The Ebay Seller/Policies Discussion Thread

Apr 26, 2012
UK,south yorkshire
Q) What is the purpose of this thread?
A) To discuss Ebay policies/issues

Q) Where can i find the Ebay Presale Policy?
A) Click HERE

Q) Can a HDN Trade mod help me with an Ebay sale/trade issue? Also why is there no 'ebay bad traders' list?
A) Simply put, no. To find out why, ensure you read the following spoiler:
please use this thread as a RESOURCE to ask your fellow members about problems you've had with a reseller or questions about e-bay.

do NOT use this thread to attack or refute other members. if you an e-bay dispute with a member here, perhaps it's best to approach a trading mod before posting? we don't police e-bay, but maybe we can give you a tip or two.

if members ignore these suggestions, then the thread might be locked for a couple of weeks.

thank you.

hey folks,

as a reminder what myself (and other mods) have continued to mention via private message, e-mail and other areas. we do NOT police other trading marketplaces like ebay, youtube, amazon and the rest.

there is ONLY a certain amount of information at our disposal and we do not have the resources in these other locations as we do on this forum - things that we can look at and evaluate.

having said that, there are trading rules on this forum that have been instituted for your own protection for trading transactions that happen HERE.

this includes the pending / active sales threads, the requirement of feedback posted for any new traders, our support ticketing system, the active investigations held by trading moderators and many other things we do not discuss openly.

we have long held that problems occurring on these other forums and marketplaces should be taken the appropriate authorities on THOSE websites.

many of you are established traders here on this forum and you should know all about the guidelines that are stickied in this section - including having new traders send first, getting tracking from the other party and proof of shipment, and what other precautions can be taken to protect your trading safety.

trading via ebay and their messaging system is against their stated policy and should not occur - and there are reasons why they have created that policy. you don't have protection of paypal or their listing system as a buyer or seller.

having said that, if there is trouble with an ebay seller or buyer, you should go to their website and report it there. if you are not aware of this process, follow the below link for more information.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/report-trading.html

so folks can feel free to chat about a seller or buyer that they are having problems with, but I can tell you right now - there will not be a "witch hunt" by moderators or staff based on one person's account of the problems or trouble they are having - and we limit the action taken for or against members here to transactions that occurred on this forum.

as stated in the thread title of our bad traders list - that list is for FORUM MEMBERS ONLY.

thank you.
Q) Where can i find the HDN Buyer Beware / Bad Traders list?
A) You can find the thread HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
I received a Steelbook today it was bought as Brand new & sealed which it was when it arrived but there are two dents under the slip cover one back one front under the small flap & a corner dent under the shrink wrap.
It was sealed but the shrink wrap was creased if you know what I mean.
Not saying it has been re sealed but maybe bought a while ago.
It was wrapped in cardboard then sent in jiffy.
What can I do if anything ?

ebay user id katzenbounty1

Dear mental-magpie,

hi, thank you very much for your fast payment. before i can ship this steelbook out i need a copy of your passport to check your age. please send the copy to [email protected]
after i have received the copy i will ship your steelbook out.
regards
oliver meyer

Now ive never ever been asked for a copy of my passport before i can have my purchase, ive told them im 41 and to send me my german kick-ass 2 steel as you have to be 18 to have an ebay/paypal account or im leaving neg feedback. Sound a bit dodgy if you ask me.

NO ****ING WAY! Get your $ back asap.. this one sounds like it's going to be a doozie! Oh and leave neg feedback too just for asking for your passport. Sounds like they are trying to steal your Identity.

Last edited:
Reactions: MENTAL MAGPIE
NO ****ING WAY! Get your $ back asap.. this one sounds like it's going to be a doozie! Oh and leave neg feedback too just for asking for your passport. Sounds like they are trying to steal your Identity.

Dear mental-magpie,

Hi again, I just send you an refund for the steelbook. I´m really sorry but I can´t change this. I have to see the copy of the id card before sending it out. These are the rules from ebay germany for movies over 18. I wished it would be easier but this is the correct way to handle it. If other people don´t do it like that it is not correct. I have made really bad experience with this, please understand that i have to handle it like that.
Regards
oliver meyer

well, i got my refund but cant leave neg feedback for 7 days. :( they have over 3600 feedback too. can anyone in germany tell me if any of this is correct?

Just as a heads up - beware of sellers who make the bidding "private listing - bidders' identities protected" as all bidders identities are already hidden, although allowing you to see feedback scores and two letters/numbers.

This policy, and use of by certain sellers, is a possible/probable sign for shill bidding.

All you need are a few buddies to drive that bid up - easily to prove "before" this insane new policy.

Just a heads up for any buyers here who notice sellers with - private listing - bidders' identities protected.

Any posters who sell on ebay with that policy? - I would enjoy understanding the reason "why" they make it this way on their auctions, with many having the same item for sale as well. I guess the "detective" in me bubbles up when i see this. ;)

ebay user id katzenbounty1

Dear mental-magpie,

hi, thank you very much for your fast payment. before i can ship this steelbook out i need a copy of your passport to check your age. please send the copy to [email protected]
after i have received the copy i will ship your steelbook out.
regards
oliver meyer

Now ive never ever been asked for a copy of my passport before i can have my purchase, ive told them im 41 and to send me my german kick-ass 2 steel as you have to be 18 to have an ebay/paypal account or im leaving neg feedback. Sound a bit dodgy if you ask me.

Sorry MAte,that`s correct-if you buy an Rated 18 Movie at Ebay Germany the Seller,and only proffesional Seller can sell Rated 18 Items,has to ask you for an copy of your ID Card or Passport. That`s the Law in Germany:angry:

Sorry MAte,that`s correct-if you buy an Rated 18 Movie at Ebay Germany the Seller,and only proffesional Seller can sell Rated 18 Items,has to ask you for an copy of your ID Card or Passport. That`s the Law in Germany:angry:

Ok thanks, ive sent a couple of messages back and forth. Ive told them i have access to three different passports that are for 18 and over so i could send them a copy of any one of them, so how does that prove that me the buyer is 18+ also you have to be 18 to have an ebay and paypal account anway so everyone should be 18+ on ebay. Ive never come across this before so i was a bit shocked to get the request. Luckily i picked one up from amazon de at cost yesterday so ive saved myself money i suppose as i bought this a couple of days ago and they only just asked me for id today.

Don't you have to be 18 to even buy/sell on ebay?

As soon as you`re 18 you can sell/buy on Ebay.de. But buying Rated 18 Items,you still have to confirm your Age.And you also have to confirm your Age again as soon as the Postman is at your Door.Kind of sick-but that`s the Law

Stupid Rules and Laws here in Germany, i hate this so much

Yeah, this why most private sellers have to sell their FSK 18 items on ebay.co.uk where new cans of worms are opened (steels sometimes can't be found via search, UK bidders don't want to pay actual postage....). Stupid German laws indeed!!

Reactions: smileyx9
Just received a copy of the Prince of Persia steelbook I won on ebay. It was listed as Like New and when I messaged the seller they said no scratches or dents at all. The steel arrived with two noticeable scratches and I'm stuck as what to do; they don't seem like a usual steelbook seller as they have never sold any before and as the packaging was very poor so the damage might seem irrelevant to them and they'll argue the toss. But equally I got it for a low price so should I just make do? Thoughts?

Just received a copy of the Prince of Persia steelbook I won on ebay. It was listed as Like New and when I messaged the seller they said no scratches or dents at all. The steel arrived with two noticeable scratches and I'm stuck as what to do; they don't seem like a usual steelbook seller as they have never sold any before and as the packaging was very poor so the damage might seem irrelevant to them and they'll argue the toss. But equally I got it for a low price so should I just make do? Thoughts?

If the Steelbook was listed open and described 'like new' there shouldn't be no excuses. You also followed that up with an email to which he replied.

Regardless of how much you picked it up its not as described. Therefore I would ask for the following:

1) partial refund - if you can live with scratches.

2) full refund - return the steel recorded and leave neutral feedback.

That's what I would I do... If he doesn't agree open a case.

All the best mate.

Why don't you just contact the seller after xmas and politely tell the seller what you told us. Not everyone is a steelbook seller or have high standards like we do so it's best to have a nice chat at the start and see what they say?

Just contact them lol, simple as that. What you got to lose?

coolkidsonglin

Be careful of this buyer he keeps making offers on my stuff and adding this text

Hello, just wondering if I place the order and pay you, can you please sent it till I come back from holiday then I will give you another address to send it? But I will pay you first

If your ok with if i give you my address next week where I will be staying , I will pay now and give you the address next week. If not thanks I can't buy it

Hello, just wondering if I place the order and pay you, can you please sent it till I come back from holiday then I will give you another address to send it? But I will pay you first

etc etc

He may be genuine but my Spidey sense is tingling.

He had zero feedback now he has 2

coolkidsonglin

Be careful of this buyer he keeps making offers on my stuff and adding this text

etc etc

He may be genuine but my Spidey sense is tingling.

He had zero feedback now he has 2

Lol! This buyer is prolific seems like he's trying it with all sellers. Had the same messages... I just counter offer saying "only will deliver to registered paypal address"