Star Wars (General movie discussions)

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
Please discuss all non 7-8-9 & anthology movies specific topics here! :)

Movie Schedule:
Star Wars - Untitled Taika Waititi project - TBA
Untitled Star Wars project - December 18, 2026
Untitled Star Wars project - December 20, 2024
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron - TBA 2023
Untitled Star Wars project - December 16, 2022
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - December 20, 2019
Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - Dec. 15, 2017
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Dec. 16, 2016
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens - Dec. 18, 2015

Disney+ Series
Boba Fett -> The Mandalorian
Obi-Wan Kenobi

poster.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Star Wars Animated Sitcom in the Works?!

Variety is reporting that LucasFilm is developing a new animated Star Wars animated television sitcom series. The Daily Show/Frank TV writer Brendan Hay will be the head writer, and Robot Chicken creators/producers Seth Green and Matthew Seinreich will be “creatively involved” while daytime Emmy and Gemini Award-winner Jennifer Hill (The Backyardians) will produce with Todd Grimes (Back at the Barnyard) directing. No start date, series title or network have yet been announced (although it appears they are aiming for either Comedy Central or Cartoon Network).

You might recall, Robot Chicken has collaborated with LucasFilm on a series of popular Star Wars parody specials. It seems like George Lucas has finally realized that he can make money off his own “Spaceballs.” I’ve been told that the Clone Wars animated series has actually gotten pretty good, but I don’t know many people watching it. To be fair, the people I know are well outside of the age demo of the series.

I just don’t understand why Lucas has yet to finalize the announced Star Wars live-action premium cable television series. It seems to me that the fans of the original trilogy would probably jump on a Sopranos-esque tv show.

/Film http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/05/lucasfilm-developing-star-wars-animated-sitcom/#ixzz0kLNIcWdz

I have high expectations :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Green says:

“The Star Wars universe is so dense and rich; it’s crazy to think that there aren’t normal, mundane everyday problems in a world so well-defined. And it’s even crazier to think of what those problems might be, since it’s all set in a galaxy far, far away. What do these characters do when they’re not overthrowing Empires?”

This sounds AWEFUL!

With announcements of two new Star Wars animated series, a live-action Star Wars TV show, and a potential 3D re-release of the films, it remains obvious that George Lucas is going to continue milking his (partially) beloved franchise for all its worth. But for now, there’s a significant complication that may derail momentum on the live-action television series, at least until Lucas and co. figure out how to return to their thrifty roots. Learn more after the break.

Comic Book Movie has an update from Lucas on the project and—assuming anybody was excited for this—it doesn’t inspire much hope:

The live action TV show is kind of on hold because we have scripts, but we don’t know how to do them. They literally are Star Wars, only we’re going to have to try to do them at a tenth the cost. And it’s a huge challenge, a lot bigger than what we thought it was gonna be.

I’m not sure how they didn’t realize ahead of time that movies with $115 million budgets don’t convert easily to affordable TV episodes, but I would think the solution would be obvious: Scrap the green screen fakery, and go old school. C’mon Lucas, remember A New Hope? The budget for that film was $11 million—a tenth of any of the prequels’ (though that isn’t adjusting for inflation)—and audiences even prefer the slightly deteriorated feel of that movie and its counterparts.

And considering that the series is set within Episode III and IV, there’s even potential here to bring a sort of meta spin to the Star Wars canon, bridging the gap between the two trilogies by transitioning from its current digital artifice to the scrappy style of the originals.

It’s not like big-budget sci-fi shows like these can’t be successful. Battlestar Galactica utilized its budget very well in its subsequent seasons, and has been without question one of SyFy’s most lucrative offerings. There’s no need for the Star Wars TV series to have a budget exceeding that of Battlestar’s or Firefly’s, and even if it did, the built-in fanbase would already ensure it a much larger audience. I wouldn’t watch it, mind you, but I’m certain there are a dozen or so million that would.

/Film http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/08/05/star-wars-live-action-tv-show-on-hold-again/#ixzz0vmWgv4y0

Anyone surprised by this?

Early in 2010, George Lucas came onto The Daily Show and was asked if he felt the need to respond to his detractors. His response: a definitive ‘No’. It’s interesting then, that so soon after the documentary The People vs. George Lucas started making its presence known, Lucasfilm announced that it would be beginning its own fan-driven chronicling of Star Wars experiences, referred to as simply The Star Wars Stories Project.

Fans were first called upon to share their Star Wars tales and memories at Comic-Con ‘09, and now the official Star Wars website announces that the project will continue this August, during the official Star Wars Celebration V in Orlando. Each fan will be granted 15-minutes to tell their story, and its recommended that you make a reservation if you intend to do so.

The question remains: What is Lucasfilm planning to do with this footage? Unless this is nothing more than a Lucas ego-trip a la Prince, I doubt they’d be going through all this effort to record hundreds of hours of video content without the intent to include it as part of some sort of Star Wars-related feature/documentary, and then released for the world to see (maybe theatrically? Or possibly on the upcoming Star Wars Blu-rays?).

Regardless of the intent, this can still be seen as something to directly combat all the negativity that was been heaped onto the series lately, such as the 70-minute Phantom Menace deconstruction (which has received nearly 2.5 million views). Perhaps it’s intended to show that, despite the vocalized hatred that the Star Wars prequels get online, the outside world has several generations of fans who love every aspect of the franchise, whether its the prequels, cartoons, or even books. Older generations may complain about how Lucas ruined in the saga in their own documentary, but let’s be realistic: If they weren’t talking about Star Wars, nobody would care what they had to say.

/Film http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/08/12...bat-the-people-vs-george-lucas/#ixzz0wQUqsmVD

I want to see what he comes up with. :D

empire-strikes-back.jpg

About time for George Lucas to **** up Star Wars again with some more renovations! After seeing how well 3-D worked for making Avatar a ****-ton of a money, the thick-necked toymaker has decided to do some more unnecessary post-production on his sci-fi epic, with plans to convert the entire series to 3-D. According to a press release obtained by the LA Times, we'll finally see The Star Wars George Lucas Always Intended starting in 2012, beginning with a new The Phantom Menace that will make you feel physically close to Jar Jar Binks. Doesn't that sound good? Lucas will then continue releasing the films each year, in order, so it's going be a while before we get around to any of the decent ones.

Finally, fans can see Jar Jar Binks in glorious three dimensions.

"Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace" has an official 3D theatrical release date.

The first part in the space saga will hit theaters on Feb. 10, 2012, according to a Lucasfilm-operated site.

Lucasfilm plans to release all six films in the series in 3D, with one coming out each year. The hope is to reintroduce the franchise to young audiences who have only seen "Star Wars" on TV and DVD.

This isn't the first time Lucas has revisited the original trilogy. In 1997, the director spent over $10 million up revising the movies he shot in the 1970s and 80s and inserting scenes and characters that exploited CGI technology.

He also inserted new digital alien creations and inserted scenes -- alterations that drew the ire of fans.

The conversion to 3D was supervised by Industrial Light & Magic.

Reactions: digitalbabe
Czech Position got a chance to talk to producer Rick McCallum about the "Star Wars" TV series, which he says may shoot in Prague.
McCallum was asked whether the Czech capital was in the running for the series. "Oh, absolutely. This would be one of the primary places because of the talent," he said. McCallum produced Lucasfilm's upcoming Red Tails, which was also shot in the Czech Republic.

"The TV series is on hold, but that has nothing to do with the Czech Republic; it has to do with [the episodes being] so ambitious," he added. "We have 50 hours of third-draft scripts, but the problem we have is there is a lot of digital animation; we don't have the technology yet to be able to do them at a price that is safe for television. Since we would be financing them, it would be suicide for us to do this [now]. So we are going to wait three or four years."

Still, the "Star Wars" TV series may never see the light of day, McCallum mentioned. "Network television and cable television as we know it are completely imploding, so we're not really sure that in five years' time we can release a dramatic one-hour episode because it is all reality TV now."
The producer also revealed the basic storyline of the scripts. "It takes place between episodes three and four, when Luke Skywalker was growing up as a teenager, but it has nothing to do with Luke... Basically, it is like 'The Godfather'; it's the Empire slowly building up its power base around the galaxy, what happens in Coruscant, which is the major capital, and it's [about] a group of underground bosses who live there and control drugs, prostitution."

McCallum also said that the 3D conversion of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, hitting theaters on February 10, 2012, will serve as a test. If it works, they'll be released one a year, if it doesn't, "Episode I" will be the only one.

so, who's going to see this and relive the hype of 1999

I'm going for nostalgia reasons :)

Nah, I'll pass on the gimmick of 3D for a mediocre film. Wish they'd release the original cuts of the original 3 in theaters again though....and on Blu. NO UPDATED EFFECTS!