Genre: Fantasy, Action

Director: Patty Jenkins

Cast: Gal Gadot, Kristen Wiig, Pedro Pascal, Chris Pine

Release: 2020-08-14

Attachments

• thr_splash-wonderwomen-b.jpg
    thr_splash-wonderwomen-b.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,950
I'm thinking because it was conceived around the time of Stranger Things peak and the 80's retro thing was trendy at the time. But it's release was delayed so much since then.....

That's all I can think of!
When I heard the title 1984 for some reason I was expecting something to do with George Orwell or some connection to his book....

Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
Everyone else has pretty much already made most of the points I wanted to make, so no point in me repeating those. The film was laughably bad though... there were no real "WOW" moments and it all just felt very weak and unimpressive overall. Even found myself kinda disliking Gal/WW after a bit due to how cheesy and cringe some of her scenes were. Oh, and there were so many cool things they could've done with the 80s time period, but instead it was just used a backdrop and had no real influence on the story.

Reactions: Flloydo
Another excellent entry into the DCEU, WW84 has a different beat to the first with it feeling donner-esque at times while being more adventure driven this time around with the 80s serving as a key element plus dialling into a period that is coming out of the Carter-era of WW. The Amazon games was a great set piece to set up the theme of the film and then the double opener showing that Diana/WW hasn’t given up on humanity with a lighter tone used than the first movie. Loved watching Maxwell’s and Barbara’s characters develop throughout the movie with a great payoff towards the end. Zimmer’s score is once again outstanding and love the use of ‘beautiful lie’ that features in BvS. Never at any point did I feel the movie was to long and yes some not all of the action scenes did feel abit “campy” but they set out exactly what they were spose to do. The battle near the end with Cheetah was an epic fight and one of the highlights for me plus was such a breath of fresh air how Diana was able to restore order at the end of the film that is true to herself using the theme of the movie. I also see a lot of people throwing around the buzz word “cheesy” which couldn’t be further wrong as Patty has gone to great lengths to make this Wonder Woman film very sincere and felt that many times over. Yes the movie has its flaws and some of that has to do with the snake Geoff Johns involvement with the script but the positives far outweigh the negatives and definitely isn’t the dumpster fire a lot are labelling it. Will need repeat watching but as it currently stands this is an 8.5/10 for me.

Reactions: tridon
Everyone else has pretty much already made most of the points I wanted to make, so no point in me repeating those. The film was laughably bad though... there were no real "WOW" moments and it all just felt very weak and unimpressive overall. Even found myself kinda disliking Gal/WW after a bit due to how cheesy and cringe some of her scenes were. Oh, and there were so many cool things they could've done with the 80s time period, but instead it was just used a backdrop and had no real influence on the story.

Honestly man i Really wanted to love it. I was so badly looking forward to it and especially after watching the first one on the same night and realising how f**king good it is. This was just a shambles. The more I think about it the more it winds me up. Like mentioned in the film arena steelbook thread. The whole chip on her shoulder and moping around about Steve 66 years later is just laughable. Like seriously Diana? I mean the guys she has hitting on her are all a bit creepy, abusive, drunks and rapey but they can’t of all been like that. But yeah I also just started to hate Gal the more it went on which I really didn’t want to.

Also, how weird is it she sleeps with Steve but as the new guy lol. Like that’s a bit f**ked up. It has some really questionable decisions in this film.
And why does he have to appear as another guy? Why not just make him appear considering it’s magic that brings him back. Okay you pay a price for your wish but her price was loosing her powers. Why does he have to appear in another body/ vessel. So damn strange.

And if they didn’t do that because they were worried it wouldn’t be believable
Then that’s just weird too considering they are literally using a magic wishing stone as the key to the plot with someone swinging around on a whip latching on to lightening which also when it touches you makes you tell the truth and a woman gets turned into a crazy strong (and sexy) cat lol. I just can’t work out why he didn’t return as himself. When you got all that going on in a film then just do one more thing and make him magically appear. They could of still done the scene with her renouncing her wish and he disappears. Then they could of left out that weird scene where she bumps into the other guy and has that pointless little ‘ive now moved on after 66 years’!

Honestly man i Really wanted to love it. I was so badly looking forward to it and especially after watching the first one on the same night and realising how f**king good it is. This was just a shambles. The more I think about it the more it winds me up. Like mentioned in the film arena steelbook thread. The whole chip on her shoulder and moping around about Steve 66 years later is just laughable. Like seriously Diana? I mean the guys she has hitting on her are all a bit creepy, abusive, drunks and rapey but they can’t of all been like that. But yeah I also just started to hate Gal the more it went on which I really didn’t want to.

Also, how weird is it she sleeps with Steve but as the new guy lol. Like that’s a bit f**ked up. It has some really questionable decisions in this film.
And why does he have to appear as another guy? Why not just make him appear considering it’s magic that brings him back. Okay you pay a price for your wish but her price was loosing her powers. Why does he have to appear in another body/ vessel. So damn strange.

Then that’s just weird too considering they are literally using a magic wishing stone as the key to the plot with someone swinging around on a whip latching on to lightening which also when it touches you makes you tell the truth and a woman gets turned into a crazy strong (and sexy) cat lol. I just can’t work out why he didn’t return as himself. When you got all that going on in a film then just do one more thing and make him magically appear. They could of still done the scene with her renouncing her wish and he disappears. Then they could of left out that weird scene where she bumps into the other guy and has that pointless little ‘ive now moved on after 66 years’!
Haha that kinda baffled me too... talk about clingy lol. The way the wishes worked definitely didn't quite add up at times... like you said, why did Steve have to appear as someone else? It's almost as if they ran with that idea just so they could lump in the "sweet" and unnecessary scene at the end. Speaking of unnecessary, there were tons of moments they could've easily done without to shave the runtime down - can't believe they spent half the movie introducing such cliched characters (Cheetah felt like a budget retelling of Selina Kyle/Catwoman from Batman Returns). The more I think about the movie, the more it makes me laugh... soooo many continuity errors, and the action sequences were honestly pathetic IMO. I actually wasn't convinced with the trailers anyway, so I'm not all that surprised I didn't enjoy it.

@Flloydo Oh, and one other thing you previously mentioned that REALLY annoyed me... how they wasted the use of the golden armour. It didn't feel epic at all and they actually made her appear weaker with it on IMO. :meh:

Also in the TV show Diana was prim and proper and any time someone tried to hit on her even if it was someone she knew she make it clear hanky panky was not the order of the day.

And that’s fine but in this they made all the men sleazy, creepy and rapey. Was just weird
Lol just I read this I went to the ''whats new'' page and saw this
''Plot: A young woman haunted by a tragedy in her past takes revenge on the predatory men unlucky enough to cross her path.''

Just watched the trailer they are trying to portray most men like that, guess you were right :bored:

Last edited:
Never once said that guy didn’t get what he deserved.
He looks more like a burnt out Russell Crowe than joss Whedon :LOL:

We’re discussing the whole not getting over Steve for 66 years and the decisions made with all the men she’s encountered in the film.

Never once said that guy didn’t get what he deserved.
He looks more like a burnt out Russell Crowe than joss Whedon :LOL:

We’re discussing the whole not getting over Steve for 66 years and the decisions made with all the men she’s encountered in the film.

Barbara is special to Diana as she is the first connection she has made to this world since she lost Steve in WW1 so why would should she be interested in other men when the movie quite clearly shows she still isn’t over Steve but yeah continue with your own narrative.

We’re not even talking about Barbara either.
:confused:

We’re laughing that it’s taken someone 66 years to get over someone lol

Honestly, I don’t know why you don’t allow others to talk about DC films. And then you only comment on my comments, like it seriously offends you It’s so strange. It’s like no one else can talk about them and have opinions about the DCEU when you’re around.

I Just knew you’d come lurking from out of the shadows when people started talking about this film and their issues with it. I placed bets

A lot of us was expecting this film to be great like the first one but a lot of us were left disappointed after the excellent first film. Stop acting like you’re the one who understands DCEU films

Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
So does anyone think that Snyder will have her flying and turning stuff invisible in his justice league? It would make sense to. At least in one or scenes/ fights. Then it would only be a small section of BvS that we didn’t see her use those abilities. And it would make that part a bit better and believable with having those abilities since the 80s

We’re not even talking about Barbara either.
:confused:

We’re laughing that it’s taken someone 66 years to get over someone lol

Honestly, I don’t know why you don’t allow others to talk about DC films. And then you only comment on my comments, like it seriously offends you It’s so strange. It’s like no one else can talk about them and have opinions about the DCEU when you’re around.

I Just knew you’d come lurking from out of the shadows when people started talking about this film and their issues with it. I placed bets

A lot of us was expecting this film to be great like the first one but a lot of us were left disappointed after the excellent first film. Stop acting like you’re the one who understands DCEU films

Im talking about that though and how Barbara is the first person she has made a connection with since losing Steve who she clearly isn’t over so why should be she interested in another man just yet if she’s only warming up to the idea of having a friend.

Diana also only has interactions with 4 men leading up to Steve. The guy hailing down a taxi before Diana, Lord, some guy who calls her beautiful entering the party while she smiles back then proceeds and then Carl at the party as well while she’s pre occupied hunting down lord.

Seriously what is your deal no need to blow up like that and talk down to me telling me what to do.

Last edited: