The Wailing (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Korea]

Feb 21, 2017
Release date: January 16, 2020
Purchase links: Kimchi Type A - Type B - Lenti - 1/4 Slip - Nova Type A - Type B - Lenti - 1/4 Slip (Pre-order January 7, at 2 PM - Korea time)
Price: $41.99 (Type A - Type B) - $42.99 (Lenti) - $36.99 (1/4 Slip Nova) - $37.99 (1/4 Slip Kimchi)
Notes: Type A 1400 copies - Type B 900 copies - Lenti 1400 copies - 1/4 Slip 300 copies

Type A - Type B - Lenti - 1/4 Slip

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 99% on rotten tomatoes so uh.. I really don't know what else to tell you. The film has a following the same way both those films do and is well regarded by a lot of movie fans in general not just horror fans. I don't know why people have to be so defensive lol you're free not to like the film even hate it if you so wish.. just not sure why if you dislike it so much you feel compelled to hang around a thread for it just to keep making it clear you don't like it. We understand. :)

Haters gonna hate. There is a reason why Hollywood keep churning out garbages and the same movies get steelbook treatments over and over again

there’s no right and wrong. Some ppl just can’t accept foreign movies or non conventional ending / conclusion

But hey to us it’s their lost but to them, it’s a pretentious lot. I for one is grateful this is getting the premium releases and a steelbook to boot

With less demand internationally (hopefully), I might able to snag two editions

now where’s the steelbook release for a tale of two sisters, the chaser and the thirst

now where’s the steelbook release for a tale of two sisters, the chaser and the thirst
I need all 3 of them, too!

I don't care what others say about this movie. I really liked it. 8/10 for me. For me, it has a lot of layers and leaves some parts open to interpretation, kind of like endings to The Shining and Sopranos (to name more famous ones). The less people liking it though, will give me a higher chance of getting a copy on pre-order day :)

I'm just glad they cut the alternative/extended ending

So what’s everyone going for with this Korean hidden gem of 2016, personally Full Slip A will satisfy my appetite but that Lenti could turn out great as well and not really sure what to make of Full Slip B. This was such a well crafted multi layered tale that weaves under your skin that genuinely became unnerving at times with the 2 1/2hr runtime just flying by while I was trying to untangle the f**kery it kept pulling just when I thought I had it all figured out, it’s like it did it on purpose to challenge you to think harder of what truly was going on and that ending oh boy!! Oh and the cinematography wow so beautiful shot next level stuff right here. This is way better than 90% of what Hollywood puts out in the horror department these days so this was a breath of fresh air a very well made cerebral horror and one of the best in its sub genre that is obviously not for everyone lol.

1578045292248.gif

I don't care what others say about this movie. I really liked it. 8/10 for me. For me, it has a lot of layers and leaves some parts open to interpretation, kind of like endings to The Shining and Sopranos (to name more famous ones). The less people liking it though, will give me a higher chance of getting a copy on pre-order day :)

Totally agree :thumbs: thanks for the link as I haven’t seen it so will have to check it out once I’ve got some free time but sounds like we dodged a bullet by missing out on this alternative ending.

Yeah I'm glad they didn't go with this either.. leaving it more ambiguous (in some respects) was the right call and is what helps give the audience more to think about.

I'm probably going to grab all 3 and leave the 1/4 slip. My prediction is if any sell out it'll be the lenti first and full slip b will last the longest because it's not typical key art with faces/identifiable imagery. Hope everyone manages to get the ones they want. ;)

Reactions: willbar84
Some ppl just can’t accept foreign movies or non conventional ending / conclusion
Oh come on. I think it's been made very clear in this thread as to why those that didn't like the film, didn't like it. And it's absolutely nothing to do with those two points.

Some of my favourite films of all time are foreign language. One of them being I Saw The Devil...... :rolleyes:

Totally agree :thumbs: thanks for the link as I haven’t seen it so will have to check it out once I’ve got some free time but sounds like we dodged a bullet by missing out on this alternative ending.
Just putting spoiler for general purposes, not a spoiler for people who have seen the movie.
I think if it was added it would have affected the pacing a little too more than anything. I also think him enticing the kid in-front of her parents is a bit weird, thought he'd always do it without the parents around. I didn't like the good woman/angel/spirit character just standing there at the end. Why? Is she going to chase him? Is she just showing that she won protecting her town? I think she's a good spirit protecting that specific town and it sort of suggests she's not finished her business with him and could transfer into someone else to chase him. IDK, just more questions to think about. There's enough in the movie already :D

• Thanks
Reactions: willbar84
just see you pics. I want that version now lol. So it has English subs for the Swedish parts?

@Flloydo good question... Just checked yesterday if the french subs were forced or not. but i didn't watch the movie on blu-ray so far.
didn't thought about that... Since there is only french subs available, i'm afraid there wont be english subs for the Swedish part...
I will check this and let you and @BluSteel2012 know !

Just putting spoiler for general purposes, not a spoiler for people who have seen the movie.
I think if it was added it would have affected the pacing a little too more than anything. I also think him enticing the kid in-front of her parents is a bit weird, thought he'd always do it without the parents around. I didn't like the good woman/angel/spirit character just standing there at the end. Why? Is she going to chase him? Is she just showing that she won protecting her town? I think she's a good spirit protecting that specific town and it sort of suggests she's not finished her business with him and could transfer into someone else to chase him. IDK, just more questions to think about. There's enough in the movie already :D

Here's some thoughts to consider when you see it again

Next time you watch it, Try watching from the point of view that the woman is in fact the evil one and the Japanese shaman is a victim of rumors and hearsay as they try to lynch him for being an outsider and not understanding that his ritual was actually trying to cast the evil/possession out of the daughter and was interrupted by the shaman from the city before he was able to complete it and save her. The fun is in the amount of ways you can look at the events but I quite like this one because there's enough evidence to suggest it could be true.. for example if he had succeeded with his ritual in trying to resurrect the dead guy in the van why was he running around terrfied afterwards?

Also many times you see the woman in white, she's holding onto items of someone who has been killed/is going to be possessed.. you see her wearing the green jacket of the dead guy in the van, a cardigan from a girl who was killed and she also ends up holding onto the daughter's hairclip. Whether in possession or to cast it out, practioners need a personal item from the person they're going after. Another little detail I recall is the daughter having 'nightmares' where someone is banging on the door and trying to get in.. the father experiences what he thinks are nightmares too and wakes up in terror telling the 'dirty *****' to get away from him. You could read both as attempts at trying to possess them. As far as I recall the city shaman also at one oint is afraid because he realises he was targetting the wrong spirit. To that end the Japanese shaman doesn't actually seem to be a spirit since everyone in town and at the market place can see him wheras the the woman in white hides out in the woods and only reveals herself to certain people.

Not claiming this is the only real way to read the film of course but I like it because it makes the ending feel like you've been tricked into thinking you've figured it out.. which is really what the film is all about; who to trust and who's deceiving who

My opinion is that this movie is very good. At least is very good in creating questions and putting doubts in who watches it, without giving a definite answer to them -- not even in the end. There are surely good and evil -- to put in a very simple and rough way -- confronting allover the film, yet you can't pin down once and for all which character represents which of the two sides. I have my interpretation on each character of course but others' can be different since you have to put a lot of yourself in order to have a clear vision of the scheme. Needless to say, this can turn out also in a frustrating experience.

Try watching from the point of view that the woman is in fact the evil one and the Japanese shaman is a victim of rumors and hearsay as they try to lynch him for being an outsider and not understanding that his ritual was actually trying to cast the evil/possession out of the daughter and was interrupted by the shaman from the city before he was able to complete it and save her.
I actually haven't watched this since it came out, but this is how I initially thought of it. I also thought that all of the scenes with the Japanese going crazy were dreams/hallucinations embedded into the minds of people by the evil spirit, this thought has changed over time though. I need to watch it again, but can't fully remember the first interaction between the woman and the police with the whole "he who casts the first stone" vibe, but my thinking of her is that she is originally a protector of the forest or area/village and confronts spirits that enter from elsewhere. The shaman and Japanese guy's relationship is the most complex and the editing in the movie doesn't help give a definite answer and I often switch between theories. I'm in work atm, so a bit distracted but can probably expand on thoughts at another date... probably when I receive one of these steels :D

Reactions: Last Lizard
oh i don't mean you :) in fact reading back, i think i did some form of generalising which is always not good. my bad

just my observation on the general public and close friends around me who only watches big bang Hollywood productions

cheers

Oh come on. I think it's been made very clear in this thread as to why those that didn't like the film, didn't like it. And it's absolutely nothing to do with those two points.

Some of my favourite films of all time are foreign language. One of them being I Saw The Devil...... :rolleyes:

wow thanks for that. didn't know there's an alternate cut

plan to rewatch this release and then only will watch the alternate cut

like someone mentioned above, one of the appeal of this movie is the unpredictable-ness. Just when i thought i figure out the next scene, it hits you in the gut

I'm sure all of us watch a lot of movies to the point that it becomes pretty bland and predictable even midsommer (pretty much guessed that the "protagonist" will turn)

@davhyl I just have just seen the alternate ending...
TOO BAD i didn't knew about this before... i would have love to ask the director what's the story behind this scene, was it a producers' request ? why was it cut ? did this cut made it in some countries ?
with this ending, there is not much room for interpretation, so what i wonder is : can we just base our analyse and comprehension of the ACTUAL movie using the info's provided in THIS ending ? If yes, then there is not much room for interpretation "anymore" cause WITHOUT this ending, the possiblities were near endless...

Now, that said, if you guys can stop replying on this thread until the preorder date +1, i would like to avoid this movie/release to gain too much interest before i can secure my copies. thanks in advance for your cooperation. ;)

wow thanks for that. didn't know there's an alternate cut
plan to rewatch this release and then only will watch the alternate cut
I think you have misread. It is a 2 minute scene that they cut from the end of the movie. It didn't make the final cut

I agree @Jocelin from viewing the additional scene, I can only assume it was an editing choice to leave it out, maybe from different reaction screenings, maybe his feelings after it was all finished, I don't know. But yeah, would have been interesting to know why

director's commentary is english subtitled anyways so maybe they'll mention it in there to find out more. Don't quite agree though that the ending has things all sewn up..

the Japanese 'Oni' as he appears to be revealed says to the priest something to the effect of you've already made up your mind about me.. you came here with a sickle to kill me because you believe everyone else that I'm a demon. I feel like the soul of the priest was clearly also hanging in the balance not just the main family's. Close to the end similarly the woman in white's appearance changes when she gets close enough to the protagonist to try and touch him. I feel there's still room left for you to bring your own ideas to it.. and even moreso with what the city shaman was up to since he takes some photos of his own but we don't really find out why.

Watched the first half of this last night and am hoping to watch the second half later today. I'm enjoying it so far... not quite what I expected, so certain things came as a bit of a surprise (in a good way, I think). Didn't realise it would have a bit of humour to it either... unless it doesn't and I'm just messed up for finding it funny lol. The slip designs are starting to make a lot more sense to me now anyway, apart from the psychedelic fruit one - not that I'd go for that particular slip anyway, as it's my least favourite design.

Hmm thought it went a little down hill in the second half... was almost like a different film. Still not bad overall though IMO, and definitely not worth the amount of hate it's received in here. Not sure I'd be in a rush to rewatch it however, so I'll pass for now and maybe pick it up if there's ever a price drop.

Hmm, not sure what folks were expecting from a supernatural film culturally significant to a few but I do believe it has gained a large following of appreciative fans.
There's only one thing I would have changed in the film (not the ending), as I saw it coming but was hoping for a deeper twist that would have negated the scene reveal.

(The two men in the cave....)
Ah, well, not enough for me to lower my estimations of the films incredible accomplishments.
I very much enjoyed a second viewing of this flik, as I was able to piece together clues I missed the 1st time.
Make no mistake, this is an investigative thriller as much as it is a spooky-tooth.

If one is, to a degree unsatisfied with the film, I'd suggest a 2nd viewing. You may find a stronger appreciation for your trouble. :)
I'll be watching it a 3rd time on arrival of the Steel.

Last edited: