Release date: May 23, 2016
Purchase link: The Mist
Price: £14.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.

11243880-8494363308095367.jpg

11243880-1234363308586173.jpg

11243880-1754363308401841.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For everyone asking about Lost In Translation and Eternal Sunshine, we couldn't get the artwork approved. We mocked these up in the same style artwork which looked amazing, sadly the production company would not approve it....we tried several times we different concepts, including a straight theatrical adapt and they wouldn't let us produce it. We are gutted! :(

That's a downer about lost in translation!!! A lot of us here would want that.

So they wouldn't even agree to standard poster art?

Thank you but I only collect British steelbook releases so will only buy Eternal Sunshine if e one release it here.

Sometimes the same steelbook is used else where depending on print run . The Terminator for exampke 3000 print run . 1000 to Zavvi 1000 to Germany 1000 to Film Arena witch with the amazing work FA put in for £10 more including P+P I got a killer package . With a phenomenal Lenti and art cards.

What I'm trying to say Hobiin is that all the wounderous artwork from around the world . Don't just settle for the hum drum for top price charged .

Last thing I can call this version is Hum Drum . Its only the fact that this movie got in my head so much I can not watch it again . CREDIT TO YOU @eonedirect . This looks the dogs doodars . WELL DONE . VERY WELL DONE to you and your company .

I think I've finally realized why I dislike this art. It all comes down to the title and I think it's the biggest single problem I have with most hand drawn art like this. Why oh why do they have to shoehorn the title in somewhere into the artwork??? It looks so pretentious and it puts me off immediately. If they had used this art with the original title font overlaying the image then this would work SO much better. For me it creates entirely the wrong tone that clashes with the rest of the design. I also don't like the fact that they basically said that they fancy doing the next 4 steelbooks with hand drawn art. I strongly believe that each film should have individual art considerations rather than being lumped into a "wave" of similar designs because it's the trend to do so.

@eonedirect is there ANY chance at all that this could be changed if there is enough feedback from people to do so, maybe via a poll or something? PS - I appreciate the way you have taken the time to come onto the HDN forum to answer questions and listen to feedback :thumbs:

Looks like a name of a diner to me (which is obviously what it's supposed to) so it's fine and cool to me

I don't like the fact one got one treatment for finish so it sounds like the others got the same as the first one and not individually thought out!

Reactions: Noodles
I think I've finally realized why I dislike this art. It all comes down to the title and I think it's the biggest single problem I have with most hand drawn art like this. Why oh why do they have to shoehorn the title in somewhere into the artwork??? It looks so pretentious and it puts me off immediately. If they had used this art with the original title font overlaying the image then this would work SO much better. For me it creates entirely the wrong tone that clashes with the rest of the design. I also don't like the fact that they basically said that they fancy doing the next 4 steelbooks with hand drawn art. I strongly believe that each film should have individual art considerations rather than being lumped into a "wave" of similar designs because it's the trend to do so.

@eonedirect is there ANY chance at all that this could be changed if there is enough feedback from people to do so, maybe via a poll or something? PS - I appreciate the way you have taken the time to come onto the HDN forum to answer questions and listen to feedback :thumbs:

Unfortunately it is too late to change the artwork. We will do what is best for the title. The Walking Deads are being done by Jock, and new releases will be considered on a title by title basis. We will have a new release next week which I will share, it isn't in the same style. We felt these titles looked good in this format, personal opinion though!

Reactions: chunk
No we tried that...we also looked at the soundtrack artwork.

So does that mean the studio just don't want a steelbook edition as they seem to be rejecting actual artwork and artist created work?

Looks like a name of a diner to me (which is obviously what it's supposed to) so it's fine and cool to me

Sorry to disagree with you bud but The Mist is set in a supermarket not a diner - so clearly it isn't supposed to look like that. The fact that it even confused you says to me that they got that part of the design very wrong.

@eonedirect that's a shame, but thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately it is too late to change the artwork. We will do what is best for the title. The Walking Deads are being done by Jock, and new releases will be considered on a title by title basis. We will have a new release next week which I will share, it isn't in the same style. We felt these titles looked good in this format, personal opinion though!
Honestly I really like the artworks for The Mist and Bronson (I'm indifferent to Amelie and Ghost Rider 2 as films so their arts don't fuss me). I wish there was a bit of spot glossing going on (especially with Bronson) but hey, can't have everything.

I applaud designers using something other than the poster art. Poster art is predictable, has been seen before and is most likely already on the amaray. Original artwork like this actually adds to the collectability IMO.

This could have been really basic artwork with credits all over the back and no inside artwork which we've seen happen plenty of times before. I think we should be happy with what we've been offered instead of calling for a poll (lol) to change something that is probably already at the manufacturing stage.

Reactions: Noodles and Flloydo
Sorry to disagree with you bud but The Mist is set in a supermarket not a diner - so clearly it isn't supposed to look like that. The fact that it even confused you says to me that they got that part of the design very wrong.

A supermarket then

They have very different style supermarkets in the US which I forgot about until you reminded me so now it does look like supermarkets I would see in a film set in a small town etc.

They also have those kind of diner Windows.

So thanks for pointing that out because I see it more now

If you've seen tbe movie, you'll know it's just a play on tbe real store in the film.....

toms_market.jpg

Also, they've done a good job replicating it with the inside artwork.......

Market.jpg

Looks more Photoshopped than hand drawn though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Flloydo
For everyone asking about Lost In Translation and Eternal Sunshine, we couldn't get the artwork approved. We mocked these up in the same style artwork which looked amazing, sadly the production company would not approve it....we tried several times we different concepts, including a straight theatrical adapt and they wouldn't let us produce it. We are gutted! :(
Damn, that really sucks. No wonder we get so many disappointing steels if that's how difficult the production companies can be. Any chance we could see the mock artwork? Obviously I understand if not. :)

I actually really like the title the way it is... rather than just slapping it over the top of an image, they've come up with a pretty creative way of adding it in there IMO. I haven't seen anyone else comment on how they don't like it, so a poll probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

Honestly I really like the artworks for The Mist and Bronson (I'm indifferent to Amelie and Ghost Rider 2 as films so their arts don't fuss me). I wish there was a bit of spot glossing going on (especially with Bronson) but hey, can't have everything.

I applaud designers using something other than the poster art. Poster art is predictable, has been seen before and is most likely already on the amaray. Original artwork like this actually adds to the collectability IMO.

This could have been really basic artwork with credits all over the back and no inside artwork which we've seen happen plenty of times before. I think we should be happy with what we've been offered instead of calling for a poll (lol) to change something that is probably already at the manufacturing stage.
Couldn't agree more! :thumbs:

Reactions: chunk and Flloydo
Personally don't have any problem with the placing of the title - on the contrary, I think it's quite ingenious as here's no better place to put it unless they omitted it altogether.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the artwork on all 4 in this new range of "COLLECTORS EDITION BLU-RAY MOVIE ART": Liking the look of all of these :thumbs: but hoping that careful consideration will be paid to the final FINISH.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the grocery store/supermarket in which most of the action is set: it's in an outdoor shopping mall along with KING'S PHARMACY(Stephen King LOL).
In the book it's THE GROCERY STORE and one of a chain owned by Federal Foods Inc. (no such real company in The States though there is a Federal Foods Ltd. in Arabia).
In the film it's TOM'S MARKET in Minden, Louisiana.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the two versions of the film in this steelbook (and in the original 2008 U.K. Amaray release): the b/w version is called the Director's Choice Version and features a 3:15 minute long introduction from director Frank Darabont in which he explains why he prefers it and says and I quote:-
"The two I feel are completely different viewing experiences. I dig them both and if there's something on this disc that someone would consider the director's cut or the director's version of the movie it would have to be the black and white. It's my preferred version for my fellow filmbusting geeks who really dig black and white movies. This would be the version to watch, in my opinion and I really hope you enjoy the black and white version of THE MIST" FD.
There are two "scenes" in the colour Theatrical Version not in the DC but these amount to a total of only 3 seconds of the actual film (19 seconds in total if you consider slight changes in the titles sequence) making run times thus: DC b/w 120:45 minutes and TC col. 121:04 minutes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The feeling is that the black and white version should be watched first but of course all down to personal choice/preference :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply received from Scanavo today to my enquiry about the finish of these 4 Art steels:-

"Hi Nicholas,
it is matte varnish as announced.
Have a god (sic) day
Best regards
(International Sales Manager)"

Original enquiry:-
"Dear Sir or Madam,
It has been revealed on a steelbook forum thread that the following four steelbooks will have a matte finish:- (1) BRONSON (2) THE MIST (3) GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE and
(4) AMELIE. Please say it isn't so and that they will at least have a zero varnish finish.
Yours faithfully,
-----------------------"

Last edited:

It looks exactly like a supermarket sign, I've seen many supermarkets and department stores with similar sign designs throughout my life. And it clearly is supposed to look like that. And it's very cool done that way. Your intense dislike for it and reasons for disliking it are rather bizarre (how is it "pretentious"?), and I think you are probably in the microscopic minority in this.

I actually really like the title the way it is... rather than just slapping it over the top of an image, they've come up with a pretty creative way of adding it in there IMO. I haven't seen anyone else comment on how they don't like it, so a poll probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

100% agree with you:thumbs: i really like what they did with the tittle:cigar:
I love the whole thing.. think I'm gonna have to put an order in.

Reactions: Noodles
Personally don't have any problem with the placing of the title - on the contrary, I think it's quite ingenious as here's no better place to put it unless they omitted it altogether.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the artwork on all 4 in this new range of "COLLECTORS EDITION BLU-RAY MOVIE ART": Liking the look of all of these :thumbs: but hoping that careful consideration will be paid to the final FINISH.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the grocery store/supermarket in which most of the action is set: it's in an outdoor shopping mall along with KING'S PHARMACY(Stephen King LOL).
In the book it's THE GROCERY STORE and one of a chain owned by Federal Foods Inc. (no such real company in The States though there is a Federal Foods Ltd. in Arabia).
In the film it's TOM'S MARKET in Minden, Louisiana.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the two versions of the film in this steelbook (and in the original 2008 U.K. Amaray release): the b/w version is called the Director's Choice Version and features a 3:15 minute long introduction from director Frank Darabont in which he explains why he prefers it and says and I quote:-
"The two I feel are completely different viewing experiences. I dig them both and if there's something on this disc that someone would consider the director's cut or the director's version of the movie it would have to be the black and white. It's my preferred version for my fellow filmbusting geeks who really dig black and white movies. This would be the version to watch, in my opinion and I really hope you enjoy the black and white version of THE MIST" FD.
There are two "scenes" in the colour Theatrical Version not in the DC but these amount to a total of only 3 seconds of the actual film (19 seconds in total if you consider slight changes in the titles sequence) making run times thus: DC b/w 120:45 minutes and TC col. 121:04 minutes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The feeling is that the black and white version should be watched first but of course all down to personal choice/preference :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply received from Scanavo today to my enquiry about the finish of these 4 Art steels:-

"Hi Nicholas,
it is matte varnish as announced.
Have a god (sic) day
Best regards
(International Sales Manager)"

Original enquiry:-
"Dear Sir or Madam,
It has been revealed on a steelbook forum thread that the following four steelbooks will have a matte finish:- (1) BRONSON (2) THE MIST (3) GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE and
(4) AMELIE. Please say it isn't so and that they will at least have a zero varnish finish.
Yours faithfully,
-----------------------"

You knew it was matte all
Along with Eone confirming lol
And varnish is a strong word, I've seen some lightly varnished that look terrible and some with high varnish that don't look to bad and vice versa depending on the colour of the art/paint used and the actual image so you still really don't know until in hand

Varnish sometimes makes the image harder to see correctly for me so i just hope these look okay with matte. Still a shame about the finsh though as it's clear quite a lot agree that maybe apart from this title gloss or spot gloss would suit the other 3 (Amelie, Bronson and ghostrider 2)

100% agree with you:thumbs: i really like what they did with the tittle:cigar:
I love the whole thing.. think I'm gonna have to put an order in.
They're gorgeous releases, and it's nice to see some effort being put into the artwork for once. Shame that they'll be receiving a matte finish, but I'm more about artwork over finish anyway. I'd be very tempted to pre-order if they were a few quid cheaper, but I'll just be patient and wait until the price drops a little. :)

Reactions: chunk and Flloydo
They're gorgeous releases, and it's nice to see some effort being put into the artwork for once. Shame that they'll be receiving a matte finish, but I'm more about artwork over finish anyway. I'd be very tempted to pre-order if they were a few quid cheaper, but I'll just be patient and wait until the price drops a little. :)

I like a good matt finish if it's done exactly like 'big trouble' :Dnice solid colours,with no disappearing images when tilted:cigar: I just tried a few discount codes, but none are working on this.. I put an order in but might have to wait for a discount nearer release date. I bought this on dvd, watched it.. later they released the BD with the black and white version that I still haven't got around to watching, so I should skip this but I really love the artwork, the style, the tittle and placement, colours, I also like the cars beaming lights.. I hope the steelbook does the art justice. I would prefer £12.99 when double dipping though.. this is a tough one.. Guess it will come down to :greedy: flow in may:D

I like a good matt finish if it's done exactly like 'big trouble' :Dnice solid colours,with no disappearing images when tilted:cigar: I just tried a few discount codes, but none are working on this.. I put an order in but might have to wait for a discount nearer release date. I bought this on dvd, watched it.. later they released the BD with the black and white version that I still haven't got around to watching, so I should skip this but I really love the artwork, the style, the tittle and placement, colours, I also like the cars beaming lights.. I hope the steelbook does the art justice. I would prefer £12.99 when double dipping though.. this is a tough one.. Guess it will come down to :greedy: flow in may:D

I love the big trouble matte colour. Very bright and vivid

I wish a lot of matte steels were like that

Reactions: chunk
I love the big trouble matte colour. Very bright and vivid

I wish a lot of matte steels were like that
Absolutely! I wish all matt steels were like that, I think they should just have a standard matt finish, so when our pre order states 'matt' we know, it might not be gloss but it's still gonna look awesome:) you just never know what you're gonna get when it arrives. Thinking about all the matt Arrow steelbook's I've bought, they were all solid matt perfection, they never look cheap. So fingers crossed, the mist comes out well.. the tones have got to pop for this type of artwork, the blacks (on the car and creature in the foreground) have to be solid to allow the art to be what it's meant to. I say, do it like the arrow releases and they'll be awesome:)

Reactions: Flloydo