Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
3.67 star(s) Rating: 3.67/5 6 Votes
Title: Star Wars: Episode IX

Genre: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Action, Adventure, War

Director: J.J. Abrams

Cast: Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Mark Hamill, Joonas Suotamo, Kelly Marie Tran, Domhnall Gleeson, Naomi Ackie, Keri Russell, Richard E. Grant, Dominic Monaghan, Matt Smith, Lupita Nyong'o, Dave Chapman, Brian Herring, Anthony Daniels, Jimmy Vee, Billie Lourd, Greg Grunberg

Release: 2019-12-18

Plot: The next installment in the franchise and the conclusion of the “Star Wars“ sequel trilogy as well as the “Skywalker Saga“.

88% audience score, if you read the critic reviews on RT most are just trolling because it tries to fix TLJ.

I have more respect for a mouldy sausage than I do anyone that places relevance on RT critic scores! They are critics because they are too useless to make a film! Huge amount of RT scores are made up from bloggers and nobodies, who's opinion on any subject are utterly worthless

I have more respect for a mouldy sausage than I do anyone that places relevance on RT critic scores! They are critics because they are too useless to make a film! Huge amount of RT scores are made up from bloggers and nobodies, who's opinion on any subject are utterly worthless
That's pretty much my thoughts on critics too... they get paid to tell people what their likes/dislikes are? Seems so pointless to me, but hey-ho!

If you're into reviews, then general cinema goers are more reliable and honest IMO. Not that I ever really take much notice of them either, but still.

Personally I think folks should judge movies for themselves... I've said it before, but I would miss out on so many films I love if I were to trust other's opinions.

Saw the film again today (2nd time in total) and on reflection I'm just as happy with it as I was with TFA when I saw that back in 2015

I think it's between this and Doctor Sleep as my favourite films of the year :)

I think I need to rewatch this and TFA before I can fully make up my mind. Was it only good in comparison to TLJ? If the last movie wasn't such a dumpster fire would this be a fitting conclusion? Right now I'm really struggling to make up my mind.

My gut reaction is that I liked it and feel that even critics I usually agree with are being overly harsh, but it's a shame that the series is always going to have this huge 'what if?' hanging over it. Like Mark Kermode (who loved TLJ) said "it's a three part story without a second act".

I don't agree with people saying this is playing it safe though, there are some WTF? moments in this that completely outclass any supposed subversion in TLJ.

Saw it yesterday and tried to look at it as objectively as possible. Visually the movie was stunning. After seeing all three of the sequel trilogy it is pretty clear there wasn’t a shared vision of the direction the plot would go. Much of the movie was fan service or seemed like damage control from TLJ. As a result the story seemed very contrived at times. I can see how some people liked it and how others hated it.

Obviously everyone will have a different vision and never going to make everybody happy. For instance after originally watching TFA I thought it would be a cool new direction to follow Finn since at the time a defecting stormtrooper was unique and compelling.

Reactions: hoppusdelonge
That's pretty much my thoughts on critics too... they get paid to tell people what their likes/dislikes are? Seems so pointless to me, but hey-ho!

If you're into reviews, then general cinema goers are more reliable and honest IMO. Not that I ever really take much notice of them either, but still.

Personally I think folks should judge movies for themselves... I've said it before, but I would miss out on so many films I love if I were to trust other's opinions.
Yeah my thoughts as well, I don’t ever listen to critics’ reviews, they aren’t worth a sh*t imho. If someone must go off reviews I always tell them to go off the audience rating instead. The percentage is more in line with a proper review. Fifty reviews is always better than 1-5 which is usually about how many critics review a movie and if someone absolutely must get a critics review I refer them to Roger Eberts website not that crappy ole’ Rotten Tomatoes. There critics are waaaay better of course they didn’t give it a very good review either. Just look at the audience rating at IMDb.
44B8D867-BE45-4380-824C-39C8E2B3B42F.jpeg

Saw it yesterday and tried to look at it as objectively as possible. Visually the movie was stunning. After seeing all three of the sequel trilogy it is pretty clear there wasn’t a shared vision of the direction the plot would go. Much of the movie was fan service or seemed like damage control from TLJ. As a result the story seemed very contrived at times. I can see how some people liked it and how others hated it.

Obviously everyone will have a different vision and never going to make everybody happy. For instance after originally watching TFA I thought it would be a cool new direction to follow Finn since at the time a defecting stormtrooper was unique and compelling.
I think Abrams and the other writers of TFA definitely had bigger plans for Finn,
it's pretty obvious that his force sensitivity was supposed to be a much larger part of the story

Reactions: jcm
Finally saw this yesterday and I'm still unsure how I feel about it... initially I really enjoyed it and found it very entertaining, but the more I think about it, the more I find myself picking it apart and realising there was a lot I didn't quite like in regards to how the story and certain character arcs played out (similar case with TLJ), but there was also a lot I loved about it. So not a bad film at all and certainly not the worst Star Wars as critics are making out. I'm definitely in need of a rewatch though!

Last edited:
Finally saw this yesterday and I'm still unsure how I feel about it... initially I really enjoyed it and found it very entertaining, but the more I think about it, the more I find myself picking it apart and realising there was a lot I didn't quite like in regards to how the story and certain character arcs played out (similar case with TLJ), but there was also a lot I loved about it. So not a bad film at all and certainly not the worst Star Wars as critics are making out. I'm definitely in need of a rewatch though!
It gets better with a 2nd viewing.

Reactions: Noodles and kaw
Colin Trevorrow was the original writer and director of Episode IX before "creative differences" put an end to that. Well, we now have details from his script, and it's better than The Rise of Skywalker!

Full article:

• Wow
Reactions: kaw
The sequel trilogy has certainly divided fans and for the most part even I was a little disappointed with TROS. I felt it was a little lazy as they tried fitting pieces together to create closure. I will also never understand the need to kill off prior trilogy characters for the sake of leaving room for the next. Although the look and feel form part of the original films, the stories ended up being bits of things we have seen before. I did not "hate" it. But they could have done a better job on the story.

noodles you need read story below explains alot and maybe on the blu an extended cut

more detailed orginal source below

basil :thumbs:

Last edited:
Reactions: Noodles and Vega
noodles you need read story below explains alot and maybe on the blu an extended cut

more detailed orginal source below

I'm excited about an extended cut, but will wait for it to hit blu-ray rather than revisiting it in cinemas... I hate those type of money making tactics and refuse to support them, especially when it's coming from Di$ney.

Reactions: vexred
I'm excited about an extended cut, but will wait for it to hit blu-ray rather than revisiting it in cinemas... I hate those type of money making tactics and refuse to support them, especially when it's coming from Di$ney.

could not agree more, hopefully it hit the blu when predicted release date of 13th april i see surface a few days ago.
but need to see details of whats of the blu before release.

Reactions: Noodles
I'm sorry but this just hit's me right in the feels.

That theme does it for me every time. If you need me I'll just be over here buying my tickets to galaxy's edge. lol

• Wow
Reactions: Drum18