The Terminator (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 18, 2019
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre order will be live on Thursday October 24th at Midday 12pm UK time)
Price: £15.99

12218443-1314688023588467.jpg

12218443-9414688023684341.jpg 12218443-1954688022168447.jpg

Last edited:
Less is more a lot of the time.

When the play Terminator first came out I thought it was amazing. Now it looks lacking and a little too busy, but still decent.
It has long since been sold, but when Zeta's came out I thought absolutely untouchable.
Maybe Manta will rival it one day if they ever release it (I know, another right?)

Zeta's design is what a steelbook should be like imo.
That is one of a number of steelbooks that are up there in the 'This is what a steelbook should be' category.
Others such as MoS Manta and Play Iron Man are up there too.

It's all subjective of course.

giphy.gif

On top of my head, I can name a few steels that have either better or about as good non-premium versions as their premium versions.

- Aquaman (WWA, this one to be specific: Aquaman 3D Blu-ray Release Date April 29, 2019). Not necessarily better than the premium ones, but definitely not worse either.
- Black Panther (WWA edition, e.g. the Blufans one is just the film poster, which is way too busy and uninteresting. The WWA version gets a lot of hate, but I like it just fine.)
- Blade Runner 2049 (Blade Runner 2049 Blu-ray Release Date November 5, 2018. Cost only 25€ and came with a really nice booklet + art cards + steel itself is really nice, again not necessarily better but definitely not worse than any of the premium ones)
- Deadpool (the original WWA version, this one Deadpool Blu-ray Release Date June 27, 2016)
- Doctor Strange (both the Zavvi ones)
- Iron Man 1 & 2 (Play exclusives, even the Zavvi lentis are about as good as any premiums)
- Jurassic World (WWA first edition, Jurassic World Blu-ray Release Date October 26, 2015)
- Logan (WWA, Logan Blu-ray Release Date July 17, 2017)
- Mad Max: Fury Road Black & Chrome Edition
- Mission Impossible: Fallout (WWA)
- Pacific Rim (Pacific Rim 3D Blu-ray Release Date November 11, 2013)
- The Revenant (WWA)
- RoboCop (RoboCop Blu-ray Release Date February 17, 2014)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (WWA, Spider-Man: Homecoming 4K + 3D Blu-ray Release Date November 20, 2017)
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (WWA, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K Blu-ray Release Date April 22, 2019)
- Suicide Squad (WWA, Suicide Squad Blu-ray Release Date December 5, 2016)
- Star Trek: Beyond (WWA, Star Trek Beyond 3D Blu-ray Release Date November 21, 2016)
- Thor (HMV exclusive)
- Thor: Ragnarok (WWA, Thor: Ragnarok 3D Blu-ray Release Date February 26, 2018)
- Venom (WWA, Venom Blu-ray Release Date February 18, 2019)
- Wonder Woman (WWA, Wonder Woman 3D Blu-ray Release Date October 9, 2017)

And I know that you get some overpriced/useless swag with the premiums, but I don't give a rat's ass about them. Slipcovers are pointless to me; when I buy a steelbook, I buy it to get the steelbook case to be displayed, not hidden behind a cardboard sleeve. Art cards are nice I guess, but not worth the extra price. I've gotten some art cards with some steels or CE/LE editions and yeah, they're nice to look at, but I don't think I've ever given them a second look after the initial unboxing of the steel/CE/LE. They're a nice bonus, but not something I'd pay extra for.

If you really think that the premium editions are THAT much better than the WWA or some of the non-premium WEA editions, for example the ones I listed, then whoop dee f'n doo.

Last edited by a moderator:
giphy.gif

On top of my head, I can name a few steels that have either better or about as good non-premium versions as their premium versions.

- Aquaman (WWA, this one to be specific: Aquaman 3D Blu-ray Release Date April 29, 2019). Not necessarily better than the premium ones, but definitely not worse either.
- Black Panther (WWA edition, e.g. the Blufans one is just the film poster, which is way too busy and uninteresting. The WWA version gets a lot of hate, but I like it just fine.)
- Blade Runner 2049 (Blade Runner 2049 Blu-ray Release Date November 5, 2018. Cost only 25€ and came with a really nice booklet + art cards + steel itself is really nice, again not necessarily better but definitely not worse than any of the premium ones)
- Deadpool (the original WWA version, this one Deadpool Blu-ray Release Date June 27, 2016)
- Iron Man 1 & 2 (Play exclusives, even the Zavvi lentis are about as good as any premiums)
- Jurassic World (WWA first edition, Jurassic World Blu-ray Release Date October 26, 2015)
- The Revenant (WWA)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (WWA, Spider-Man: Homecoming 4K + 3D Blu-ray Release Date November 20, 2017)
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (WWA, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K Blu-ray Release Date April 22, 2019)
- Star Trek: Beyond (WWA, Star Trek Beyond 3D Blu-ray Release Date November 21, 2016)
- Thor (HMV exclusive)
- Thor: Ragnarok (WWA, Thor: Ragnarok 3D Blu-ray Release Date February 26, 2018)

And I know that you get some overpriced/useless swag with the premiums, but I don't give a rat's ass about them. Slipcovers are pointless to me; when I buy a steelbook, I buy it to get the steelbook case to be displayed, not hidden behind a cardboard sleeve. Art cards are nice I guess, but not worth the extra price. I've gotten some art cards with some steels or CE/LE editions and yeah, they're nice to look at, but I don't think I've ever given them a second look after the initial unboxing of the steel/CE/LE. They're a nice bonus, but not something I'd pay extra for.

If you really think that the premium editions are THAT much better than the WWA or some of the non-premium WEA editions, for example the ones I listed, then whoop dee f'n doo.
But this terminator steel is still shite :whistle: :whistle:

Don't really like to go off-topic from what I'm collecting, but I'm very tempted by this.

@Miku
You are not meant to post links to Blu-ray com website as that is a competitor web forum
Use retailer website links or thread links from HDN forum
BD links removed

Reactions: Sigill
My favourite TERMINATOR design steelbook (UK) has still got to be this one - simple, nicely balanced, understated and effective ...
1572131954993.png

... and was limited to 1,000 units if I remember correctly.

New TERMINATOR steel only makes it the third release in the UK compared to four for T2 which I suppose is fair enough.

giphy.gif

- The Revenant (WWA)
- Thor (HMV exclusive)

Christ. Someone else ragging on ninja’s for pushing the boat out on a premium now and then.

giphy.gif

- The Revenant (WWA)
- Thor (HMV exclusive)

I don't disagree with some of your examples but I feel sure you'll admit that many a splendid design WWA is let down by its finish.

I don't disagree with some of your examples but I feel sure you'll admit that many a splendid design WWA is let down by its finish.
Some of them, yeah, but many of them have either a really good or solid finish. For example, from the ones I listed, quite many of them have either a really good glossy finish with no embossing/debossing (e.g. Aquaman, Jurassic World, RoboCop, Thor: Ragnarok) or a really good glossy finish with great embossing (e.g. Deadpool, Iron Man 1 & 2, Mad Max Black & Chrome, Thor). Some of the matte finishes were a bit of a let down for sure (e.g. The Revenant and Venom could be better), but quite many of the matte finishes I listed are really solid imo. For example, Logan, Pacific Rim, both Spider-Man steels, Suicide Squad are really nice despite the matte finish and some of the matte finish ones have really nice embossing, like Doctor Strange and Wonder Woman. I especially like the UK's Star Trek Beyond steel (very nice embossing + artwork + colors), though that one would probably be better with gloss finish.

Some of them, yeah, but many of them have either a really good or solid finish. For example, from the ones I listed, quite many of them have either a really good glossy finish with no embossing/debossing (e.g. Aquaman, Jurassic World, RoboCop, Thor: Ragnarok) or a really good glossy finish with great embossing (e.g. Deadpool, Iron Man 1 & 2, Mad Max Black & Chrome, Thor). Some of the matte finishes were a bit of a let down for sure (e.g. The Revenant and Venom could be better), but quite many of the matte finishes I listed are really solid imo. For example, Logan, Pacific Rim, both Spider-Man steels, Suicide Squad are really nice despite the matte finish and some of the matte finish ones have really nice embossing, like Doctor Strange and Wonder Woman. I especially like the UK's Star Trek Beyond steel (very nice embossing + artwork + colors), though that one would probably be better with gloss finish.

Not forgetting that hundreds of WWA steelbooks will never see the light of day as premium steelbooks so for freedom of choice one would go for regular steelbooks but for better alternatives - when the WWAs are not exciting - one would like to go for the WEA option (such as the recent SE7EN or the upcoming JACKIE BROWN).

Missed out on this, so hoping for some pre-order cancellations.