The Lion King (3D + 2D Blu-ray Lenticular SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

HUBMUSWELL

#Metal Hunter
Premium Supporter
Apr 22, 2011
London, UK
Release date: December 23, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi (Live October 15 at 6 PM UK time)
Price: £24.99
Note: The Lion King 3D (Includes 2D Version) - Zavvi Exclusive Lenticular Edition Steelbook (The Disney Collection #32) Blu-ray
Limited Edition 3,000

01.jpg

02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This will still sell well as a lot missed out on the previous steelbook but won't sell out as quick as the previous one
It's easier to sell re releases of popular films than less popular ones

It's nothing new Disney always doing re releases

The numbering is correct in terms of classic numbering
It is the 32nd Disney animated feature film

The Zavvi Disney Collection numbering and actual Disney Classic numbering is not the same thing
Zavvi just have listed the wrong numbering in terms of Zavvi Disney Collection
Zavvi did though stop numbering the Disney collection a while ago so it is an error

Last edited:
Reactions: lgans316
No offence to those who missed the originals but honestly...tough

So let me get this straight you'd want people who've been collecting from the start to have an incomplete collection just because you were too slow to grab the originals when they released. Little selfish...no?

I sound dickish I know, but it's not fair on us who were first in line to support this collection. We jumped on board as quick as we did because we thought we'd have a full set in the end.

I mean do them after we finished our collection first that would be fair enough but not like this...I think deep down you know this aswell.

• Thanks
Reactions: spookz and Bruckle

So let me get this straight you'd want people who've been collecting from the start to have an incomplete collection just because you were too slow to grab the originals when they released. Little selfish...no?

I sound dickish I know, but it's not fair on us who were first in line to support this collection. We jumped on board as quick as we did because we thought we'd have a full set in the end.

I mean do them after we finished our collection first that would be fair enough but not like this...I think deep down you know this aswell.
go n tell that to zavvi! lol

• Thanks
Reactions: sunnyx
Many, like me started a collection recently and didn't even know that The Lion had a previous edition. The re-release is a chance to buy something who was released when we didn't even know that someday would be here, collectioning. So, I don't think myself selfish. I feel myself just lucky and thankful.

• Thanks
Reactions: texansfan26
F this. I just forked over dollars to get the original release last month. Now this. Boooo to you Zavvi.

Many, like me started a collection recently and didn't even know that The Lion had a previous edition. The re-release is a chance to buy something who was released when we didn't even know that someday would be here, collectioning. So, I don't think myself selfish. I feel myself just lucky and thankful.

I am impartial to this release but do you mean to tell us you were collecting steelbooks since 2014 (an assumption based on join date) and you were unaware a Disney collection came out from the UK?

I am impartial to this release but do you mean to tell us you were collecting steelbooks since 2014 (an assumption based on join date) and you were unaware a Disney collection came out from the UK?
At the beggining I started buying just amarays at the local market. Didn't even know Zavvi, Kimchi, etc. But, as the more you live, the more you learn I heard about steelbooks and started collectioning them.
In my country just recently there were some steelbooks like the Star Wars series, one ofthe Fast Furious and now the Harry Potter series. When I finnaly discovered about Zavvi the Lion King was already history. Not to mention that Zavvi does not dispatch to my country. I have to use Shipito to buy something from them.
But the point here is, everyday more and more people are joining HIDEF and beggining their collections. So it is just fair to be happy to have the opportunity of buying something that is again available on the market just as V for Vendetta for example. And more important than all this, and don't get me wrong, if they sell it is because they knowvhere is a market for their products and if me or someone else pay for it with our money, we don't have to give explanations on why we're happy. I think EVERYBODY deserves the same opportunity buying any new releases and be happy with it. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrH and tono06
This puts me in a real quandary?
I have been collecting and have all of the Zavvi disney classic steels.
I also have a complete collection of the UK slipcovers
The target digibooks thanks to HDN groupbuys
The diamond editions which is a mix of UK and US
The UK 3D versions all with slips except Beauty and the beast which is the US version with the slip

For the lion king also the korean wood edition and the HMV wooden box with all 3 films

so i have the lion king 5 times allready!!!

I really wish that Zavvi would catch up with the missing steels such as Lilo and Stitch amongst others.

the big sleeve editions look good to me also

however this release i do not know.

would like to know what else is on the horizon

i really wish that Zavvi would do digibooks rather than another steel

however good luck to the people whom missed the first release

Yep you sound dickish. It's also not fair on those who don't own the original (maybe they couldn't afford it at the time or they simply only started collected recently) and so they will be grateful to own a steelbook version of the film they enjoy. No one is forcing you to buy this new one. I get that collectors want to own them all and therefore it seems greedy on behalf of Zavvi. However I'm all for choice and re-releases. It's your own OCD wanting to own them all so you can see 1-32 lined up on your shelf.

Why should other people not be able to own this great film in a steelbook cover just because you own one already?

I own the original - I only own a few of these Disney releases - the films that I love, so hey maybe I don't see your point of view. But I certainly think it's dickish what you said - and in fact YOU are the selfish one not wanting others to be able to own a steelbook of a film they love.

F this. I just forked over dollars to get the original release last month. Now this. Boooo to you Zavvi.
Same here (Euro's ;) ), bought about 15 original Zavvi Disney steels in the last months, but I don't really mind. The original release of at least The Lion King seems to be much nicer anyway. Really don't like the artwork of this new release.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Bruckle
Whenever a re-release comes where the original is a great steelbook, the same debates and arguments crop up (unless the original was pile of pants). So assuming the original steelbook is awesome:

Those that MISSED out on the original release will always SUPPORT a re-release.

Those that DID NOT miss out on the re-release will always go AGAINST a re-release.

Such an interesting Irony we have here.

So why is that?

Quite simply those that missed out don't wanna pay loads of money on the original. Simple.

Those that have the original have several factors against a re-release:
A - They just spent loads of money for the original then a new release comes.
B - Fear the value will drop, and yes there are collectors that collect hoping it does gain in value so we can disregard 'I just collect for myself to open etc etc'
C - Having to many re-releases ruins the ethics of 'collecting' and what is deemed as a collectible item if they just keep re-releasing them anyway.
D - Most wouldn't care for this reason. But the third party business sellers that have dozen hiding in the loft will now have to decide whether or not to get rid of them.

So why don't we have it the other way round?

Those that MISSED out on the original are AGAINST the re-release?
Those that DID NOT miss out will SUPPORT the re-release?

It will never be like that because of the factors above. What I say is Generally speaking.

Last edited:
@sunnyx I'm against a re-release because I would like to see more Disney movies in the collection. I totally get the "haves" not wanting it and the "have nots" wanting it. But there are so many other great Disney movies out there that are just waiting to be steelbookified.

Also, I already had the Taiwan release (which smokes the others) before Zavvi released #26, and I still got that. So I don't feel like triple dipping.