The Thing (1982) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [Italy]

Feb 10, 2020
Release date: September 16, 2021
Purchase link: Amazon IT
Price: €26.94

91KdF7TixkL._SY445_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the UK Arrow, UK Universal, and the US Scream editions. The Mondo steel came around and honestly it didn't really do much for me, so I passed. I understand I'm the minority opinion on that. I have seen a Mondo poster for The Thing that would have made a sensational steelbook, but alas it wasn't to be.

I'm assuming the more recent Europe edition is the one with the snowy blue background with Benning on his knees? I love the look of that, but think it has no inside art. Would love a steel for the prequel. Even tho the cgi wasn't up to the lofty standards of Rob Bottin's imagination, I loved the performances, characters and story.

As for this, I'm very interested in seeing what this place has to offer. May be time to mock up some more mini The Thing Lobby Cards for a new edition!!!! Unless they come packing their own, that is.

The Mondo was alright, not the best but better than the one I need to find at a reasonable price:

1594016884882.png

I also want to find the old 'Das Ding' German steelbook for a good price.

I think the one you describe is for the prequel? I saw that one at the cinema, there was only myself, my missus and only 1 other person in the whole screening and that was the week it opened! Clearly no one cared about it unfortunately. I thought it was ok, good concept and I loved how it linked straight into the 1982 movie but the CGI was truely disasterous and really did take away from the experience.

I hope this new steelbook is easy to order direct (fingers crosed other stores stock it too).

Reactions: jaws finatic
I remember someone on here saying Ennio did his best Impression of a Carpenter score with his trademark (Not those exact words - probably worded much better than me) And it was spot on

RIP Sir

(I never got the scream edition but I have the other steels, arrow box set, DVD and mondo vinyl - I need the Scream One)

I hope for Ferguson for the front art. Here ist a concept, I just did.

this is literally what I had in mind for the front. I was going to post that art yesterday but forgot.

Is the back a zoomed in version of the mondo art they used for the vinyl?

great mock up though. Would love it

• Thanks
Reactions: toykuehn
this is literally what I had in mind for the front. I was going to post that art yesterday but forgot.

Is the back a zoomed in version of the mondo art they used for the vinyl?

great mock up though. Would love it
It's a variant of the mondo used by Sacred Bones for the vinyl "Lost cues: The Thing"

Honestly, I'm thrilled this classic is getting a 4K release but it's so meh that the same movies keep getting multiple steelbook releases (and full disclosure this is maybe because I love my Arrow steelbook for this film) when so many great films never get one. I'd much rather see the 1951 film get a steelbook than the 1982 film - as great as it is - get another one.

this is a hell yes!
I will get whatever edition is released first haha
I got US Scream and Uk Arrow and previous UK release also.

I think the one you describe is for the prequel? I saw that one at the cinema, there was only myself, my missus and only 1 other person in the whole screening and that was the week it opened! Clearly no one cared about it unfortunately. I thought it was ok, good concept and I loved how it linked straight into the 1982 movie but the CGI was truely disasterous and really did take away from the experience.

I hope this new steelbook is easy to order direct (fingers crosed other stores stock it too).

I don't think I knew that was for the prequel. Isn't that Bennings on his knees in the snow from John Carpenter's version on the front of the steel? Really dont remember a scene like that from the prequel.

And yes, the cgi left alot to be desired. It looked like cgi, and that's a huge problem. The greater sadness in that is that the intention was to go with the same puppetry used in the first, with cgi only used as filler. And in what can only be considered one of the greatest egregious errors in the history of sci fi itself, they decided to completely cover up the puppetry and cgi the entire film.

There is a great video on this revelation that almost brought me to tears thinking what should have been. I tried to find it to tag here but need to do a little more looking.

Like Justice League's Snyder cut, I sure wish the prequel would be released with its original, and surely superior, FX.