The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (4K Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

Oct 18, 2018
Release date: December 1, 2020
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $119.99
Note: Includes Theatrical and Extended cuts
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

350F345E-5107-480E-B3BB-658B65338DEB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we have to admit that that news release is nearly impossible to understand with any certainty. The gist of it seems to be that there will be a lot of LOTR releases in the near future, so no need to panic if you miss out on one here and there. (Which is kind of an odd thing for a company to promise, really. They want people to skip this next release because a better one is coming—maybe—next year?)

Reactions: DMD4k
Not steel relevant, but 4k disc relevant.. just an fyi, you can fairly clearly see a dolby vision logo on these discs in the amazon stock shot. Its not atmos, because i can make out a clear "N" at the end of the second line of text.

So if that's correct, these are DV discs, and as is typical with WB (who don't put atmos logos on their discs anyway) will also come with atmos. Colour me excited and in for the standard 4k set (these steels are :BS:), to be replaced by an eventual hdzeta gold set :drool:

71VBUMpynzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Helpful Post
Reactions: a_o
Release date: December 1, 2020
Purchase links: 4K + BD - 4K
Price: $149.99 (4K + BD) - $119.99 (4K)
Note: Includes Theatrical and Extended cuts
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21 (4k UHD only)

View attachment 487863

@apsmith21

Reading elsewhere, Best Buy may have made an error. There doesn't seem to be a SteelBook set that includes 4K and Blu-ray discs. Just 4K discs. That link in the OP now goes to a Collector's Set (not SteelBooks) and doesn't include Blu-ray discs either.

These sets look great for collectors!

For those upset about this release not having special features, I did see on The Digital Bits that Warner has given early notice of a comprehensive Middle Earth set, including remastered blu-ray discs, all legacy features, and even newly produced special features. Release of this set is scheduled for mid 2021.

Reactions: MM3
These sets look great for collectors!

For those upset about this release not having special features, I did see on The Digital Bits that Warner has given early notice of a comprehensive Middle Earth set, including remastered blu-ray discs, all legacy features, and even newly produced special features. Release of this set is scheduled for mid 2021.
That'll be the one to get then! That'll also probably have an rrp of around $400 if it's anything like the last middle earth ultimate set :wow:

Ultimate set most likely won’t be Steelbooks though, so if you’re itching to collect and want to see the new masters six or more months faster, these are a good in-between.

Reactions: Leafs17
I'm in the minority and quite like them - I can definitely understand peoples frustrations with it though. Fellowship is definitely the best. I do wonder if this set will come to Australia though...:emb:

The steelbook set is listed as sold out now.

Not necessarily. It's showing sold out for anybody in the U.S. from the midwest to the west coast.
Anybody from the east coast has been ordering it without any problems.

People on another site have been advised to change their VPN to an east coat location. When done they have been able to successfully order this set.

I don't know the reasons but this is what has been working.

I like the art on Fellowship and Return. TTT is just OK. I’m undecided. I’d much rather have a copy with all the extras, even though I’m sue I’ll only watch them once, and iVegas already got the old extras, which I assume will still be SD, so only new extras will matter to me.

Not necessarily. It's showing sold out for anybody in the U.S. from the midwest to the west coast.

People on another site have been advised to change their VPN to an east coat location. When done they have been able to successfully order this set.

I tried both Central and east coast...no go. I don’t think it matters, because BBY almost always has copies in the stores the day Of release (in the USA...canada is another story).

That's weird. I cancelled my order anyway. I'm waiting for the Middle Earth 4K collection with bonus features and the HDzeta editions.

Here are a bunch of comments from another site:

" Yeah I only thunk to try a VPN because it seemed like east coast posters were saying it was in stock. So I guess keep trying the VPN to see if it shows back in stock."

" This was just a head-scratcher. I'm in California and the BB site says it's sold out. Home computer doesn't allow to change VPN location, but work computer (thank god for remote working) did. Changed to Miami and was able to not only secure an order with no problem, but had the option for in-store pickup which I chose."

"SO I downloaded a free vpn from the Apple store and used the Best Buy app on my phone.
Good lookin’ out - this worked for me on my iPhone just now."

" Decided not to wait and tried the VPN trick and it worked. Free VPN in Apple store on iPhone for those interested. Checked recent orders to conform SKU’s matched out of fear it might default to the other set and they do."

" Just did the VPN trick and ordered for local store pickup. Thanks for the tip!"

Those are all from the last half hour even.

Not steel relevant, but 4k disc relevant.. just an fyi, you can fairly clearly see a dolby vision logo on these discs in the amazon stock shot. Its not atmos, because i can make out a clear "N" at the end of the second line of text.

So if that's correct, these are DV discs, and as is typical with WB (who don't put atmos logos on their discs anyway) will also come with atmos. Colour me excited and in for the standard 4k set (these steels are :BS:), to be replaced by an eventual hdzeta gold set :drool:

View attachment 487951
It absolutely says Dolby Vision.

I will be visiting New Zeland next year. Would be fun to take these along and watch in the evenings at the hotel.
Are there any reports of an SE version, like Martin Freeman being added to FOTR?

@apsmith21

Reading elsewhere, Best Buy may have made an error. There doesn't seem to be a SteelBook set that includes 4K and Blu-ray discs. Just 4K discs. That link in the OP now goes to a Collector's Set (not SteelBooks) and doesn't include Blu-ray discs either.

Yeah, I had said to folks I thought it would just be 4k and that's what the GB is for.

Listing is back up for those interested

I just got official press release.

Interestingly enough they tout other releases to happen next year. I'm kinda guessing those wont be steel tho.

Both Trilogies feature the theatrical and extended versions of the six Middle-earth films in
4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR)

Six-film “Middle-earth” Ultimate Collectors’ Edition with new Bonus Content
to be released in 4K UHD in Summer 2021

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Remastered Blu-ray™
to be released in 4K UHD in fourth Quarter 2021 to celebrate 20th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

The 4K remastering process was overseen by Peter Jackson.

In addition, it was also announced that a 4K UHD “Middle-earth” Ultimate Collectors’ Edition featuring the theatrical and extended versions of all six films, along with new bonus content, previously released Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy, and remastered Blu-ray discs of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will be released in the summer of 2021. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy featuring remastered Blu-ray discs of the theatrical and extended versions of the 3 films will also be released in the fourth quarter 2021, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will feature Dolby VisionTM HDR that dramatically expands the color palette and contrast range and uses dynamic metadata to automatically optimize the picture for every screen, frame by frame. The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will also feature a Dolby Atmos® soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Remastered Blu-ray™ to be released in 4K UHD in fourth Quarter 2021 to celebrate 20th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Wait, so the release in Q4 next year is 1080p Blu or 4K? And if 4K, how is that different to the one we’re getting this December? So confusing :rofl:

Reactions: Steely-Booked