Star Trek: Next Generation - Season 2 (Blu-ray SteelBook)(Amazon Exclusive) [Germany]

carllenc

Premium Supporter
Oct 22, 2011
Czech Republic
Star Trek: Next Generation - Season 2 Collectors Edition, Steelbook (exklusiv bei Amazon.de) [Blu-ray]

Release Date: December 20th, 2012

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B009T62L08/?tag=hidefnin0d-21

ST_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they've at least addressed the pin issue. My wife will be pleased by the news of a second season release.

shame the aspect ratio is 4:3 :angry:

It obviously aired that way since the show is older. Someone who follows this better than me may be able to elaborate, but I thought the show was shot with the intention of showing it in 4:3? Meaning they can open the matte and do a 16:9 picture, but it will show other stuff (including boom mikes, etc... that was not meant to be seen) and mess with the special effects. Or I suppose they could pan and scan a 4:3 shot to 16:9, but that would take even more picture away. Neither seem like viable options.

Reactions: spawnshop
It obviously aired that way since the show is older. Someone who follows this better than me may be able to elaborate, but I thought the show was shot with the intention of showing it in 4:3? Meaning they can open the matte and do a 16:9 picture, but it will show other stuff (including boom mikes, etc... that was not meant to be seen) and mess with the special effects. Or I suppose they could pan and scan a 4:3 shot to 16:9, but that would take even more picture away. Neither seem like viable options.

I agree, I rather have the Original Aspect Ratio

Not everything is 16:9

I don't see why all the complaining is about. Sure it's 4:3 ratio but that just means you'll get black bars on either side instead of on the top and bottom like you would with a 16:9. Same difference in my opinion.

The series was filmed in 4:3 ratio and cannot be changed. If you go back through the thread for the first season SteelBook I display a video off of YouTube where they talk about the transfer process and why they couldn't make it 16:9 ratio.

Plus your getting an improved picture quality over the previous DVD editions as well as uncompressed audio. So there's little to complain about.

Re-imagined -- not really, and that did not stop them before.

If you go back through the thread for the first season SteelBook I display a video off of YouTube where they talk about the transfer process and why they couldn't make it 16:9 ratio.

https://www.hidefninja.com/forums/showthread.php?p=367101&highlight=video#post367101

I had to go back and look for that. Interesting but they could have made it work, rather than look for one or two shots that most made their point. They did give it some thought, though. At least they considered it. Again, I think they could have made it work, especially since they went so far as to use new Enterprise models and backgrounds in the original series. "Re-imagined" much?

Plus your getting an improved picture quality over the previous DVD editions as well as uncompressed audio. So there's little to complain about.

We'd get that with any blu-ray release. :wtf:

https://www.hidefninja.com/forums/showthread.php?p=367101&highlight=video#post367101

I had to go back and look for that. Interesting but they could have made it work, rather than look for one or two shots that most made their point. They did give it some thought, though. At least they considered it. Again, I think they could have made it work, especially since they went so far as to use new Enterprise models and backgrounds in the original series. "Re-imagined" much?

We'd get that with any blu-ray release. :wtf:

I can understand if they were restoring a movie but an entire series is a whole different picture altogether. They actually have to recreate those scenes on either side. If it's say a picture of the bridge it's easier to add in as it's mostly information on the side that tends to stay stationary and has little detail.

If it's a high detail fast or even a semi-fast moving scene that rolls off to the side they have to completely remake that part of the scenes digitally so not only is it filling that area but it's moving an object as well past that area and rolling. That's a lot of information to remake digitally.

Sure they can do it but they weighed in whether they wanted to restore it to that degree for not just one season but an entire series. Too much work and money to make it happen in my opinion.

I'm happy with it nonetheless but I can see where your coming from.