Sep 23, 2013
Release date: May 23, 2018
Purchase link: Amazon.it
Price: €18.10

Immagine.jpg

Immagine2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dano
Does anyone know who the artist is? I assume it's the same person who also did the artwork for the recent The Birds release. Personally, I'm a big fan of this style, so hope to see them continue. Fingers crossed for Rear Window next!
No, I can't find anything about who's doing the art for any of these. I wish the manufacturers/sellers would be more upfront about this. Not everyone cares, but for some of us it's an interesting extra detail.

As for what's next, my guess would be North by Northwest, simply because it's already had a steelbook, and we most often seem to get new steelbooks for titles that have already been done. :)

It's worth mentioning here that Vertigo is coming to theaters again on March 18 and 21 for its 60th anniversary. It's a great experience on the big screen. Details here.

By the way, @virkia, I'm thinking of getting you this t-shirt for your birthday. What's your size?

ra,raglan,x1950,white_navy,front-c,160,90,1000,1000-bg,f8f8f8.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Of course quite possible that the next VERTIGO steelbook release will be more in keeping with the stunning original poster art of one of the earlier Hitch steelbooks - NORTH BY NORTHWEST (and like some of those other original poster designs from five years ago):-
upload_2018-2-1_12-49-16.png
upload_2018-2-1_12-53-57.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for this VERTIGO one sheet poster: easily the most famous and recognisable of all the posters for this film and probably the logical choice for the front of a Poster Artwork VERTIGO steelbook . . . surprisingly just happens to be the only Saul Bass designed poster for Hitchcock films. Was also originally more red than orange . . . and more the colour of the upcoming VERTIGO steelbook (lol).
Several poster designs incorporating the "lissajous swirl" pattern (reminding me a lot of the patterns I used to create with my Spirograph set as a nipper) created by filmmaker John Whitney and with silhouette figures drawn by Art Goodman but this is the most famous and most featured in the early advertising . . . yet was ironically blamed for the poor box-office as too abstract.
A bunch of other posters followed with the stars included in the design but for international territories there's very little sign of the abstract poster . . . with the Italian expressionist poster one of my favourites (along with the Saul Bass):-
upload_2018-2-1_12-55-19.png
upload_2018-2-1_13-20-21.png
upload_2018-2-1_13-32-33.png
upload_2018-2-1_14-2-58.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a line of classic Poster Art steelbooks is considered in the future there are plenty of choices . . . including:-
upload_2018-2-1_12-57-54.png
upload_2018-2-1_14-14-48.png
upload_2018-2-1_14-15-31.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DIAL"M" FOR MURDER:-
upload_2018-2-1_14-22-24.png
and so on ........
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 1963 Czech VERTIGO poster courtesy Roman Cieslewicz cleverly incorporating Bass's design with the finger prints.-
images-w1400.jpg

^ Nice adaptation
More red needed on the Saul Bass artwork and on the Italian poster, though . . . more like the original poster colour than the faded orange we are used to seeing.
upload_2018-2-11_21-41-9.png
upload_2018-2-11_21-37-34.png

==================================================================
upload_2018-2-11_21-25-42.png

Release date: May 23, 2018
Order link: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B079MGCL25/?tag=hidefnin0f-21
Price: €18.10

Yes, the first steelbook for VERTIGO and going by previous Hitch steelbooks - thinking of the Big Two PSYCHO and THE BIRDS - may not be the last . . . with the second release less likely to frighten the horses than this one and probably with original poster images.

Last edited:
Reactions: ethnosax
I love that Italian poster, and I don't remember seeing it before. It was too tempting to try to use that in a steelbook concept, so here's what I've come up with:

View attachment 356273

I'd be very happy with something like this.
Very well done :thumbs:
If this was the artwork it would be a 100% purchase I would pre order and not even wait for a price drop

Reactions: ethnosax
Somehow I think we're going to be left with the pile of **** they are offering... Another potential buy out the window (and I don't mean Rear Window)

I love that Italian poster, and I don't remember seeing it before. It was too tempting to try to use that in a steelbook concept, so here's what I've come up with:

View attachment 356273

I'd be very happy with something like this.

That's exactly how a Hitchcock steel should look. It's such a shame that most steelbooks of his films feature pretentious modern art crap rather than something that actually suits the film & era.

The art is....um....yeah. Pretty much non compliant to my hopes. As a Hitchcock nut I beg for all his films on steel, so I'll most probably get this anyway. This was the 2nd Hitchcock movie I ever saw (after The Birds) thanks to my older brother cluing me in to all things cool and worthy.

I have to be honest, I love this artwork. Hoping for a whole run of fresh reimagined artwork for a whole Hitchcock series. If this and The Birds are anything to go buy, it would be a great looking set.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jimbo74