it was. (Obviously, the fact that it is a freakin' light cannon (at almost 2000 nits) helped the experience immeasurably).
But, it was great that it was an option on the TV that was always there for me to take or leave. So I never understood people who railed against 3D. You simply don't turn it on if you don't like it (much like most of us don't turn on the dreaded 60hz soap opera motion inerpolation settings).
So, will James Cameron reignite 3D again with Avatar 2? I don't know. I do know that 3D coming back the kast time was his baby, that he was passionate about. So we'll see. Never underestimate James Cameron And his power to influence the industry.

Always liked to read your stuff ! Maybe someday write longer articles ?

TL;DR

Marvel Balance GIF

I cant believe FAC wont make a One click for No way Home when they did it for all the past marvel movies. The one click from FAC for Spidey is truly Amazing!
So amazing, it's still sealed.

He took so long in the Ferngully rainforest with his 14 Pocahontas dancing with the Wolves sequels, the whole 3D hooray died out.
Hope we get to a point of Morbius level of jokes, with pictures of people breaking into cars, to leave 2 more Avatar 3 tickets.

Reactions: Alf_1
Is anybody still mass producing 3D TV's and 3D Blu-ray players? If not, is it possible that the reason studios aren't releasing as many 3D films on disc is because of this reason?

Isn't Cameron supposed to have come up with new 3D technology for Avatar 2 where you won't need to wear glasses?

Not sure how that will work. I'm guessing screens will have to be upgraded....
I for one believe Cameron just "forgot" about this, as he also "forgot" about Abyss and True Lies.
Just saw Sunday the new Avatar: The Way of The Water trailer on IMAX 3D before Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness (in IMAX 3D also, and was GORGEOUS :OMG::wow::drool:), and boy-o-boy, what a feeling, remembering Avatar in IMAX 3D, the movie that made me go to IMAX whenever I can, despite the cinema being at about two hours drive, 3-4 hours by trains and other public transportation. So, indeed, IMAX 3D would be GREAT to be transferred to home media too, but, I honestly don't have high hopes (actually I don't think I have any, unfortunately :grumpy:).

I for one believe Cameron just "forgot" about this, as he also "forgot" about Abyss and True Lies.
Just saw Sunday the new Avatar: The Way of The Water trailer on IMAX 3D before Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness (in IMAX 3D also, and was GORGEOUS :OMG::wow::drool:), and boy-o-boy, what a feeling, remembering Avatar in IMAX 3D, the movie that made me go to IMAX whenever I can, despite the cinema being at about two hours drive, 3-4 hours by trains and other public transportation. So, indeed, IMAX 3D would be GREAT to be transferred to home media too, but, I honestly don't have high hopes (actually I don't think I have any, unfortunately :grumpy:).
How was the 3D in the trailer? (Most of us have just seen the flat trailer online).

How was the 3D in the trailer? (Most of us have just seen the flat trailer online).
As I said, was like seeing Avatar (the first one) again, on IMAX 3D.
(also) GORGEOUS :OMG::wow::drool: (as was Dr. Strange)

And either that I was missing IMAX for so long now (although I went see The Batman, not long ago), but this time, EVERYTHING seemed MUCH MORE CLEAR and BRIGHTER than I could remember; probably on par with when I saw Avatar first (and second and third) time(s) on IMAX 3D. But for real, I stopped and loudly whispered to my companion, several times during the movie "it is SO CLEAR!". I was also thinking to go again, before I go to Top Gun and Dominion, at which (both) already purchased tickets.

In a word, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is simply BREATHTAKING in IMAX 3D, and is WORTH whatever effort to go see it like that (did I mentioned that I could barely see one or two times throughout the movie cross-talk, which I can usually see in IMAX 3D? :spoil: or did I mentioned how GREAT and CLEAR EVERYTHING is sounding, even the overhead sounds too in IMAX??? :spoil:)

EDIT: oh, yes, the Avatar 2 trailer was also GORGEOUS! :spoil::naughty::rofl:

Reactions: BluSteel2012
I sympathize, I Do. I am also annoyed that movies shot 3D are not getting released that way on home media. (Mission Impossible Fallout was great in 3D). I have a great 3D collection and a killer 3D TV. But, the 3D market is a niche ipwithin a niche within a niche. It is tiny. Microscopic. So they really lose nothing by not doing it. (Again, I wish it weren't so). I can also make the argument that it really costs them very little to add it in there. But, I can't say it is a matter of them not understanding the market. And, the guys calling the shots aren't the boomers, but the GenXers. (Boomers are in their 80s now - GenX In their mid 50s).
Like I said - I totally sympathize. If you are going to go through the trouble of actually making a 3D film for theaters, why not release it that way on blu ray? (It is a relatively simple process to have one disc with mono and stereo versions).
maybe Avatar 2 will spark another round of 3D blu ray interest....
FWIW, Gen X is around 56/7 to 41 - 44. Boomers are roughly 58 to 75 (give or take a year) Silent Generation is about 76 to 94.

FWIW, Gen X is around 56/7 to 41 - 44. Boomers are roughly 58 to 75 (give or take a year) Silent Generation is about 76 to 94.
At least I'm a millennial, a bridge generation, that knows and appreciates how it was, and knows and uses current stuff, to an extent, though often with disdain.

Sorry @C.C. 95 if my answer was not so explicit for your question, yet I recalled (yesterday, after I just sent and edited my message, but after closing everything for going to sleep), that the IMAX 3D trailed of Avatar: The Way Of The Water was also IMAX FULL SCREEN, as opposed to all the trailers online.
Therefore, more specifically, the 3D on Avatar 2 trailer in IMAX 3D was SUPERB!
I honestly can't express it how GORGEOUS is to see those GINORMOUS EYES and the FULL BLUE FACE sitting RIGHT IN FRONT of you, while you are merely the size of one of the eyes.... is... is... I... can't express it... sorry...
1652283853480.png

And although that the trailer did not had some 3D-vertigo-inducing scenes as it was (if you remember) the one in first Avatar, when they and us go down on the back of an ikran, but the image from within the water, was SPECTACULAR also in FULL IMAX 3D.
1652284130348.png

And please don't get me wrong, this was NOT that kind of stupid/idiot 4:3 IMAX that we got in ZSJL, no, was FULL SCREEN, no border, nothing... therefore MORE than GORGEOUS, wherever you look, is image.

I usually get seats in the exact center of the cinema, I would call it "sweetest spot" from the entire cinema, although that I admit it, for a much more immersive experience (as I had on first Avatar, maybe I will tell you some other time ;)), one could go one row in front of me (8, instead of 9 from a total of 12).

Hope all this clarify the matter and also convince you (and others), that the ONLY way to watch Avatar is in IMAX 3D!

P.S. I would want to point out that also Dominion, despite having mostly dark scenes, was GREAT in IMAX 3D and can barely wait to see it! ;):p

Sorry @C.C. 95 if my answer was not so explicit for your question, yet I recalled (yesterday, after I just sent and edited my message, but after closing everything for going to sleep), that the IMAX 3D trailed of Avatar: The Way Of The Water was also IMAX FULL SCREEN, as opposed to all the trailers online.
Therefore, more specifically, the 3D on Avatar 2 trailer in IMAX 3D was SUPERB!
I honestly can't express it how GORGEOUS is to see those GINORMOUS EYES and the FULL BLUE FACE sitting RIGHT IN FRONT of you, while you are merely the size of one of the eyes.... is... is... I... can't express it... sorry...
View attachment 532600

And although that the trailer did not had some 3D-vertigo-inducing scenes as it was (if you remember) the one in first Avatar, when they and us go down on the back of an ikran, but the image from within the water, was SPECTACULAR also in FULL IMAX 3D.
View attachment 532601

And please don't get me wrong, this was NOT that kind of stupid/idiot 4:3 IMAX that we got in ZSJL, no, was FULL SCREEN, no border, nothing... therefore MORE than GORGEOUS, wherever you look, is image.

I usually get seats in the exact center of the cinema, I would call it "sweetest spot" from the entire cinema, although that I admit it, for a much more immersive experience (as I had on first Avatar, maybe I will tell you some other time ;)), one could go one row in front of me (8, instead of 9 from a total of 12).

Hope all this clarify the matter and also convince you (and others), that the ONLY way to watch Avatar is in IMAX 3D!

P.S. I would want to point out that also Dominion, despite having mostly dark scenes, was GREAT in IMAX 3D and can barely wait to see it! ;):p
Thanks @Felix_ro :thumbs:
Did you get the imoression that Cameron had made upgrades to his 3D? Does it look *better* compared to the first installment?
My guess is that he has refined his 3D in these intervening years.

Thanks @Felix_ro :thumbs:
Did you get the imoression that Cameron had made upgrades to his 3D? Does it look *better* compared to the first installment?
My guess is that he has refined his 3D in these intervening years.
Actually, I don't think I could say something like this, not better than all the 3D trailers I saw at the same time, just the same as those, and then Dr. Strange; remember I said about Dr. Strange that was MORE CLEAR and seemed brighter than I could remember seeing anything in 3D IMAX, and most specially WAY LESS cross-talk. Didn't saw something radically different, unless this more bright, more clear and less cross-talk is the thing Cameron will bring .
Yet, you still have to remember that IF (somehow) Cameron comes up with something indeed different (and new), then most likely will not be actually working with the current glaces, with which I was watching then, right?
I for one, will say it again, don't believe Cameron will actually do something else, he just perfected the underwater body motion capture and character CGI (which actually is far advanced now, with all the Marvel movies that make one believe that everything is on screen is real). So, not much, I'm afraid.