Star Wars (General movie discussions)

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
Please discuss all non 7-8-9 & anthology movies specific topics here! :)

Movie Schedule:
Star Wars - Untitled Taika Waititi project - TBA
Untitled Star Wars project - December 18, 2026
Untitled Star Wars project - December 20, 2024
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron - TBA 2023
Untitled Star Wars project - December 16, 2022
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - December 20, 2019
Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - Dec. 15, 2017
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Dec. 16, 2016
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens - Dec. 18, 2015

Disney+ Series
Boba Fett -> The Mandalorian
Obi-Wan Kenobi

poster.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rian Johnson is developing a new Star Wars trilogy!!!
Johnson will write and direct the first film in the series, with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce.

As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

“We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”

“We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last Jedi,” Johnson and Bergman said in a joint statement. “Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have contributed to it. We can’t wait to continue with this new series of films.”
Very interesting! This is kind of what I hoped J.J. would do, but with the current trilogy. Looking forward to hearing/seeing more about Johnson's though, of course. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Very interesting! This is kind of what I hoped J.J. would do, but with the current trilogy. Looking forward to hearing/seeing more about Johnson's though, of course. :)

This makes me very excited for The Last Jedi. They must have really liked how the film turned out and working with Johnson to trust him with a whole new Trilogy.

I wonder if this will be 10, 11, 12? or a whole separate thing? (Non "Star Wars Story" side movie)

This makes me very excited for The Last Jedi. They must have really liked how the film turned out and working with Johnson to trust him with a whole new Trilogy.

I wonder if this will be 10, 11, 12? or a whole separate thing? (Non "Star Wars Story" side movie)
Oh yeah, for sure! Which is why I'm kind of surprised nothing's been said about J.J. doing the same, since TFA was obviously a huge hit and they all worked well together. But who knows... maybe J.J. has plans of his own.

I get the impression they're planning to do something completely new/separate anyway, but make it as epic as the original Star Wars, which is pretty exciting IMO. I love the idea of them giving this generation of kids some of those same emotions and memories we all had when we first saw the original trilogy as youngsters.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
Oh yeah, for sure! Which is why I'm kind of surprised nothing's been said about J.J. doing the same, since TFA was obviously a huge hit and they all worked well together. But who knows... maybe J.J. has plans of his own.

I get the impression they're planning to do something completely new/separate anyway, but make it as epic as the original Star Wars, which is pretty exciting IMO. I love the idea of them giving this generation of kids some of those same emotions and memories we all had when we first saw the original trilogy as youngsters.

JJ once said he was going to be done with Star Wars after TFA. Obviously that changed when they fired Trevorrow and he signed on to finish this trilogy.
Looking back it probably would have made more sense for JJ to have done 7,8, and 9... and then let Johnson do his own trilogy. haha But too late now! :p

• Thanks
Reactions: Drum18 and Noodles
Game of Thrones Creators to Write, Produce New Series of Star Wars Movies
david-benioff-db-weiss.jpg

Source: ComingSoon
Lucasfilm has announced that the creators of HBO’s Game of Thrones franchise are headed to a galaxy far, far away! David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films for the company which are separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the previously announced trilogy that is in development from Star Wars: The Last Jedi‘s Rian Johnson.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”

No release dates have been set for the new films by the studio, and currently no official release dates have been announced beyond the 2019 premiere of Star Wars: Episode IX.

• Thanks
Reactions: Drum18
I'll happily have some of this! However, I'd rather they were involved with a Star Wars TV series.

Please be Knights of the Old Republic!!!

I'll happily have some of this! However, I'd rather they were involved with a Star Wars TV series.

Would be awesome if they switched this into a series... Would work well to launch it on Disney's streaming service they have coming out.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Considering how he screwed so many Star Wars fan with TLJ, no surprise here if they cancelled "his vision" on Star Wars…

J.J. to the rescue!
Yup, I'm not surprised either, considering all the backlash he received for TLJ. Don't get me wrong... I personally found the movie to be really entertaining, but I agree that he completely derailed what JJ had set up in TFA -- they should've just allowed JJ to direct all 3 films. But anyway, if the rumours are true, then I honestly feel sorry for Johnson... I genuinely believe he could deliver a really enjoyable trilogy, since it would be his own and wouldn't have to worry about upsetting folks about messing up someone else's work.