The Batman - In theaters March 04, 2022

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
4.67 star(s) Rating: 4.67/5 6 Votes
Title: The Batman

Genre: Action, Drama, Crime

Director: Matt Reeves

Cast: Robert Pattinson (Bruce Wayne / Batman); Andy Serkis (Alfred Pennyworth); Zoë Kravitz (Selina Kyle / Catwoman); Matthew McConaughey (Harvey Dent / Two-Face); Paul Dano (Edward Nashton / The Riddler); Colin Farrell (Oswald Cobblepot / The Penguin); Jeffrey Wright (Commissioner Gordon); John Turturro (Carmine Falcone)

Release: 2022-03-04

Plot: Batman's first stand-alone appearance in the DC Extended Universe.

Saw it this afternoon. It was quite enjoyable and didn't feel like 3 hours at all.

It didn't feel like a stand alone film though for some reason, more like a first act of something bigger. I was hoping to see a film that was a more well rounded story with a clear ending. This feels like the introduction to a new cinematic universe.

However: At the moment when catwoman says that they needed to rid the city of all the "corrupt white men" my eyes rolled back into my head. The film would have been so much better without the whole race/woke politic angle.
It wasn't a bad film, but this aspect was so annoying and story wise completely unnecessary, everyone I watched it with sighed when that dialog moment came up because it was obviously shoehorned in.
Up until then I absolutely loved the film, it reminded me a lot of Watchmen in terms of pacing and mood, very very nice.

Casting-wise there are also pretty obvious choices that are made here, I asked around and everyone else noticed this as well: White men are spectrum dodgy to corrupt/criminal thugs that are like a plague to the city - and black people: righteous and fighting for making the world better, and if not they're institutionalized by other thugs...who are in this case all white. This is true in pretty much every case here, which is why it's so noticable. Oh well... I hope that films can go back to just being films that include actors of all creeds and races etc. and it just be normal film without modern politic stuff forced into it.

Other than that I loved the mood of the film and I'm a big fan of the Batmobile. The actors are all doing a great job, Pattinson is f'in awesome. I'm very happy to say that I was rooting for him from day one of the announcement, he's awesome in this role, as is everyone else.

Saw it yesterday on Fan Night opening.
Was kinda long, but didn't feel too much. They could have easily cut 30 mins without any problem.

Story wise, the detective thing was awesome. Finally a Batman that is The World's Best Detective. But, 3rd act was a big boom-boom-pow-pow that was pretty much the same as TDKR.

Casting:
just amazing. Pattinson was boring but as *** but that's what I was expecting from him, so no surprise. Don't get me wrong, he did a great job with few bit this and there, but still, the same borefest that I felt when watching him in Twilights. Kravitz was mesmerizing. Wright/Farrel were perfect in their role. Turturro truly surprised me. Dano, couldn't careless. Serkis, what was the point? Kinda imitated word-for-word Sir Michael Caine, maybe he'll get a better place in the next one.

Bring it for #2. We all know they'll do a 2nd.
I just hope that Pattinson will bring something more for the role in the follow-up and that they'll bring a real Batmobile, not just a boosted muscle car (Camaro?).

Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
Just got out, going to take me a bit of time to process exactly what I've just watched and how I'd rank it but quick thoughts

Good
An actual detective Batman. The film needed a fresh take on the character and it delivered.
Arguably the most brutal Batman to date, still wish we'd of seen an Affleck solo film to see how brutal his Batman might have been in a solo film
Kravitz is just :drool::drool::drool:

Indifferent
Too long, to the point where it felt like it was dragging at the end. They probably could have lost the final act and about 20 minutes during the film and got it down to much more manageable 2 hours (not that I have a problem with 3 hour films but only if they fly by)
Hardly any Bruce Wayne. Not sure if that was a good thing or bad thing though

Very good film though

Watched it last night. Loved that they finally tapped into the detective side of Batman.
For the most part this really felt more like Seven or Zodiac then a typical Batman film.

I have a couple things that didn't work for me, But I'm not going to voice them yet, Need to watch it again and see if I feel the same after a second watch.
But overall its a really great movie. And in the top tier of the Batman filmography.

Slight spoiler if you haven't seen the film, but this is too cool not to share... This URL actually exists:

Finally finished watching this two part 90-minute each miniseries.
It seems with every iteration, Batman has to become more 'serious'...
why so serious joker GIF

...and 'seriousness' here means m o v i n g . . . r e a l l y . . . s l o w l y, and talking very quietly.
It gets funny in some scenes, and once, after Batman injected himself with some painkillers and adrenaline, was beating a guy repeatedly, and was stopped, he immediately went into s l o w m o d e.
Other moments are looking like he's always posing for a poster, or starring in a presidential election nominee TV spot, like all smeared thoroughly with dirt, bringing a teenager to two brave, and also posing, soldiers, and other stuff like that. But only giving a hand to former mayor's son, and newly elected one, the rest of the plebs can be helped by useless cops, not a job for the trust fund rich boy! In all of that it's simultaneously serious, and ridiculous, heroic, and superficial, I guess kind of like the real world. So, success, yay!
I also would have liked to see more people get killed, otherwise all that build up, and nothing much. There should've been a massacre. But I guess then Batman couldn't have acted like Ave Deva Maria the savior, trying his Terminator 2 hardest not to kill any of the fanatics.
Stole a scene from Equilibrium as well.
Overall it doesn't feel like a Batman movie, more like True Detective, or one of those serial killer movies, like Kiss the Girls or Resurrection. It's not bad, just very different.