The Wailing (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Korea]

Feb 21, 2017
Release date: January 16, 2020
Purchase links: Kimchi Type A - Type B - Lenti - 1/4 Slip - Nova Type A - Type B - Lenti - 1/4 Slip (Pre-order January 7, at 2 PM - Korea time)
Price: $41.99 (Type A - Type B) - $42.99 (Lenti) - $36.99 (1/4 Slip Nova) - $37.99 (1/4 Slip Kimchi)
Notes: Type A 1400 copies - Type B 900 copies - Lenti 1400 copies - 1/4 Slip 300 copies

Type A - Type B - Lenti - 1/4 Slip

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rare for me to really like every edition of any release but I dig all of these. I think I'll have to at least get both fullslips and the lenti. :naughty:

Is the multicoloured version taken from an official poster or just made up for this release? It's nice in it's own way, but I can't really remember any moments in the film when things turned psychedelic, so not sure it reflects the film.

Are these releases usually English-friendly in terms of subtitles?

No there are no shots like this in the film. The actual contents in the shot do reflect the feel of the film quite well though imo.

i agree.. kinda want it despite not really liking the movie too much

Give it another chance and try approaching from a different perspective. I was in the same boat as you after the first time I saw it I was quite disappointed.. but I watched it again from a different point of view - which I feel like the film is fully open to and encourages you to do -
i.e whoever you thought was "evil" first time through (the film encourages you to think it's the Japanese outsider) try seeing him or the Shaman or the girl or even the Priest as the main antagonist and I feel like you can get alot of different reads out of the film. It's quite rewatchable in this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hatredhorror
Rare for me to really like every edition of any release but I dig all of these. I think I'll have to at least get both fullslips and the lenti. :naughty:

No there are no shots like this in the film. The actual contents in the shot do reflect the feel of the film quite well though imo.

Give it another chance and try approaching from a different perspective. I was in the same boat as you after the first time I saw it I was quite disappointed.. but I watched it again from a different point of view - which I feel like the film is fully open to and encourages you to do - i.e whoever you thought was "evil" first time through (the film encourages you to think it's the Japanese outsider) try seeing him or the Shaman or the girl or even the Priest as the main antagonist and I feel like you can get alot of different reads out of the film. It's quite rewatchable in this way.

@Last Lizard I think you give way too much info about the characters for the people who have not seen the movie yet. Next to that i disagree with your analyse, i don't think the movie encourage you in any directions, you as a person can have this impression based on you own thoughts and believes. This is why this movie is so strong, it is what YOU make of it. There is a lot of different ways to understand it, and most of them are as valid as the others...I actually think that the only thing that is safe to consider a fact is that : evil is a question of circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: milky
Honestly I don't think I gave away too much at all because like I said I feel like it tries to lead you down a certain path but really the srength of the film is in the tricks it plays and how you'll question the path you're taking. Despite certain aspects of the ending.. it really refuses to come out and tell you in a a matter of fact way exactly what anyone's role was in it all. @Jocelin I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.. I'm saying the same as you the film wants you want to make your own decision about it and re-examine it.. I'm just saying that if you watch it the first time, you're naturally made to follow the protagonist and encouraged to follow his beliefs to an extent. They try to lead you down a simple road but it's actually alot more complex by the end.

Reactions: Jocelin
I agree with folks, this is a tricky and to a degree, complex film.
On 1st viewing (I've had the WellGo amaray for some time), I was scratching my head...wha?... but...who...?
On 2nd viewing, the bread-crumbs started to appear and I could see the intricacies involved start to become evident.
For these reasons, I think it's one of the smarter spookys I've watched in years and very much enjoy the film.
I'll be picking up both the Lenti and one of the FS, not sure which one yet. :thumbs:

Honestly, I think I'll blind-buy it after all... I've been on a good run with watching amazing Asian films lately and can't get enough of them, so I'm really in the mood to check this out! Plus these edition looks great. :drool:
I'd check it out first if I were you. I found this film extremely overrated.

It's starts OK but drags by the end. Its about an hour too long IMO.

Beautifully shot, but definitely not something I'd watch again.

Also, is it called The Wailing because the main character doesn't stop crying throughout the film?!! :LOL:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Noodles
Sorry if this been off topic, I really like the Wailing but hope there’d be any retailers doing premium of Parasite, watched it a few days back and loved it! considered how everybody’s been taking about Parasite but seems it’s really quiet for steelbook community what I only found was FR steelbook... I just hope Plain Archive would do WEA out of this one...

Sorry if this been off topic, I really like the Wailing but hope there’d be any retailers doing premium of Parasite, watched it a few days back and loved it! considered how everybody’s been taking about Parasite but seems it’s really quiet for steelbook community what I only found was FR steelbook... I just hope Plain Archive would do WEA out of this one...

I am sure some will do premium. Just give it a little time.

Plain Archive designed the art for another region only, they won't be handling the korean release of Parasite on Blu.. unless they perhaps get the chance to do it down the line after the initial release. We can still hope for a Nova or Kimchi exclusive release though of the film.. it's such a success it would be really weird if all we see is a CJ digipak.

I hope you are right but i think you underestimate the interrest in this movie.

Just a guess but yeah I don't think it'll go instantly, fair enough it's no DC/Marvel release but we've been waiting a long time for a good collector's release of this film so I could see it sell out eventually.. at the very least I expect to see the lenticular vanish first. Subbed commentaries discussing the intricacies of the film is also a selling point for those collectors who actually like to open and enjoy their goods. ;)

I''ll be happy if pre-ordering is drama free for people at least.I don't pay enough attetion these days though to know just how fast even the most popular releases sell out nevermind the more niche (compared to blockbusters) releases.. are we past the era where hot items go instantly and we find them hanging around a while?

Reactions: Jocelin