Wine Thread/Recommendations

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
wine-of-all-colors.jpg

Come here for all Wine related talk or requests for recommendations!

I know a bit about the grape, so I could offer some advice for those who are looking for some.

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you guys like?

my fav grape is cab sauv. lately ive really been getting into some spanish reds tho, specially rioja area. im also a fan of a good argentinian malbec.

for sweet whites, gotta go with a german riesling, preferrably from mosel. one of my favs for around $10 is Dr. L. on the other spectrum i like new zealand sauv blanc. had one awhile back, kim crawford, pretty good for around $15

We like several from Stone Hill Winery, Adam Puchta Winery, and St. James Winery.

We usually gravitate towards the semi-dry/semi-sweet, but have a hard time turning down a good reisling or muscato.

never had a muscato. usually not huge into sweet wines, riesling is about all i can handle and at most one glass of it.

up in northern wisconsin theres a winery called three lakes winery that specializes in desert wines. they have a ton of fruity desert wines that you guys would like if you are into them. don't know if they ship out of state tho. if you see it, their elderberry and cranberry are probably the best. elderberry is a little more tart if i remember right. also they have a plum that was my favorite of them all.

Can you offer some recommendations on stuff that I would probably be able to find at a local supermarket ? The liquor stores around here don't have much for wine, unless I go to another city 1 hr away.

If they have any Spanish wine, then you can't usually go wrong with a Rioja. The small label (like a stamp) on the back of the bottle denotes the quality. basically they go by colour - green is the youngest wine, then the stamps in 2 shades of red lighter and darker, Crianza (aged in oak) and Reserva (over 3 years old) and Gran Rerserva (over 5 years old). Another area which is always consistently good is Valdepeñas - hard to find a bad one!

The worst Spanish wine (in my opinion) is from the area where I live - Alicante Province, my advice is to avoid it like the plague!

Hope this helps...

never had a muscato. usually not huge into sweet wines, riesling is about all i can handle and at most one glass of it.

up in northern wisconsin theres a winery called three lakes winery that specializes in desert wines. they have a ton of fruity desert wines that you guys would like if you are into them. don't know if they ship out of state tho. if you see it, their elderberry and cranberry are probably the best. elderberry is a little more tart if i remember right. also they have a plum that was my favorite of them all.

We really aren't that big on the desert wines. We've tried a few, but they were just too sweet. The only one that was tolerable was one from a local place called "Ten Bucks". Ironically, the bottle cost us $12.

It's really hard to not like wines or beers that are aged in oak casks.

Last edited:
Someone gave me a wine from Chile once and it was the best wine I've had in my life. Now I can't remember the name lol :p. I saw it on Anthony Bourdain show again a few weeks back.