The Wailing (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Korea]

Feb 21, 2017
Release date: January 16, 2020
Purchase links: Kimchi Type A - Type B - Lenti - 1/4 Slip - Nova Type A - Type B - Lenti - 1/4 Slip (Pre-order January 7, at 2 PM - Korea time)
Price: $41.99 (Type A - Type B) - $42.99 (Lenti) - $36.99 (1/4 Slip Nova) - $37.99 (1/4 Slip Kimchi)
Notes: Type A 1400 copies - Type B 900 copies - Lenti 1400 copies - 1/4 Slip 300 copies

Type A - Type B - Lenti - 1/4 Slip

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Noodles if you have Netflix this is currently on it.

If you wanted to 'try before you buy'.....?
Just finished watching this on Netflix.

Those that liked this - good for you.

Personally I found this hugely overrated, disjointed, pretentious and ultimately deeply unsatisfying. Never mind ever watching it again I actually deeply regret the time I wasted watching it the first time.

Personally I found this hugely overrated, disjointed, pretentious and ultimately deeply unsatisfying. Never mind ever watching it again I actually deeply regret the time I wasted watching it the first time.
so..... which edition will you go for?

:p

• Haha
Reactions: Last Lizard
I've been a big fan of Asian horror since the J-horror boom with the Ring movies. From day-one the Korean "horror" films were always more cerebral. Every one had a twist or complex plot that made you think for days after and seemed to favour that over actual horror elements. I think that's the best way to go in to a film like this - don't go in expecting the greatest film ever made, or the scariest horror film, just go in to it with an open mind knowing it will have some horror elements, some comedy, some drama, some nice cinematography.

Reactions: willbar84

Like every movie some people will like it, some don't. I like it for both you and me so i does not matter...;)

Reactions: StifflersDad
I've been a big fan of Asian horror since the J-horror boom with the Ring movies. From day-one the Korean "horror" films were always more cerebral. Every one had a twist or complex plot that made you think for days after and seemed to favour that over actual horror elements. I think that's the best way to go in to a film like this - don't go in expecting the greatest film ever made, or the scariest horror film, just go in to it with an open mind knowing it will have some horror elements, some comedy, some drama, some nice cinematography.

@Zagreus same here, the first ring was awesome. Aso because the genre was not flooded as it was a couple of years ago. Same refreshing release as "scream" was back in the days, and for the obvious same reasons.

@Zagreus same here, the first ring was awesome. Aso because the genre was not flooded as it was a couple of years ago. Same refreshing release as "scream" was back in the days, and for the obvious same reasons.
I think that's what is good about Korean horror having more complex tales with plot twists as such; they're not as repetitive as the J-horrors became. Japan (and America through its remakes) really ran the idea of vengeful ghosts in to the ground, but Korean horror tends to have something unique about each of their films. Although in recent years now the craze has died down and it is hard to fina ANY new Japanese or Korean horrors, Thailand has stepped up to produce some really good films.

The Wailing was a really interesting film, kinda reminded me of David Lynch or Kyoshi Kurosawa movie in that it's a brutal realistic, yet arty film with off beat humour sprinkled throughout and a dash or horror.

@Zagreus agree with yiu 100% J horror started the new era of asian horror in early 90's but has been years since i bought a J horror movie. Korea was the best until a few years ago and now indeed some other countries are rising like Taiwan and Mon Mon Mon Monsters or the pool from Thailand (dumb but fun)

Reactions: Zagreus
@Zagreus Korea was the best until a few years ago and now indeed some other countries are rising like Taiwan and Mon Mon Mon Monsters or the pool from Thailand (dumb but fun)

This is my personal problem with most of these Asian 'horror' movies. I don't want a 'dumb but fun' horror movie. I just want a plain horror movie.

The culture doesn't fransfer over to the western world a lot of the time on film. I do always allow for this. But somebody crying (completely over the top I might add) the whole time or bumbling around comedically just isn't funny to me. It just gets extremely irritating very fast and takes me out of the movie

Reactions: StifflersDad