The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (4K Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

Oct 18, 2018
Release date: December 1, 2020
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $119.99
Note: Includes Theatrical and Extended cuts
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

350F345E-5107-480E-B3BB-658B65338DEB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
In short, Middle Earth 4K box set will include; the same 4K release available now, some Blu-Ray coasters, not all previous extras, a new extra, some tat.
The middle earth ultimate box set will have both Lord of the rings and hobbit films with Theatrical and Extended cuts on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray

The hobbit Blu-ray discs will be same as previous so no loss of extras for those films

It's Lord of the rings that is getting new extras and will also be using some of the previous extras

To me the 4K steelbook box sets not having Blu-ray versions of the films and no extras means the 4K Middle Earth Ultimate Box set is a better option and be nicer looking overall

Blu-ray ray discs with films and extras are not coasters and that applies to all Blu-ray releases

There is a LG 65 inch 4K TV in my home and Panasonic Plasma TV and a Sony 1080 Projector

My Panasonic 1080p Plasma 3D TV the picture quality is excellent especially for films

Some homes have multiple TV's so Blu-ray discs included with 4K UHD releases the Blu-ray discs are not coasters but actually used a lot in homes

Some homes have multiple TV's so Blu-ray discs are not coasters
Could be useful if you don’t have 4K playback or already have a Blu-ray copy of the movies (I would think most fans do). The new LOTR Blu-ray will of course get a quality boost, but if you are concerned about quality wouldn’t you watch the 4K version anyway if you can?

I don’t mind the inclusion of Blu-ray extras discs, but I wish they would stop including Blu-ray feature discs in 4K editions. Often leads to disc stacking and for me is just a waste of resources.

Could be useful if you don’t have 4K playback or already have a Blu-ray copy of the movies (I would think most fans do). The new LOTR Blu-ray will of course get a quality boost, but if you are concerned about quality wouldn’t you watch the 4K version anyway if you can?

I don’t mind the inclusion of Blu-ray extras discs, but I wish they would stop including Blu-ray feature discs in 4K editions. Often leads to disc stacking and for me is just a waste of resources.
I use both 4K and Blu-ray
My Panasonic plasma has amazing picture quality

4K TV is better when it's daylight viewing but my Plasma TV in total darkness viewing can often look better

I often purchase releases just for new extras when they are included
So a release that Includes new extras booklets and other items I will purchase over a bare bones release always

I expect the 4K Middle Earth Ultimate edition packaging and artwork might be better but that won't be known for sure until we see release details.

My Panasonic plasma has amazing picture quality :thumbs:

I hear you! My only TV is a Panasonic plasma with anti-glare from 2007 and I still love it.
I recently got a 30 day free trial Amazon Prime membership on Prime Day for free shipping which I usually cancel after 30 days but I decided to keep it this time after becoming aware of the movies and TV shows that are available for free.

I thought about finally upgrading to a 4K Smart TV after seeing all of these amazing Black Friday prices but I decided just to buy an Amazon Fire Stick for my plasma TV instead.

Maybe next year :LOL:

My Panasonic plasma has amazing picture quality

4K TV is better when it's daylight viewing but my Plasma TV in total darkness viewing can often look better
I had a Panny Plasma back in the day. Great sets for the time, still wouldn't be my first choice for watching LOTR given the option of 4K HDR though.

Of course, having had a plasma, the only upgrade option for cinema dark viewing was OLED (Panasonic again).

I had a Panny Plasma back in the day. Great sets for the time, still wouldn't be my first choice for watching LOTR given the option of 4K HDR though.

Of course, having had a plasma, the only upgrade option for cinema dark viewing was OLED (Panasonic again).
I think your forgetting the last couple Pioneer Pro Elite Plasmas. My sister has a Panny Plasma but I prefer the Elite I own that was professionaly calibrated if your talking about seeing those dark rich blacks.
I do need a 4K but wouldn't get any of the mostly junk they throw out for deals on Black Friday a lot of those TV's are trash. I'm aware I sound like a snob but in my experience that's what I've encountered.

I think your forgetting the last couple Pioneer Pro Elite Plasmas. My sister has a Panny Plasma but I prefer the Elite I own that was professionaly calibrated if your talking about seeing those dark rich blacks.
No doubt the pinnacle of the 1080p era, but OLED will match those blacks, quadruple the resolution and resolve HDR.

Reactions: Jaxxx
No doubt the pinnacle of the 1080p era, but OLED will match those blacks, quadruple the resolution and resolve HDR.
I LOVE my OLED but the burn in issue is a big factor to consider when purchasing. I took really good care of my Oled and never played a still image or any channel that has a logo but after 5 years of use I do see lines unfortunately and also a stuck pixel that appeared recently

I LOVE my OLED but the burn in issue is a big factor to consider when purchasing. I took really good care of my Oled and never played a still image or any channel that has a logo but after 5 years of use I do see lines unfortunately and also a stuck pixel that appeared recently
I had an LG for 5 years which still had no sign of burn-in when it came time to upgrade. The Panasonic I now have has a lot of counter-measures; logo detection, pixel orbiting and maintenance routines which run after power off.

Reactions: mjk-94
Save for a very small dent on the LOTR box, both this and Hobbit arrived completely mint. I’m shocked and relieved.

Will BB bring it in stores, or online only?
good question. I'm surprised to see it's still sold out online and in stores. It's very unusual for BB USA to not have items in the stores. And based on the info in the Digital Bits review, it sounds like there's not going to be very many extras in the deluxe edition, so we have to either keep the BD set or the DVD set. I sold the BD set and kept the DVDs, because I like the packaging better (and I got more for the blu ray set than i originally paid for it, which seemed odd).

So bestbuy screwed up and sent me two copies of the lord of the rings 4k steelbook trilogy instead of the hobbit.

And of course now they’re sold out of both trilogies.

Does anyone have The Hobbit 4k steelbook trilogy & interested in trading for my 4k LOTR steelbook trilogy?

Nevermind, seems UK releases are matte too, not zero finish. Seems only the French steelbooks are zero finish, but those have French titles on them :(