Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: March 7th, 2016
Purchase link: The Mask of Zorro (live)
Price: £12.99

11238489-6584360137792288.jpg

11238489-6404360137920439.jpg

Last edited:
wow. We've seen some lazy artwork on zavvi steelbooks, but this one looks like they forgot to design the back of the steelbook.

Sony and Zavvi working together for a shameful cash grab release,:yuck: would have considered this but not like this, welcome to the limit. :stop:

3ornk6br9W8qd3taYE.gif

Well it's March 9 and my order says 'awaiting stock pick', so if they can't be bothered to send me a copy when it's released I canceled, and I'll pick it up when it's £5.99

zorro poster.jpg Granted, this would have pleased more peeps with poster art (and the delectable CZJ somewhere on display but preferably inside as she's a subsidiary character after all) AND without the front art reproduced exactly on the back.
The absence of a new unfamiliar image makes me assume that permission wasn't given and, as far as I'm aware, all Blu-ray releases worldwide have similar Big Z artwork with the only difference being the addition of Zorro in shadow on those. EDIT: The only edition with different style artwork is the edition from Hungary which does nothing for me personally.
Despite not having bought it yet I'm kind of taken with it and I'm starting to like its artistic minimalism, its deep crimson or maroon colouring and the "Z" in flames with the added bonus of de-bossed title(s).
Also appreciating the symbolism which I consider more powerful than cluttering the covers with characters from the film. Keep the characters inside where they belong and keep the mystery on the outside - the mystery of this masked and caped comicbook superhero, the Zavenger (LOL) - this phantom character righting wrongs and standing up for the oppressed . . .
Truth to tell, could have been worse . . .
Maybe the reaction to this steel would have been a more favourable one had the front looked like the familiar (over-familiar) image inset above, with:-
- Gloss finish (which would have added life to the darkish colouring of this steel).
- De-bossed "Z"
- No title on the front - just on the spine - to maintain the elegant, classy look (white titles are definitely NOT elegant especially on a SB of this colour).

Reminded of SPECTRE with the repeated artwork though in that example the difference of course is that the title itself, which cuts through the artwork, is not repeated.

Last edited:
Would you have preferred the dire "Pop art" that seems to have inflicted a lot of steels from Lawrence of Arabia to The Rocky Horror show? Give me a poor normal steel any day of the week!

I cannot recall another Steelbook release where the front and back have been identical in every respect.

I suspect, therefore, that it's a quality control issue. Somewhere in the process, from submission of the artwork to be used to the actual production run, a mistake has been made and no one has picked up on it. Or, if they have, the decision was made that it was too late to do anything about it anyway and that people would go ahead and buy it regardless.

Since Sony titles invariably get released in different territories, it will be interesting to see whether future releases in other countries will get an identical Steelbook to the UK or one where the error has been rectified.

Granted, this would have pleased more peeps with poster art (and the delectable CZJ somewhere on display but more likely inside if anywhere as she is a subsidiary character after all) and without the front art reproduced exactly on the back and the absence of a new image makes me think that permission wasn't given . . . as far as I'm aware, all Blu-ray releases worldwide have similar big "Z" artwork with the only difference being the silhouette of Zorro on other editions.
Despite not having bought it yet I'm kind of taken by it and starting to like its artistic minimalism, its deep crimson or maroon colour, the "Z" in flames and the de-bossed title(s)
Truth to tell, could have been worse . . .
The cover isn't actually that bad, if it was glossed it would have looked quite good. The problem is using identical images front and back, if they didn't have permission to use any other artwork they shouldn't really have made the Steelbook or at least just kept the back blank with the same background. IMO that would have looked better than repeating it twice.