SteelBook Mini - Forum Recommendations & Feedback

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Hi all,

What are some possible ideas of what things could be included and/or uses of the SteelBook Mini in which you would welcome or like to see?

First and foremost the idea is not to replace g2 sized disc SteelBooks, but an addition to the marketplace.

Not sure if other Country retailers have seen the digital cards and/or ugly card hangers that we see in Walmart for digital movies but seems there is some room to compete against that or as mentioned above utilize for something different entirely.

Some of my own ideas

Video game dlc - seems that would be a cool physical add on resembling something from the game.

Metal themed cards inside

Extra special features to a movie perhaps earlier then release date.

Many of the Premium SteelBook retailers use numbered cards , release this in addition holding the card.

Coin or pin inside licensed case with dlc card inside.

Theater merch with coin inside. (AMC in USA has been doing marvel coins )

Do you have any thoughts, ideas, or constructive criticism?

D49AED48-FC3E-44DC-BC5B-B049425F9B53.jpeg
B78C33BE-3DD2-43AB-BDAA-C04DDBE9B443.jpeg
353AC108-1D19-4347-B12B-7BA0AB554D7C.jpeg
5E5B2646-AC86-4C84-A977-F0C4F6EF488F.jpeg

• Thanks
Reactions: dfoles and Suspi
Just not a fan personally. I see the John wick one And although I like the art and the gold bar thing it just don’t look right to me at that size

I do want to get the guardians CD steels to check them out but I’m waiting on a huge drop for them anyway so I can’t really judge without having one in hand tbh

I do however like the idea of a pin relating to the film (or whatever the product is) as a extra @Wreck

Is that compared to a 3DS steelbook or one of the music cd ones like GotG OST Zavvi

For now...
These will kill our beloved physical media.
Thank you for your constructive criticism. :p

They are too small to make current steelbook lovers stop buying g2 and only minis.

When these came out ...
snickers-fun-size_1.jpg

People didn't stop buying these.
snickers1.8ox-bar_1.jpg

Why sell 1 when you can sell 2?

For promo/freebies they seem very cool as a way to give away a unique digital offering. So the Community Feedback is to give ideas as to what could be put inside that would make them welcomed editions to purchase.

Another example: If a boxset is already to include a pin, put the pin/badge inside one of these with the digital code on a card inside. While the box set also includes a g2 SteelBook. etc.

• Thanks
Reactions: DMD4k
Oh I see their uses and yes they're nice and cute. Some good ideas have been shared already in this thread.
The problem is I'm not wrong and your correlation to the Snickers bars is faulty.

1. I bet it costs less to produce the larger snickers bar per 100g than the smaller ones. Not so with G2 vs these minis.
2. My guess is the smaller ones are more expensive to purchase per 100g. But more convenient to carry or seen as a way to limit your intake if you only eat one, or whatever idea their marketing department has sold it as. Physical media is not the same product as digital, it's not a miniature disc. I don't need a smaller size for ease of carrying it around, they sit on shelves.

3. Studios would earn more if we all went digital tomorrow.
4. They will introduce the mini format for now and happily sell us on the idea they are going to happily coexist.
5. When it gains traction, G2s will slowly be phased out.
6. Effective end of physical media. Studios earn more, which is the real objective. They'll sell the idea digital media is cheaper, for now, but when physical media is no more then the sky's the limit for pricing (no physical media to cap it off).

That is how it's done. And I know you know this.

Reactions: Leafs17
Would love to see it as a game dlc case, bonus features case, etc. It's too bad steelbooks were not as huge during the PSP/Vita days as there were prolific physical releases, especially the PSP with the UMD (Universal Media Disk). Theater freebies in their own case would be neat as well - imagine AMC's Ant-Man and the Wasp bonuses (shrunken comic and challenge coin) being in a fittingly diminutive case!

The idea that this could ever phase out physical media is, frankly, absurd - the primo steelbook collector game is figuratively in the "there's DOZENS of us!" class as far as group size goes, so I'm sure if retailers were to market them, even with digital movie releases inside, there would be no change to the market trends. I mean, honestly - raise your hand if you think people spending triple the price of a standard physical or digital release and not even opening it are outstripping those who actually consume the content by way of more traditional means, and I'll show you a liar. We are not the majority as far as media consumption goes and it pays to recognize this before flying off the handle and saying, "That's my steelbook! I DON'T KNOW YOUUU!"

Reactions: dfoles
I actually love the idea of smaller steels and think using them for soundtracks is a great concept... it's just the prices that are a big turn off. I remember when blu-ray steels first came about they were much cheaper than they are now, so as something new on the market they were more affordable to start collecting. They can't expect anyone to start a new collection of smaller steels if the starting prices are ridiculously high, especially when people will most likely already own that soundtrack anyway... I'd love to get the upcoming steelbook versions of the GOTG soundtracks, but paying £16 each for something I basically already have isn't going to happen!

I could see these being used for:

Video Game DLC

Gift cards

Music CDs - I would be more inclined to buy a physical disc this way than buy it via iTunes or other means. But the price can’t be ridiculous like the GotG Zavvi OSTs. You can’t sell the sound track to a movie for the same price as the movie itself. GotG 1 and 2 OSTs are originally priced £19.99 and on sale for £15.99. Also on Zavvi, GotG 2 the movie is currently on sale for £19.99, originally £28.99. Right now Target has the standard CD soundtracks for GotG 1 and 2 for $10.99 (£8.30). You’re not getting me to almost double the standard price just for a cute steelbook.

A small/fine screwdriver set with multiple bits of different tips (philips, flat, tri, Torx etc) and a small screwdriver.

Maybe a USB Adapter kit. It would have a small USB cable coiled inside, and inside the circle of cable would be interchangeable adapters (micro USB, mini USB, Lightning, 30 pin iPhone, usb C, etc).

First the "constructive criticism", I obviously dislike the idea of these Mini SteelBooks, if they do in fact, eventually replace Blu-ray sized SteelBooks, as the de facto option for a digital-only format for movies, games, DLC, gift cards, OSTs, etc. Digital-only, or digital preferred by most, which to be honest, is going to happen, eventually, and already is now, will end SteelBook collecting for me. Friends and family members already think I'm crazy for buying physical media of movies, games, etc. But even I stopped buying CDs years ago; so it IS going to happen.

Now for a few ideas that might work for Mini SteelBooks, that I'd never buy/collect:
  • As others have noted, perhaps OSTs in this format would work. As noted above, I've already moved to all digital/subscription for music, so I'd never buy/collect them.
  • Special offers, value-added, gift cards and DLC. I buy gift cards during the holidays, but wouldn't be willing to spend more on one in a Mini SteelBook. I also, periodically, buy DLC for games I've really enjoyed, but I've never bought it at a store; I've always bought it digitally. These things already exist, so perhaps I am alone on this.
And finally, a few unique ideas for Mini SteelBooks, that I might actually buy/collect:
  • Mini SteelBooks as signage for my Blu-ray SteelBook collection. I'd use a Mini SteelBook that simply said SteelBook across the front as display worthy signage for my collection. Or perhaps the Mini SteelBook is open and the word SteelBook is printed across the outside and/or the inside. What if some of the Mini SteelBooks were licensed, like the movies being produced in SteelBooks now, and I could get a Mini SteelBook that said Marvel SteelBook across the front, it included a digital copy of several Marvel movies or a Marvel collectible of some kind, and I could use the Mini SteelBook as signage for my Marvel SteelBook collection. Not sure that this idea would have legs longterm, but I'd buy in.
  • Mini SteelBooks as collectibles displays. Imagine a Mini SteelBook displayed open, like an open jewelry case, with the skyline of NY printed on the verticle portion, and rooftops printed on the horizontal portion. Simply add your mini Spider-Man collectible, for a unique display. Or imagine the Mini SteelBook displayed like an open greeting card, with the same NY skyline printed across the inside; again, just add your mini Marvel collectible.
  • Finally, what if the Mini SteelBook WAS the collectible. Imagine a Mini SteelBook that opens like a pop-up book, or pop-up greeting card; with metallic pop-up scene playing out on the inside, from the movie being included digitally with it.

Some of my own ideas

Video game dlc - seems that would be a cool physical add on resembling something from the game

It's a good idea but I mean these (picture below) had steelbooks and I thought they were fantastic despite being G2 and being empty. If it become the official standard for DLC where every DLC which had a steelbook were mini versions then I don't think I'd mind as long as everyone stays consistent but like I said the G2 ones that popped up every so often were pretty decent.

I do think though if you are just getting a code inside then they need to make these editions a little bit more special by adding something to them, make them worth the money.

1) The Soundtrack of the DLC, the main game or both

2) The DLC code is on a limited and stylish metal card like in the Sonic Mania collectors edition

3) Art Cards

4) A Poster of the DLC's promo art

5) A small replica from the game or DLC. For example if it was "Nuka World" then you could have a Nuka-Cade ticket or a metal Nuka-Cade token. I've managed to fit a metal thin keyring in a steelbook before so it's possible to do.

6) The art has to be good...and I mean it NEEDS to be. If you are asking a lot of money for it then you can't mess people around and try arty farty crap, the Fallout ones below are great and they are the official expansions promo art.

Just my thoughts :3

Cq_J7_QZWAAAs_Wv_T.jpg

Reactions: dfoles
I'd have to hold one to be sure but I don't think I'd much mind main features on physical media in square steelbooks (not exactly mini though).

Also, collectibles such as enamel pins and such or baseball card style photos would look great in a mini. However, I'd like to see magnetic closures on these instead of snap closures; also having detents to allow opening them at various angles. This doubtless makes them more expensive but since we are dreaming... why not? :sleep:;)

Finally, exclusive inside art (whether direct on the steel or as inserts) under optically clear plastic would look nice.

Last edited:
cassette tapes.....maybe minidisc
I miss Minidsics. LOVED that format.

Personally I don’t see the point in ‘minis’ outside of the OST CDtype ones (which, GotG wise, need to be below a tenner)

Being able to get steelbooks for digital copies of games; I love steels burn prefer digital copies of games vs discs. Just need more Destiny 2 type releases where the empty steel could be purchased Solo for a tenner.

I usually only buy game DLC in a sale, especially if a collector's edition cheaps out by not including a season pass. Do people actually buy digital content in store? I might be tempted to pay full price for DLC if one of these was included for free but it would cancel out the only real benefit of digital, no need to find storage space.

I suppose premium retailers could use them to house the cards etc, but again it creates a space issue, and will most likely bump up the price.