Premium Supporter
May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
3.83 star(s) Rating: 3.83/5 6 Votes
Title: Tenet (2020)

Tagline: Time runs out.

Genre: Action, Drama, Thriller

Director: Christopher Nolan

Cast: John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Michael Caine, Kenneth Branagh and more...

Release: 2020-07-17

Plot: An action epic revolving around international espionage, time travel, and evolution.

• Thanks
Reactions: CollectorEmtee
I just watched it as well. It's absolutely bombastic, thats for sure. The action setpieces are breathtaking like few things i've seen in a theater.. interstellar comes to mind or the 65mm showing of 2001.
However, the sound was quite unbalanced, the music and the sound effects were super loud and the dialog was very hard to understand. I don't know if this is just the sound mix of the movie itself or the fault of our particular theater setup.
To be honest, I wanted more of this film in terms of storyline than what was offered. I will very likely watch it a second time in the theatre and see if anything is clearer on second fewing. I can't go more into why i thought the story was a little lackluster obviously because of spoilers.

I'm intrigued to see though how people will react to it in general. For a major blockbuster film for wide audiences it will likely be quite complicated to understand and follow. Concepts like entropy are not general knowledge so I'm interested to see what other people think!

Reactions: tommyh84
I just watched it as well. It's absolutely bombastic, thats for sure. The action setpieces are breathtaking like few things i've seen in a theater.. interstellar comes to mind or the 65mm showing of 2001.
However, the sound was quite unbalanced, the music and the sound effects were super loud and the dialog was very hard to understand. I don't know if this is just the sound mix of the movie itself or the fault of our particular theater setup.
To be honest, I wanted more of this film in terms of storyline than what was offered. I will very likely watch it a second time in the theatre and see if anything is clearer on second fewing. I can't go more into why i thought the story was a little lackluster obviously because of spoilers.

I'm intrigued to see though how people will react to it in general. For a major blockbuster film for wide audiences it will likely be quite complicated to understand and follow. Concepts like entropy are not general knowledge so I'm interested to see what other people think!

Yes for such a confusing film anyway it really doesn't help not actually being able to properly hear some of the dialogue, almost doesn't even give you fighting chance to try and understand what's going on

I've removed my previous comment as I've now watched an ending explained video and it all makes sense now :LOL::rofl:

Reactions: GeoRattray
Yes for such a confusing film anyway it really doesn't help not actually being able to properly hear some of the dialogue, almost doesn't even give you fighting chance to try and understand what's going on

I've removed my previous comment as I've now watched an ending explained video and it all makes sense now :LOL::rofl:
I actually did understand the movie! At least as much as i could for the first viewing hahaha. It's not what i maybe didn't understand that bothered me about the story. More of a general problem where the story went and how it progressed. The whole idea of inversion of course is very original and exciting. I wish it would have went somewhere it didn't in the final product. But that's just my opinion! :angel:

Saw it yesterday in IMAX Digital (ended on midnight, Italy time)
JESUS CHRIST WHAT A MASTERPIECE MOVIE. Everything is so great, the plot makes you sit on the edge of the seat for 2 hours straight! The technical part is amazing, stunning, the directing, the puotography... Video and audio are crazy. The bass part in the mix is so well made, my seat was literally shaking. The mix was really loud but no dialogue issues.
Finished it and loved it, everyone was blown away!

Reactions: willbar84
Really happy you liked it. I cannot wait to see it. Will try to plan a trip to IMAX too.

From the reviews Im reading a lot of people consider it too complex and that it needs multiple viewings to understand it. How was your experience? No spoilers of course :D

sorry for the late reply just came across your reply now. Thanks mate, oh your going to love it in the larger aspect ratio of IMAX it’s like it begs for it with its amazing set pieces and cinematography.

For a seasoned Nolan fan like yourself I can assure you, your going to be on the edge of your seat soaking in every frame of it damn it’s so good. Honestly it’s not really that complex or confusing for that matter, I mentioned earlier that I really struggled to find the right moment to have a quick toilet break as every piece of dialogue and visual is important to the story that Nolan is telling. Pay attention and you will be rewarded in more ways then one, Nolan isn’t exactly the one to spoon feed you so maybe it’s in reference to that not sure mate as this is a multi layered film and such a delight to watch it unravel. The themes and dynamics it explores is where the creme de la creme is at and this is where multi viewings would be recommended just to indulge into it further not because it’s complex but cause it’s so interesting and something like no other which is really cool to see in motion and also how Nolan takes these elements and uses it in the setup and payoff. It really is a masterclass of how to make a masterpiece of a film. Ive tried my best to be spoiler free, it’s hard to explain but your in for a real treat, enjoy :joy::thumbs:

• Friendly
Reactions: CollectorEmtee
Just finished seeing it in IMAX. Definately needs a second viewing. Top notch acting all around, especially Kenneth Branagh

My brother and I both thought the voice audio level was a little low, did anyone else have this issue? Especially when people were talking with masks on (IMAX showing). Was focused so much on understanding the movie/flow of times that I didnt get to enjoy it fully
I also felt like Nolan went a little too far with the two time lines and what we saw, for me the story added too many scenes between the flow of time which added more complication (Kat getting shot and them saving her) for example

20200903_095428.jpg

best chirashi ever :thumbs:

Just back from my 2nd viewing of this, enjoyed it a lot more this second time although I'll still need a 3rd go to fully get everything that's going on in the final act

I also went to a different cinema for this showing and pleased to report none of the same audio issues this time around

Reactions: vexred
Yesterday was my 5th screening :D Unfortunately none of them were in IMAX because its currently not safe in the area where our only IMAX is. Still hoping to see it there at some point.

With each screening I was able to discover something new and piece some more puzzles together. I think it wont top Inception for me, but its pretty close. We dont get films like this anymore. My brain is still on fire :D

SO I saw this in IMAX the other day. (Felt very safe, went at a time when there was barely anyone in there. Had the whole row to myself.)

First off. I loved it.
Its visually amazing and I really dug it. Its a really complex film that I feel like I would get more out of every time you watch it...

That said. I have a few minor issues.

1. Its a little TOO complex. I don't need my hand held but at some point it hurts the film when you don't know whats going on (which connects to my #2).

2. A lot of the dialogue I couldn't understand. Some you could, some you couldn't. (A bit of the BANE effect in certain scenes). And I'm sure if it had been clearer I might have understood more of what was going on.
I've never had audio problems with my IMAX theater... But I guess a bunch of people are having similar issues. I'm actually looking forward to watching this at home and putting on subtitles HAHA

Watched it yesterday. This movie is so complicated it left me scratching my head. (in a good way)

I couldn't help but think about "Inception" and "Edge of Tomorrow" somehow... :LOL:

Reactions: GeoRattray
So, Cineworld are temporarily closing theatre's across the UK from Friday 9th. Rather than see Tenet again, I've taken the opportunity to go see Akira (re-issue) which comes out tomorrow for previews....

Tenet box office (3 weeks total)
China $65M
US $45M

However, Tenet underperformed spectacularly in the U.S., even adjusting to other pandemic releases. Tenet failed to match Mulan's domestic box office of $60.9 million, although Mulan didn't open in theaters, but was available on demand. Despite its domestic failures, Tenet was much more successful in China, nearly overtaking the Chinese war movie The Eight Hundred and nearly matching Inception's $68 million Chinese box office only three weeks into its release (via Forbes.) Tenet's objective success in China, compared to its relative failure in the United States, is a warning sign for American movie theaters hoping to reopen.
- screenrant.com

I wonder, will Tenet be Nolan's last big-budget movie?
Honestly, I wouldn't mind Nolan going back to make low-budget indie films like Memento.