Premium Supporter
May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
3.83 star(s) Rating: 3.83/5 6 Votes
Title: Tenet (2020)

Tagline: Time runs out.

Genre: Action, Drama, Thriller

Director: Christopher Nolan

Cast: John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Michael Caine, Kenneth Branagh and more...

Release: 2020-07-17

Plot: An action epic revolving around international espionage, time travel, and evolution.

• Thanks
Reactions: CollectorEmtee

:hungry:
giphy.gif

Watched the prologue for this before Star Wars this morning and oh my gosh this looks good, seriously can't wait for it.

Yeah I saw it IMAX before SW tonight as well. Shocked how long it was! Felt like a good 10 mins? No? Thought it looked great!!!
The Trailer does a better job showing off the craziness back and forth stuff. This is a little more straight forward and very intense.
Hands down seeing this in IMAX opening night.

Yeah I saw it IMAX before SW tonight as well. Shocked how long it was! Felt like a good 10 mins? No? Thought it looked great!!!
The Trailer does a better job showing off the craziness back and forth stuff. This is a little more straight forward and very intense.
Hands down seeing this in IMAX opening night.
Definitely! It was so intense! Goransson's score supported it really well. 6 minutes and 32 seconds to be precise :D At times I was confused by what was actually going on in that scene....not that I was surprised by it....its a Nolan film LOL :D

Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
The fate of the summer movie season rests on one Christopher Nolan film

As quarantines and lockdowns have ravaged the entertainment industry, most studios have taken their films out of theaters — worried about health implications, government restrictions and consumer reluctance to sit in a dark room with strangers.

Then there’s Warner Bros.

The studio is pressing ahead with release plans for “Tenet,” the mysterious and much-anticipated new movie from “Inception” director and proven moneymaker Christopher Nolan. Executives are making plans to open the movie widely across the United States as scheduled on July 17 amid the ongoing spread of the coronavirus. They’re going through all the paces of a big summer release, despite many reasons a successful rollout may not be remotely possible.

At stake, say entertainment players and analysts, is nothing short of the nation’s preeminent form of public entertainment.

“If ‘Tenet’ doesn’t come out or doesn’t succeed, every other company goes home,” said a marketing executive from a rival studio who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the news media. “It’s no movies until Christmas.”

Experts describe two fundamentally different visions of what the next few months will look like.

In one, audiences eager to leave the house after months of isolation pour in (social distantly) to see the Nolan film, which appears to focus on an agent attempting to prevent a global catastrophe (plot specifics remain, unsurprisingly, vague). Every auditorium is filled with “Tenet” moviegoers; many theaters stay open late to accommodate them. Other studio films, such as “Mulan” and “Wonder Woman 1984,” then follow. The summer consigns the spring quarantines to a place of surreal memory.

The other scenario is bleaker: Continued covid-19 fears either prompt Warner Bros. to delay “Tenet” or consumers to stay away, resulting in a flop. Other studios that have been cautiously scheduling post-“Tenet” releases pull their movies. The summer turns out to look just like spring — “new” entertainment means old Netflix shows and “going out” is a euphemism for walking around the block.

Like the spinning top at the end of “Inception,” even close observers don’t know which way this could go.

“In some respects opening this movie in July seems like a very smart move because the landscape is so wide open,” said Ira Deutchman, a longtime veteran of film distribution and exhibition, referring to the lack of other major movies. “But anyone who says they know what is going to happen is lying.”

“Tenet,” he and others note, is ideally built to jolt consumers back into moviegoing. It’s an intriguing premise from one of the most financially successful filmmakers in history opening in theaters with zero serious competition.

That gives experts hope — and also makes them think that if “Tenet” can’t work, nothing will.

The feature-film business has lost billions of dollars due to the pandemic. The April-June period in 2019 produced $3.4 billion in box-office receipts. So far in 2020? It’s yielded just $102,000. The summer could see more losses, with numbers well below the $2 billion of last July and August, especially if major markets like New York and Los Angeles remain closed.

But as batches of spring and summer movies began getting postponed in March, Warner Bros. officially left “Tenet” on the calendar. At first it seemed like it was simply delaying the inevitable. Yet it soon became clear that WB and Nolan, a passionate advocate for the theatrical experience in the age of streaming, were planning to use the movie as a kind of reopening lever.

That plan has now come into focus.

Both Warner Bros. and Nolan declined to comment for this story. But those with knowledge of the plans describe how the studio is moving forward. The company has already conducted cast and filmmaker interviews for “long-lead” journalists, monthly magazine writers, by Zoom, and is preparing to drop a second trailer online soon — the trappings of a company preparing a major summer release.

The studio, Nolan and theater owners have also remained in close contact about the measures that can be taken to bring people safely into multiplexes. Everyone has been trying to pull toward the same goal, say those familiar with the conversations who were not authorized to speak about them publicly: support “Tenet” as the movie that reopens America.

For Warner Bros, the upside to this approach is huge: It could capitalize on months of pent-up demand and give the studio theaters all to itself.

Unfortunately, analysts note, there’s a reason the reward is high: no other studio wants to go first.

“We’re going to get a pretty good idea of [our prospects] because there’s a competitive movie that opens up one week before our film does,” Disney chief executive Bob Chapek told investors on a conference call last week, sounding relieved as he described the plan for the company’s “Mulan,” as of now scheduled for July 24.

The industry in recent weeks has been divided on what should be done. In Zoom meetings, virtual lunches and conference calls, the conversation has often turned to “Tenet” and whether Nolan is once again a visionary who can save Hollywood or a man who has quixotically let his belief in theaters blind him to current realities.

Nolan himself has fueled the debate with an op-ed in The Washington Post, in which he wrote grandly of the importance of movie theaters as a country tries to bounce back.

“When this crisis passes, the need for collective human engagement, the need to live and love and laugh and cry together, will be more powerful than ever,” he wrote in the piece. “We don’t just owe it to the 150,000 workers of this great American industry to include them in those we help, we owe it to ourselves. We need what movies can offer us.”

If “Tenet” were to sputter because of the pandemic, it would squander an important opportunity for Warner Bros., which spent as much as $200 million on the film and has been counting on it as a centerpiece of its 2020 profit strategy.

Other studios have decided it’s not worth the risk. Many theatrical releases this year continue to be pushed to 2021, and still others have gone to streaming. Disney this week said it was moving its recording of stage phenomenon “Hamilton” to Disney Plus. Universal is preparing to release its big summer comedy, Judd Apatow’s “The King of Staten Island,” starring and inspired by the life of Pete Davidson, as a digital rental next month.

But Warner Bros. executives privately believe their situation is different. Nolan has an unprecedented track record in modern Hollywood. Known for directing the massively profitable “Dark Knight” Batman movies, it’s his other films that have become eye-catchers — original concepts that succeed at a franchise level.

Nolan’s last three non-Batman movies — “Inception” (2010), “Interstellar” (2014) and “Dunkirk” (2017) — have collectively grossed more than $2 billion in theaters worldwide, making him the most bankable director brand of the past decade. Like Steven Spielberg in an earlier era, moviegoers buy tickets simply because his name is on a film. If his films have showed a new path in previous summers — they disproved tropes about original stories, about character-driven superheroes and about period movies — why, Warner Bros. executives wonder, can’t he do it again?

via The Washington Post

I will be there for sure Day 1 fk yeah can’t wait to get back into the swing of things and hitting up the cinemas and what a way to do it with Tenet :oohyeah: WoW WB and Nolan FTW :notworthy::drool: I can see this having extremely long legs at the BO :cigar:

Can’t wait to see this but I doubt I’ll be going to a cinema for the rest of the year

Reactions: vexred
Japan release date: September 18th, 2020.
I can't wait to see Tenet!
But I wound't be surprised if this film went straight to streaming service. 2020 is the year of digital movies.

Last edited:
Not sure if cinemas will be open by then. First watch of this kind of film should never be streaming.

I think they left the release date off the trailer on purpose. Totally agree, doesn't seem likely that cinemas will be open by then... and if they are... I wont be going.
Which sucks because I NEED to see this in IMAX! ...Maybe I could buy out the entire theater for a matinee screening or something haha :pompus:

I think they left the release date off the trailer on purpose. Totally agree, doesn't seem likely that cinemas will be open by then... and if they are... I wont be going.
Which sucks because I NEED to see this in IMAX! ...Maybe I could buy out the entire theater for a matinee screening or something haha :pompus:
Riiiiich! Try that and hope this film's worth the cost.

They apparently removed any mention of the release date from the bio of their official Twitter account yesterday, so people assumed it would be getting pushed back... looks like they've readded it now though.

Reactions: CollectorEmtee
Really nice seeing the forward/backward shots, especially JDWs character dodging those bullets while figthing.... That plane crash at the end tho! I was hoping to see at least a small glimpse of it and they showed it! Im very happy :)

Reactions: willbar84