The Office (Concluded) [NBC]

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
Discuss any and all things office here... :)

Attachments

• office.jpg
    office.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:
Steve Carell has decided that after next year's seventh season of The Office, he will be retiring the awkward head honcho Michael Scott!

He says: "I'm contracted through next season. I think that will be last year."

Last edited:
I wonder if this is a ploy to get more money because of the resurgence in his film career or if he's serious. I hope he's just trying to get more money, because I don't see him going anywhere farther in film than he already has. His time is definitely limited... He needs to ride this Office train as long as he can...

David Brent Is Back! Ricky Gervais To Cameo On The Office!

Paul Lieberstein, producer of The Office, dropped a BOMB earlier today when he revealed that Ricky Gervais, who created the UK Office and played the character that ultimate inspired Steve Carrell's role, filmed a cameo as David Brent for the series that will air in the cold open of the January 27th episode!

And he's kept this on the DL since September, because that's apparently when the scene was filmed!

He reveals:

"It's a little more than if you blink, you'll miss it, but if you don't set your TiVo right, you'll miss it. Ricky had wanted to do something [with the U.S. Office] and it felt like we shouldn't go the whole series without them connecting. But we had some issues to work out, like how does David Brent live in the world of Michael Scott. It's outside of the office, and it's just the two of them interacting. It's just a llittle nod to Steve and his final year. We didn't even tell NBC at first. So [Ricky] worked for free. But don't print that — it might get him in trouble with the INS."

Comedian Ricky Gervais created the original UK version of The Office. Then the American version starring Steve Carell.

Now Gervais is poised to bring his original Office character - David Brent - to Dunder-Mifflin on January 27, according to Vulture.

Not too many specific details are known at this time, but we do know that Brent will be crossing paths with Steve Carell's character Michael Scott. Hilarity is guaranteed to ensue. Gervais has never appeared on the American version of The Office, despite being an executive producer and writing a script for an episode.

In the meantime, with Steve Carell's departure from The Office to occur just before May sweeps, the hunt is still on to replace the main character of the series. The producers plan to set up a storyline where characters will interview for the new spot of office manager and Kathy Bates is set to return to help the process. The producers have decided to play out the replacement process on screen towards the end of the season.

They said -If ER had went off the air when George Clooney left think of all the great years of television we would have missed. You just have to trust us.-

I don't know if that's the exact quote, but we'll see what they do...

Those are big shoes to fill... I am worried the change doesn't go well with the show. Who is Dwight going to worship now?!:hilarious:

Will Ferrell Helping Steve Carell's Exit From 'The Office' With Four-Episode Arc

Will Ferrell has committed to a four-episode arc on NBC's comedy The Office. He will play a branch manager who comes from the home office and is just as inappropriate as Steve Carell's Michael Scott character. NBC is still figuring out exactly when the episodes will air, but Ferrell has committed to one episode beyond Carell’s finale, to help create a bridge.

Ferrell called the producers, offering his services because he's a fan and wanted to commemorate Carell’s swan song by taking part in The Office star's seventh and final season on the show. Ferrell and Carell are close friends who co-starred in Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. The stint brings Ferrell back to NBC, where he launched his career on Saturday Night Live. Additionally, he has done arcs on such series as NBC's 30 Rock and HBO's Eastbound & Down, which he also produces.

“We found Steve Carell when he was nothing but a movie star and we turned him into a television star,” said The Office exec producer Paul Lieberstein (who doubles as the annoying Dunder Mifflin HR executive Toby Flenderson, Michael Scott’s arch-nemesis. “We are proud to continue The Office’s tradition of discovering famous talent, and we hope that once America gets a good look at Will, they’ll see what we see, tremendous raw sexuality.”

The office picked up for 8th Season

NBC reaffirmed its commitment to three of its critically beloved comedies today by announcing 2011-12 pickups for The Office, Parks & Recreation and Community.

“I am so pleased to renew these three outstanding comedies which are all at the top of their game creatively,” said Bob Greenblatt, NBC Entertainment Chairman, in a statement. “Along with 30 Rock, they represent the best of what the NBC comedy brand stands for in terms of originality, wit, and sophistication. The Office continues to fire on all cylinders on the most competitive night of television, Parks & Recreation has come into its own this season as the rightful companion to The Office, and Community is one of the freshest comedies on any network and a solid foundation for Thursday night.”
NBC has yet to decide whether to renew Perfect Couples or Outsourced. It’s likely that call will be made at crunch time in early May, when the Peacock is preparing to announce its fall lineup to advertisers in New York.

The Office averages a 4.0 rating/10 share in adults 18-49 and 7.7 million viewers. Parks earns a 2.8/7 and 5.5 million viewers, while Community gets a 2.1/6 and 4.7 million.

-Season 8 will be the first full season without Michael Scott (Steve Carrell).

The Office Finale Adds Three More Picks to Replace Steve Carell

We already knew that Ricky Gervais and Will Arnett would be making appearances on the season finale of The Office, but now TV Line reports that three more actors will join them in the running for Michael Scott's old job: Ray Romano, James Spader, and British comedienne Catherine Tate. Spader does have experience replacing a show lead late in the game from his stint on The Practice, and Tate is a genius, but is it all just window dressing for a promotion from within Dunder-Mifflin?

If Ray Romano replaces him i'll DEFINITELY be done with this show. I LOATHE everything about him.

I hate his face, his voice, even the mention of his name makes me want to vomit. I'd rather see a Nicholas Cage movie than to suffer through some garbage that Ray Romano is in.

Paul Lieberstein on the Strategy Behind the Top-Secret Steve Carell Replacement

After a month-long break, The Office returns tonight with the first of Steve Carell's final three episodes (plus Will Ferrell's debut), followed by four more half-hours boasting an array of other guest stars, including Will Arnett, Ray Romano, and Ricky Gervais. But will any of these big names end up coming back next season as the new permanent head of Dunder Mifflin's Scranton branch? The producers have been mysterious about their future plans, so Vulture called series showrunner Paul Lieberstein (who also plays Michael Scott's low-key HR nemesis, Toby) to talk about the thinking behind the hush-hush transition and the potential hazards of stunt casting, and we also got him to drop some hints about the season's last seven episodes.

So why all the secrecy about announcing who will replace Steve, and when?
It's story ... When someone leaves an office, often there's a series of successors until you settle on one. If we were to just [announce], "Hey, here's the person we just made a giant deal with [to take over as the lead]," it would make what happens in between a lot less enjoyable.

So you know who's going to be the new Michael Scott.
I just don't want to say. There's a reinvention of The Office we have worked on and planned very carefully, and for a long time. The precise casting has not been finalized. But we know who our stars are: They're already in the cast.

Is at least a little of this about publicity for the show — getting people talking about it after so many seasons?
We initially, a year ago, had a plan of very quietly exiting Michael Scott. And then after he announced, it became very clear that nobody was going to allow us to quietly exit Michael Scott and Steve Carell. It was a big story people wanted to talk about. At that point, we decided to play out on air what happens in an office when someone leaves, the growing pains and adjustments that come with management changes. It's something a lot of people have experienced, and we search all the time for the relatable office stories. So it felt like we had a good, relatable story line that was worthy of an arc.

Some major names guest star on the show in the next few weeks: Will Ferrell, James Spader, Will Arnett, Ray Romano. Did you worry about the show becoming too much like Will & Grace, with stunt casting galore?
Usually my feeling has always been, "No giant guests for single episodes." That's the rule I've been going by. I feel like you can't lose the fact that they're a giant celeb in a single episode. But over multiple episodes, a character emerges you can start to believe. The thing about many celebrities — not all — is that they're fantastic actors. If we've created a really juicy role, it just feels like a fantastic actor should be playing the part. If it's a long enough part, we consider anyone. If it's a single episode, we don't usually let a single actor on. Because that' s just stunting.

Now, in the finale, we do have some very big stars for that single episode. But we're asking people to believe these people are in consideration for a spot that can't go to an unknown [actor] — or that it's very unlikely it would go to someone without Steve's experience. It seems a lot easier to believe James Spader is truly a candidate for the manager position because he's someone who could easily get that job in the fall. In the real world. It's a lot to ask in someone to completely suspend their knowledge of how television works. With Spader or Will Arnett or Ray Romano or Catherine Tate, it's easier to believe this is someone who could be in contention.

But that's not to say any of those people will actually be the manager.
No, I am saying that. I'm not guaranteeing it. But there's a real possibility.

So who do these people play?
Will Arnett plays an ex-Navy meteorologist who recently broke into the paper world. Catherine Tate — we don't reveal much about her backstory. She appears to be a person struggling for a vision of how to manage. Yet she's bizarrely confident. And Ray Romano, he's not too far away from the Ray that we've come to love.

What are the big themes of the remaining episodes this season?
The next three are really about Michael's exit, and Deangelo [Will Ferrell's character] coming in to replace him. And then we get to the next level of shows, which is really about the struggles of an office under a new manager [and] managers who don't work out. It's about life in the office with an uncertain management. Dwight, to no one's surprise, will be going after the job with everything he has. And it's probably not surprising that Darryl will be as well. Throughout the year, he's shown great ambition and desire for more. And Andy is going to throw his hat into the ring. He's got the résumé. He just doesn't have anything else.

What about Kelly and Ryan?
She's going to make a little run at it. It's not received with great respect. Ryan's had the job above it once. But it's not even clear he works at the office. I don't know if he stayed under a temp agreement or how things worked out.

Where's Toby right now? And how will he and Michael say good-bye?
Toby's been on jury duty. He'll make his return on April 28. Michael struggles to leave on a positive note with people. It's been a struggle with Toby.

Toby's not interested in Michael's position, is he?
Watch and see. Now you know why I'm not saying anything! [Laughs]

Have you talked to Steve about possibly returning for guest appearances in the future? Assuming Michael doesn't die in the finale.
We haven't had that discussion. I hope it's a possibility. I would love for that to happen.

As the years have gone on, some of your Scrantonites have started looking a little more Hollywood. Sort of the way Loretta Swit gave up pretending it was the fifties during the last years of M*A*S*H and became a lot more glamorous.
Well, our cast is growing up. Unlike some other shows where time is frozen, we do grow through their lives. I don't mind that they have morphing looks or different hairstyles. John [Krasinski] does look like a movie star now. That can't be a bad thing. But [Jim is] also a much different guy now: He cares more about people, about the world. And he's a father, too. In terms of introducing new characters, every time we do that, we have to grab onto our Scranton roots, unless the story line says otherwise.

What sorts of smaller story lines should we expect in addition to all the big drama ahead in the coming weeks?
Andy and Erin and Gabe continue to work through their low-level triangle. There's movement. There's some juggling. If I were to tell you, then you'd know all of it. We'll do some more with Angela and her gay senator boyfriend.

Is it tough when some critics and commenters make the case that there should be no Office once Carell exits?
It's a little frustrating to hear people say they'd like the show to end with Steve. But I just view it as people who are huge fans of Steve. And he deserves those fans. I imagine there's a section of our audience that are Steve fans, and who may leave with him. But maybe we have some Ed Helms fans who'd enjoy seeing more of Ed. And that goes for the rest of the cast as well. We don't want to stop. It's as simple as that. There's more to do. The excitement right now — it feels like Season 2 again. In the writers room, in talking to the actors — it just feels like there's an open horizon for us to explore. I feel really creatively excited about reinventing the show.

Did Steve take home anything from the set?
I don't know. But he can have something if he wants it.

Last edited: