Taking the dive into Projectorism

jaws finatic

Premium Supporter
Mar 6, 2013
Downeast Maine
I see alot of folks on here with some pretty impressive setups. Unfortunately for me, I'm not Mr.Moneybags by any stretch of the imagination. This means I must be patient and frugal as I search for desires of my theater fancy.

The wifey got me 100 gift certificate at Amazon and I was going to use it on steels, but have also been looking at affordable options in the projection department. After exhausting hours in this endeavor, I've found one that seems like it make actually be worth the money.

It has a 5 star rating, can project up to 130" (I'd mostly have it at 80" due to wall space), and is quite affordable. I'm just hesitant because I've learned in life that if something seems too good to be true, it usually is.

The projector I'm looking at is:

iDGLAX iDG-787W LCD Video Multi-media Mini Portable Projector for Home Theater 300 Lumens HD Ready.

Pretty excited about possibly living my dream of home theater love. Just curious if any of you guys have tried some of these less costly units, and how they panned out. Or if you know of this unit in particular?

@jaws finatic it says HD Ready and page says Native Resolution 640x480, Compatible with 1080i/p,

I'd be pretty leery about this. You get what you pay for saying comes to mind. I suspect many reviews are from teens and kids who just love it as is.

Actually there is only 7 reviews and one even starts with "*Product Received in Exchange for Honest Review*" So bottom line who can trust any of those reviews as perhaps all received free product to do such.

But it is Amazon ... if you dont like it you should be able to return it easily.

I'd look for a better budget projector tho if I was you. Round $300ish

I am pretty leery about it. Haven't pulled the trigger because it seems like one of those 'too good to be true' things that come around every so often.

It does show that the original MSRP is 299.99, unlike the others I've seen who's reviews aren't comparable. I've looked at several of them and all have mention of shoddy projection quality with the exception of those with a 5 star rating (affordable to my pocket, that is).

My hesitance is what compelled me to bring my query to Ninja.

As you state I could order it, give it a shot, and return if unhappy. My other option for the money was to acquire the individual
Star Wars steelbooks. I own the original trilogy thanks to a win here, but wouldn't mind owning the lot.

Thanks for your advice @Wreck . I'm leaning toward taking it.