Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release date: December 4, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £24.99

11515044-1284500093120690.jpg

11515044-1094500093176202.jpg11515044-1454500093245247.jpg

Extras:
  • NEW – T2: Reprogramming The Terminator documentary (including exclusive interviews with Arnold Schwarzenegger, James Cameron, Edward Furlong and many more)
  • 2 feature Commentaries; 23 members of Cast & Crew (1993)/ director James Cameron & co-author William Wisher
  • The making of T2 –1993
  • Seamless Branching of the Theatrical cut, Director’s Cut and Special extended edition
  • 2 Deleted Scenes with audio commentary
  • Trailers – NEW T2:3D trailer (2017) T2 theatrical trailer ‘This time there are two’/ ‘Same make new mission’/ Building the perfect Arnold

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never owned a laserdisc. But is it possible that grain is just a byproduct of that format?

I too never had a problem with the Predator blu ray.

Comments around the boards had me scared stiff of buying it. It's one of my favourite films of all time so I did indeed purchase it expecting this mess of a film on my screen. But it honestly doesn't bother me......

• Thanks
Reactions: blu-steel
I've never owned a laserdisc. But is it possible that grain is just a byproduct of that format?

I too never had a problem with the Predator blu ray.

Comments around the boards had me scared stiff of buying it. It's one of my favourite films of all time so I did indeed purchase it expecting this mess of a film on my screen. But it honestly doesn't bother me......
Grain is a product of shooting on film. It is also essential. Many digitally shot movies add grain in post production, because grain gives the eye a sense of fine detail and perceived depth. Smoothness makes the image flat and takes away shadow and detail (or perceived detail).
It sounds antithetical- but for a better image, you want a modicum of grain and noise.

Grain is a product of shooting on film. It is also essential. Many digitally shot movies add grain in post production, because grain gives the eye a sense of fine detail and perceived depth. Smoothness makes the image flat and takes away shadow and detail (or perceived detail).
It sounds antithetical- but for a better image, you want a modicum of grain and noise.

Agreed, But Transformers Age of Extinction as far as i know was shot fully digital and it looks stunning on bluray.

Agreed, But Transformers Age of Extinction as far as i know was shot fully digital and it looks stunning on bluray.
Sure. But they apply an algorithm in post to digitally shot movies to make it look like film (“film look process”) by adjusting the gamma, adding grain, etc.
Raw digital looks like a camcorded home video.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Actarus and yy0925
...and also adjusted in post to make it look like film. 95% of digitally shot films are adjusted to look like film (Michael Mann is an outlier - he doesn’t mind the “video look”).
I need to check it again close to see if I can spot grain. From where I am sitting it was not visible. Not obviously visible like MoS, BvS and Wonder Woman.
That was too much.
In the UHD version of T2 I didn’t see it either.

I need to check it again close to see if I can spot grain. From where I am sitting it was not visible. Not obviously visible like MoS, BvS and Wonder Woman.
That was too much.
In the UHD version of T2 I didn’t see it either.
If it didn’t have any grain- everybody would look like wax figures, and the foreground and background would have less differentiation. Even digital cameras produce “electronic” noise (grain) within the image.
I think you are confusing the presence of fine grain/heavy grain vs. no grain.

Reactions: Actarus
If it didn’t have any grain- everybody would look like wax figures, and the foreground and background would have less differentiation. Even digital cameras produce “electronic” noise (grain) within the image.
I think you are confusing the presence of fine grain/heavy grain vs. no grain.
Exactly...fine grain is fine. It’s hardly noticable, but this was not the case with MoS, BvS and Wonder Woman. I found it too distracting at some points.

Exactly...fine grain is fine. It’s hardly noticable, but this was not the case with MoS, BvS and Wonder Woman. I found it too distracting at some points.
That would because of two factors - the person mastering the print, and the choice of film stock.
(Mistakes can be made in mastering and color grading that highlight grain too much. And the opposite is true too - erasing so much grain that everyone becomes waxy and unreal). This is subjective to the whims of the filmmker. But it is a fallacy that Film = grain and Digital = no grain. All digital films add grain and filmlook in post (to the already present digital noise/grain). On Avid editors they can choose (from a drop down menu) the kind of film stock they want to emulate.
Whether film or digital, the post process is integral to how much grain is in the finished print.
Also - maybe your sharpness setting on your TV is too high!;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Actarus
You cant tell me that the detail difference in Sarah Connners face is bad. It is a huge increase in detail and looks great.
I can and I will: it's bad and looks terrible. What you think is a huge increase in detail is just a huge increase in artificial sharpening.
And look at that huge increase in detail on the wind... oh never mind.

Heck lots of films have out of focus scenes and they try their best to do what they can with it.
No director of photography worth their salt will leave an unintentional out-of-focus scene in a movie. That's what focus pullers are for and if they can't do their job, they won't have one for long.
But I'm thinking you're just confusing "not over-sharpened" with "out of focus".

Of course the old Blu-Ray wasn't great, which just makes this even more of a lost opportunity. It's sad, really.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
  • Thanks
Reactions: blu-steel
Looking at the screencaps this morning, it's plainly evident that all they have done with the Blu-ray version is use the 3D master and removed the second eye from the disc. How the 4K version looks remains to be seen. It doesn't bother much now anyway these days because life to too short to worry about things like this. I just want to see T2 in 3D.

However, James Cameron has continues his digital tinkering habit (Loads was corrected with Titanic for it's Blu-ray release and Aliens had some corrections made as well) and there was a list of changes that have been made.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=642906

most upsetting of all is the T-1000's mimetic polyalloy weiner has been digitally erased from the film!!!

Looking at the screencaps this morning, it's plainly evident that all they have done with the Blu-ray version is use the 3D master and removed the second eye from the disc. How the 4K version looks remains to be seen. It doesn't bother much now anyway these days because life to too short to worry about things like this. I just want to see T2 in 3D.

However, James Cameron has continues his digital tinkering habit (Loads was corrected with Titanic for it's Blu-ray release and Aliens had some corrections made as well) and there was a list of changes that have been made.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=642906

most upsetting of all is the T-1000's mimetic polyalloy weiner has been digitally erased from the film!!!
You can already see the German UHD version. I did. Besides the few obvious waxy scenes it’s really looking great. The colors and details are amazing.
The best version so far.
And yes, it’s not perfect. But as I mentioned before, there are also UHD movies much worse (PQ wise).