The Lion King (3D + 2D Blu-ray Lenticular SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

HUBMUSWELL

#Metal Hunter
Premium Supporter
Apr 22, 2011
London, UK
Release date: December 23, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi (Live October 15 at 6 PM UK time)
Price: £24.99
Note: The Lion King 3D (Includes 2D Version) - Zavvi Exclusive Lenticular Edition Steelbook (The Disney Collection #32) Blu-ray
Limited Edition 3,000

01.jpg

02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@sunnyx I'm against a re-release because I would like to see more Disney movies in the collection. I totally get the "haves" not wanting it and the "have nots" wanting it. But there are so many other great Disney movies out there that are just waiting to be steelbookified.

I think your argument is more focused on specific additional releases which is a little different. Successful movies such as Lion King, Beauty Beast, Aladdin, and all the big budget successful pixel movies are all going to get another release because of the money Disney can easily make from it. It's an easy cash cow.

Reactions: lgans316
I think your argument is more focused on specific additional releases which is a little different. Successful movies such as Lion King, Beauty Beast, Aladdin, and all the big budget successful pixel movies are all going to get another release because of the money Disney can easily make from it. It's an easy cash cow.
Yeah, and I get that (which is why I have any Disney steelbooks at all). I dunno, maybe I wouldn't care as much if the #26 one was only 2D and this one included 3D (both are 3D), but to have the first addition to the Disney Collection in 8 months be a re-release just seems kind of lazy. Maybe if they announce like 5 new ones AND a re-release it wouldn't seem like milking the easy cash cow.

I was almost surprised, but hardly a bold move for Disney/Zavvi. Aren't they making enough $$$ through their new slipcover/Vinyl range?

How about a 'Rescuers Down Under' lenti steel?

@sunnyx I'm against a re-release because I would like to see more Disney movies in the collection. I totally get the "haves" not wanting it and the "have nots" wanting it. But there are so many other great Disney movies out there that are just waiting to be steelbookified.
I would assume instead that these are totally unrelated issues--that is, the reason there aren't more new movies in the series is not because there's a re-release of a movie that was already in the series. If this re-release was exactly the same steelbook, then there might be more justification for disappointment, since people were assured that they were buying a limited edition. But it's a different thing. Disney can do it because they own the movie, and they felt like releasing a different steelbook for it. I doubt Zavvi went begging to Disney, pleading for the privilege of selling a re-release; Disney probably offered them the exclusive if they wanted it, and Zavvi said, "Sure." Why wouldn't they? How are they the bad guy, if there even is a bad guy here? It's just stuff. Buy it or don't.

As for the movies that haven't been released yet--maybe there aren't 1,000 people in the world who would ever buy a Black Cauldron steelbook. And when you decided to start buying a Disney steelbook series, there were no promises that there would ever be a steelbook for every movie. It wasn't a subscription, it was just a thing you bought each time a new one was released.

As for the movies that haven't been released yet--maybe there aren't 1,000 people in the world who would ever buy a Black Cauldron steelbook.

Oh I totally agree on this, and say it before. There has be a safe investment on their return. You don't want to be releasing a steel that takes ages to sell out after price reductions. You want it sold OOS on the spot, nice and easy, for both the retailer and the distributor. Anything more cost time and money. There are loads of steels I like to see on steelbooks, that will most probably never happen because it doesn't attract enough interest.

Lion King does have a huge fan base, a safe risk to release and some easy profits, so a re-release was inevitable.

I expect Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin to follow....

Reactions: lgans316
3D, Lenti magnet, matching 1/4 slip cover = £25. just like all the marvel wave. Pretty standard considering release date is £20.99.