The Batman - In theaters March 04, 2022

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
4.67 star(s) Rating: 4.67/5 6 Votes
Title: The Batman

Genre: Action, Drama, Crime

Director: Matt Reeves

Cast: Robert Pattinson (Bruce Wayne / Batman); Andy Serkis (Alfred Pennyworth); Zoë Kravitz (Selina Kyle / Catwoman); Matthew McConaughey (Harvey Dent / Two-Face); Paul Dano (Edward Nashton / The Riddler); Colin Farrell (Oswald Cobblepot / The Penguin); Jeffrey Wright (Commissioner Gordon); John Turturro (Carmine Falcone)

Release: 2022-03-04

Plot: Batman's first stand-alone appearance in the DC Extended Universe.

Ben Affleck has stepped down as director. From ComingSoon:

Ben Affleck has stepped down as the director of The Batman, reports Variety. Affleck will of course still star, and he will remain a producer on the solo film.

“There are certain characters who hold a special place in the hearts of millions,” Affleck said in a statement. “Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require. Together with the studio, I have decided to find a partner in a director who will collaborate with me on this massive film. I am still in this, and we are making it, but we are currently looking for a director. I remain extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world.”

Warner Bros. Pictures added: “Warner Bros. fully supports Ben Affleck’s decision and remains committed to working with him to bring a standalone Batman picture to life.”

The studio and Affleck will now begin searching for a new director. Variety says there is a shortlist and they are hearing that War for the Planet of the Apes director Matt Reeves is among those on the list.

Affleck will face off against Joe Manganiello, who will play Slade Wilson, aka Deathstroke, in the film. Additional appearances by Jeremy Irons as Alfred and J.K. Simmons as Commissioner Gordon are expected to happen as well.

An official release date for The Batman, written by Affleck and Geoff Johns, hasn’t been set. Affleck will next appear as Batman in Justice League, opening in theaters on November 17.

@tridon Probably for the best.
I'm sure he could make an awesome Batman film... but doing double duty with the timeline that they want is going to be tough.

Matt Reeves would be AMAZING. Wonder who else is on that list?

@kaw I would've loved an Affleck-directed Batman, but I'm sure his vision was different from what the studio wanted. Matt Reeves would be a good choice, as would Gareth Edwards or Joseph Kosinski. Whatever happened to the guy who made Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow? I always thought he could make a great DC film.

Hmm not too surprising really... after all the "is he or isn't he?" rumours lately, I kind of expected him to drop out of directing/writing (or both).

****! Just see the news

Gutted as I wanted a batfleck directed batman movie but it makes sense

Was hoping affleck would make this violent like his Scenes in BvS and Hopefully whoever they pick still delivers

It's Official!
Variety reports that Matt Reeves, the helmer behind Cloverfield, Let Me In, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes & the upcoming War for the Planet of the Apes, will be The Batman director!

For me, I LOVE this choice, He is a brilliant director and will make one hell of a Batman movie! Can't wait!
Yep, brilliant choice! Glad they're sticking with Affleck's script too. :D

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo and kaw
It's Official!
Variety reports that Matt Reeves, the helmer behind Cloverfield, Let Me In, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes & the upcoming War for the Planet of the Apes, will be The Batman director!

For me, I LOVE this choice, He is a brilliant director and will make one hell of a Batman movie! Can't wait!
AWESOME! :woot: I love it! :batman: :thumbs: :notworthy:

batlike!.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
Unconfirmed report about ben Affleck not wanting to be Batman anymore :(

Ben Affleck stepped down as director of Warner Bros.'s The Batman, and now a report from Collider indicates that the actor/writer/director is wanting to leave DC films entirely - exiting as Batman. Citing three sources "connected to what's going on at Warner Bros.," Collider Movie Talkshowrunner/host John Campea stated that Affleck is in talks with the studio to quit the project.

"Ben Affleck, make no mistake, he does want out. He doesn't want to be Batman anymore," said Campea. "I've been told, Ben Affleck is talking with Warner Bros. in an attempt to get out of being Batman. And if they do not let him out of being Batman, the standalone Batman film that ultimately happens will be the last time we see Ben Affleck as Batman."

Campea says that while he has a poor track record with industry rumors such as this, he reiterated that he spoke with three independent sources for this information.

Affleck has already completed filming on Justice League, which is due out November 17.

Via Newsrama