White Knight Chronicles Megathread - FREE DLC MISSIONS!

Jan 29, 2009
White Knight Chronicles is a role-playing video game developed by Level-5 and published by Sony Computer Entertainment for the PlayStation 3 which was released in Japan on December 25, 2008. It is Level-5's first project for the system. As per the playable demo at the 2007 Tokyo Game Show, some enemies are extremely large in size, in one piece of concept artwork, a massive turtle-like creature is depicted carrying an entire city on its back.

51foCcjGnYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

White Knight Chronicles, like most other console RPGs, is presented in third-person perspective. The player can freely choose which character to control. Like any other RPG, the characters gain experience points and level up, becoming stronger over the course of the game. Level-5 plans to make White Knight Chronicles a 100 hours game, a length Akihiro Hino considers to be a full length RPG, going against the pressure to make White Knight Chronicles a launch title and cutting the story short.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to know the release date too! I played for about 30 mins at E3 and could not bring down that damn monster! :) the game is fun so I can't wait!

very excited about this game! i keep forgetting about it to be honest then i read something about it and get stoked.

i hope it'll be like a valkyria chronicles, in the sense that it'll be under-hyped yet be an awesome game worthy of AAA status.

White Knight Chronicles is really quiet a game. Not only are you able to create your own heroes in this game from TONS of options, but one thing that i'd never seen before that I really liked was your ability to create combos.

And I don't mean like in mortal kombat where you just hit random buttons and stuff happens.

There's actually a combo creator menu. You go in there and you add moves into a list. Such as slashes, vertical strikes, etc. Then once your combo is complete you go to the main screen and you'll see it listed at the bottom as shown here.

IMG_1189.jpg

Those little blue squares are used in the process of using the combo. You have to collect those by killing enemies. It's pretty cool.

I didn't get to get into the character creator too much, but from what I understand you don't actually create the main character, you create a character that is going to help him complete his task.

The controls are smooth, and the graphics are definitely PS3 worthy. The enemies span the range from very final fantasy cutesy enemies such as the "kibble", to unique enemies such as the Treant.

I really think this game is going to sell well, and for those of you that enjoy the main final fantasy series I definitely think this is a game for you.

I wish I would have had the chance to have a little more hands-on time during Comic Con, but it was pretty packed. I'm just writing this little tidbit in order to keep the game in your minds, as I think it's going to be a great addition to the PS3 family.

Online features

White Knight Chronicles is a robust role-playing game with many features, therefore to unlock online multiplayer players are required to complete the first chapter of the Story Mode, which takes a couple hours said Level-5. Playing through the first chapter of the story mode will familiarize you with White Knight Chronicles' play style and prepare you for the three modes online multiplayer has to offer.

The first of these three online modes is called GeoNet, a social networking platform from within the game. GeoNet is similar to a Myspace or Facebook account where you can exchange mail with friends, customize your profile, and write blog entries. GeoNet is a great way to connect with other White Knight Chronicle players.

The second of the online multiplayer modes is Georama, a level editor of sorts that allows you to create your very own town for other players to visit. There are three environments to start building your town in. The plains, desert, and wilderness environments also have sub environments that actually give you more variety to choose from. To build your town you can construct buildings, fencing, statues, etc., and even place foliage like grass and trees. Once you build some shops in your town, you can recruit NPCs from the Story Mode to live in your town and then start inviting real friends into your customized town to shop and play.

Finally, the third mode of online play is called Subquesting. The basic concept of Subquesting is cooperative play for four players. Subquesting is separate from the Story Mode, and features an experience point system that increases your Guild Rank as you play and earn points. Increase your Guild Rank to earn bigger and better weapons.

As the Tokyo Game Show demonstration of White Knight Chronicle's online modes ended, Level-5 concluded by announcing that the U.S. and European versions of the game will feature voice chat communication and Live Chat, a feature in the game where the characters talk to one another about what's going on in any particular scene. From what we could understand, Live Chat is similar to when the characters in Left 4 Dead call out ammo locations and first-aid kits when you find them.

source: gamepro.com/article/previews/212254/white-knight-chronicles-online-features-tgs-preview/

White Knight Chronicles online system explained

Level-5 has provided details to Sony via the PlayStation Blog about the online component of its upcoming RPG White Knight Chronicles. Once a player completes Chapter One in the story mode, they will gain access to the online section, which includes three facets of play – GeoNet, Georama, and Subquests.

Here’s an explanation of the three online modes:

The GeoNet is a social networking service for players who are online. You can meet and interact with other players in order to perform together in multiplayer quests.

Georama allows you to design your own HomeTown, which is a lobby for the online mode and contains three different fields for 18 different building combinations. You can pretty much modify everything in your HomeTown, including hedge mazes of pixel art. You can also recruit NPCs from the story mode to live in your town and you can give them a job.

The Subquest feature has you take control of your own avatar. As the story unfolds, more quests will become available and you will accumulate points which will build your guild rank. The higher you rank, the more quests and weapons are available for you. There will be 50 subquests available at launch, and Level-5 promises new ones will be added.

Voice chat has been confirmed, and the feature will be patched into the original Japanese version in the future. An additional exclusive feature for North American and European gamers is the Rogue Galaxy’s Live Talk feature. This feature, which is part of the voice chat, allows characters to issue a “huge variety” of context-specific commentary as quests unfold.

All the Japanese updates will be available on the North American and European version when it’s released in the spring of 2010.