Release date: August 3rd, 2015
Purchase link: The Matrix
Price: £14.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Even with a 15% discount these are about a tenner more expensive for the trilogy. Doesn't make sense to go for these to me?
Maybe some are like me and prefer the English language J-card ;)

I'm happy to pay a little extra for a J-card in English (I don't throw them away) for an English language film, but I've not yet managed to overcome my disappointment in the boring artwork on these Matrix steels. Thus, no purchase from anywhere.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
Maybe some are like me and prefer the English language J-card ;)

I'm happy to pay a little extra for a J-card in English (I don't throw them away) for an English language film, but I've not yet managed to overcome my disappointment in the boring artwork on these Matrix steels. Thus, no purchase from anywhere.
Wow! €3+ for a J-card that comes off and I never see again! No Thanks :LOL:

If I did that for every steel I buy, I'd be down hundreds!!!! :wacky:

But to each their own :thumbs:

Reactions: Ranavalone
Nothing can replace the U.K. j-card and BBFC symbols for me at least and I can do without foreign print on my cases and that's why I only buy U.K. and U.S. Blu-rays (not got around to checking out Australian Blu-rays though did buy one a while ago - 'Transformers' the Madman edition of the original animated film).

Received my three today - sorry I can't post pics - really quite nice with the debossed stylised titles and selective spot glossing. The only thing I have a problem with is the mismatched background colouring with 'Revolutions' very green, 'Reloaded' very blue and 'The Matrix' somewhere in between.
MATRIX 6/10
RELOADED 8/10
REVOLUTIONS 5/10

The shiny effect (spot glossing?) is best seen on the cover of 'Reloaded' where the brickwork has a really nice sheen. Something has also been applied to the sunglasses in 'Revolutions' which makes them shiny yet opaque at certain angles. 'The Matrix' itself is pretty flat though the image is a good one. The spines are nice with that blue ripple effect and best spine of the three is 'Reloaded' and it's nice to see three almost perfectly matching spines, logos and all.
EDIT: Checked the French thread just now and read that this sheen may be down to 'metallic colours' used and not spot gloss.

Last edited:
The shiny effect (spot glossing?) is best seen on the cover of 'Reloaded' where the brickwork has a really nice sheen. Something has also been applied to the sunglasses in 'Revolutions' which makes them shiny yet opaque at certain angles. 'The Matrix' itself is pretty flat though the image is a good one. The spines are nice with that blue ripple effect and best spine of the three is 'Reloaded' and it's nice to see three almost perfectly matching spines, logos and all.
EDIT: Checked the French thread just now and read that this sheen may be down to 'metallic colours' used and not spot gloss.
I haven't gotten around to opening Revolutions yet, so no comment.
But for Reloaded, no spot gloss or any gloss anywhere ( I will soon change that though :naughty:)
For The Matrix, again no gloss. All matte.

Greetings @AlienKing the Matrix master - long time no speak - hope you're keeping well.
Hi virkia, I'm well. Hope you are also. Lol :D

The UK release with English J-card and logos makes a big difference to those who buy in ebay. Just try selling the same item from different region in ebay UK and see how it pans out in the end.

Take Thor for example, without a jcard it will always be known as the "HMV Thor"

Of course, my comments were based on why anyone would purchase an identical looking French release that is available for a couple of quid cheaper..

French versions are over 60% cheaper than Zavvi's. 12.99€ vs. 21.59€.
That's why people tend to go over to amazon and order there. Price is the key in this case.

And I hate scalpers from the bottom of my heart. They ruin collecting steelbooks for me.
I missed on a few titles I'd love to own but scalpers tend to make that task impossible because their prices (mainly talking about ebay and some private sellers) are off the charts and I hope that karma gets them in the end (nothing serious, a few broken bones would suffice) :)

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Dano
Ta, eventually I'm sure I will :)

Regarding eBay, I don't think I like some of the comments about the site as I feel it provides a valuable service for those like myself who miss out on a particular pre-order steelbook or on an original Blu-ray release that came with a slipcover at first pressing and is no longer available to buy with one through the regular channels.
I'm a definite fan of eBay and it's not difficult to steer clear of the so-called scalpers and buy reasonably priced items there.
Long live eBay I say and long may it continue to provide a valuable service to lovers of film, whether it be a Blu-ray in a plastic case or a steelbook :thumbs:

Reactions: Ranavalone