The Wailing (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Korea]

Feb 21, 2017
Release date: January 16, 2020
Purchase links: Kimchi Type A - Type B - Lenti - 1/4 Slip - Nova Type A - Type B - Lenti - 1/4 Slip (Pre-order January 7, at 2 PM - Korea time)
Price: $41.99 (Type A - Type B) - $42.99 (Lenti) - $36.99 (1/4 Slip Nova) - $37.99 (1/4 Slip Kimchi)
Notes: Type A 1400 copies - Type B 900 copies - Lenti 1400 copies - 1/4 Slip 300 copies

Type A - Type B - Lenti - 1/4 Slip

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my personal problem with most of these Asian 'horror' movies. I don't want a 'dumb but fun' horror movie. I just want a plain horror movie.

The culture doesn't fransfer over to the western world a lot of the time on film. I do always allow for this. But somebody crying (completely over the top I might add) the whole time or bumbling around comedically just isn't funny to me. It just gets extremely irritating very fast and takes me out of the movie

The entire genre is littered with histrionics it's part of the design to get people going.. did the dinner table scene and the wild screeching take you out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre? What about Shelley Duval's crying in The Shining? I'm not really using these examples to try and prop The Wailing alongside them in status, just saying it's forever been a staple in horror genre to have people go over the top to convey their character's emotions.

I also don't even know what you're referring to by 'dumb but fun asian horror'. What's 'dumb but fun' in A Tale of Two Sisters, Ugetsu Monogatari, The Eye, Curse, Onibaba, Audition, Spider Forest etc. If you're talking about the wave of ghost girls with long hair movies then yeah that's one slice that gained popularity.. but that's not all they have to offer. Pound for pound I see far dumber horror movies produced in Hollywood than anywhere else.. for every Hereditary there's 50 Final Destinations.

The entire genre is littered with histrionics it's part of the design to get people going.. did the dinner table scene and the wild screeching take you out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre? What about Shelley Duval's crying in The Shining? I'm not really using these examples to try and prop The Wailing alongside them in status, just saying it's forever been a staple in horror genre to have people go over the top to convey their character's emotions.

I also don't even know what you're referring to by 'dumb but fun asian horror'. What's 'dumb but fun' in A Tale of Two Sisters, Ugetsu Monogatari, The Eye, Curse, Onibaba, Audition, Spider Forest etc. If you're talking about the wave of ghost girls with long hair movies then yeah that's one slice that gained popularity.. but that's not all they have to offer. Pound for pound I see far dumber horror movies produced in Hollywood than anywhere else.. for every Hereditary there's 50 Final Destinations.

I thought my post was clear, "the pool" was dumb but fun. Apologies for any misundertandings !
BTW Hereditary and Midsommar must be one of the few "hollywood" (read american) horror movies i really liked a LOT

Reactions: Last Lizard
did the dinner table scene and the wild screeching take you out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre? What about Shelley Duval's crying in The Shining? I'm not really using these examples to try and prop The Wailing alongside them in status, just saying it's forever been a staple in horror genre to have people go over the top to convey their character's emotions.

Good. Because you just cannot even mention this film in the same sentence as those two Icons of cinema horror........ :rolleyes:

Reactions: StifflersDad
I see it's a bit of a lengthy film, so I'm not exactly sure when I'll get around to watching it, but I'll try not to leave you waiting too long!

Had it on my Netflix list for ages and just haven’t got around to it yet.

On a side note, and completely different film, but I hope we get some cool premium steel package of The Lighthouse from PA or manta or somewhere. Incredible film, acting, score, cinematography and story. Midsommar too. 2 of my favourites from last year

Good. Because you just cannot even mention this film in the same sentence as those two Icons of cinema horror........ :rolleyes:

It's 99% on rotten tomatoes so uh.. I really don't know what else to tell you. The film has a following the same way both those films do and is well regarded by a lot of movie fans in general not just horror fans. I don't know why people have to be so defensive lol you're free not to like the film even hate it if you so wish.. just not sure why if you dislike it so much you feel compelled to hang around a thread for it just to keep making it clear you don't like it. We understand. :)

Had it on my Netflix list for ages and just haven’t got around to it yet.

On a side note, and completely different film, but I hope we get some cool premium steel package of The Lighthouse from PA or manta or somewhere. Incredible film, acting, score, cinematography and story. Midsommar too. 2 of my favourites from last year
I can't believe there hasn't been a steelbook for Midsommar.

Looking forward to checking out The Lighthouse. Keep hearing good things about it.

Reactions: Flloydo
It's 99% on rotten tomatoes so uh.. I really don't know what else to tell you. The film has a following the same way both those films do and is well regarded by a lot of movie fans in general not just horror fans. I don't know why people have to be so defensive lol you're free not to like the film even hate it if you so wish.. just not sure why if you dislike it so much you feel compelled to hang around a thread for it just to keep making it clear you don't like it. We understand. :)
Well I sense me and some others not liking this and holding it on a pedestal like yourself has got your panties in a bunch!

Reactions: St4rlord

Looking forward to checking out The Lighthouse. Keep hearing good things about it.

@BluSteel2012 saw the pics i uploaded for you on the midsommar digipack thread ? Cardboard could have been a bit thicker. Otherwise nice digipack and features the longer cut.

Last edited:

yea I agree. We got one for hereditary. Shame we didn’t for midsommar. I loved it.

Ah man, the lighthouse has won me over on Patterson. Both him and Defoe are amazing in this. It’s the same director as the VVitch, which I loved but found the lighthouse better. The language is easier to understand (not that it bothered me with the witch) but the way it’s filmed and the claustrophobic element just works so well with it. There’s a few scenes where both their acting explodes onto each other and it’s a joy to watch. Some of the best acting I’ve seen in 2019. It won’t be for everyone but I enjoyed every second

Box is in french
NO forced subs on both movies
Extras in english WITH Forced subs

just see you pics. I want that version now lol. So it has English subs for the Swedish parts?

It appears that u are the one who is defensive.
Has anyone criticised you personally for liking the film??
So just grow up.
I will if I want come on this thread everyday to destroy this awful pretentious movie.
Feel free to praise it every day