World Cup 2010

Jan 30, 2009
England
Fast approaching now guys whoa re football fans on here. I cant wait personally. Some great teams qualifying so far and more to be expected this week. Also make and break for the argies.

Click on the links below to see the highlights of each day.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Last edited by a moderator:
The United States’ rollercoaster ride in South Africa might have given U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati mixed emotions but he is crystal clear on what he wants for the future of the sport.
USA fans packed the stadiums at the World Cup in South Africa.

Well before Landon Donovan thrilled a nation with his last-gasp winner against Algeria and the Americans’ hopes dwindled on a frustrating night against Ghana, Gulati started plotting to bring all the magic of the world’s greatest soccer event to American soil.

“The response to our run and the emotions and excitement that surrounded it reached a whole new audience and a new level,” Gulati said in an exclusive interview with Yahoo! Sports. “Now we want to give those people something else to be excited about, to make them realize there is the chance we could have all that in our own backyard.”

Soccer’s governing body FIFA will conduct a bidding process in December in which nations will apply for the right to host the 2018 and 2022 tournaments. Events over the last few days have increased the possibility of the USA being awarded staging rights for the second time after a successful 1994 tournament.

That is due to revelations about the rival Australian bid, which was rocked on Wednesday by newspaper claims that it had conducted controversial financial practices including lavishing gifts on FIFA delegates and paying exorbitant sums to soccer lobbyists.

While it is widely expected that a European nation will be awarded the 2018 World Cup (Russia, England and Spain are the leading candidates), 2022 is shaping up as a fight between the U.S. and Australia with Qatar, South Korea and Japan as longshots.

“I think we have the best bid,” Gulati said. “We have a lot to offer and would run a fantastic World Cup. We talk a lot about our stadiums and infrastructure, which is a real positive.

“But what this World Cup shows is that there is a passion for the game and that the country would get right behind it. Furthermore, we have such wonderful diversity in the United States, that every team would enjoy phenomenal support.”

Gulati’s emotions mirror that of many USA fans. He was delighted with the team’s progression as the winner of Group C but was disappointed with the extra-time defeat to Ghana in the last 16. With the draw having opened up, the chance of a deep run was tantalizingly close but snatched away.

Support for the U.S. team reached unprecedented levels as television ratings surged, yet a run to the quarterfinal would have provided even more opportunity to engage a new audience.

When asked if the tournament was an opportunity taken or an opportunity lost, Gulati replied: “I think it is a little bit of both.”

“Of course the first goal is to get through the group stage because without that, nothing else is possible,” he continued. “But then once you get there and have a game you feel you can win, and don’t, it is disappointing.

“Yet there are some real signs of progress. We are getting to the point now where we are reaching the knockout stage of World Cups and going into games as the favorites. Considering where we were 20 years ago, that is huge.

“We are respected. No one goes into games against us thinking they are going to get an easy game.”

One of the items on Gulati’s agenda is the future of Bob Bradley. Early indications are that the head coach is not going anywhere soon.

“I would expect Bob will be in charge against Brazil,” said Gulati referring to an exhibition game against the five-time World Cup winner on Aug. 11 at New Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey.

I think England will take 2018, it has been the talk of all the year leading up to the WC. Spain is also candidate, but I don't see them being picked for 2018, maybe for 2022, but not for the 2018 cup.

I think England will take 2018, it has been the talk of all the year leading up to the WC. Spain is also candidate, but I don't see them being picked for 2018, maybe for 2022, but not for the 2018 cup.

I agree,england will get it in 2018,as for 2022 it will be a north american world cup,looks like mexico withdrew their bid so i would say things look good for the USA.

I agree,england will get it in 2018,as for 2022 it will be a north american world cup,looks like mexico withdrew their bid so i would say things look good for the USA.

Yeah they withdrew from 2018 and 2022 at the end of last year. Most of the infrastructure is there, but the lack of new stadiums is not up to par. There are possibly only 4 maybe 5 stadiums that can handle more than 60+ people. It would require them to build another 4. I doubt the FMF has the dough to do it.

No matter how much the United States continues to emerge as a competitive World Cup nation, there is little doubt that the international perception of American soccer will always be doused with suspicion.
The roots of calling the beautiful game "soccer" started in a surprising place.

Why? Because Americans don’t even call the sport by its proper name, of course. They don’t call it “football.” They call it “soccer.”

In the USA, football is that game that dominates winter Sundays and features Lycra, helmets and men so large they should come with their own zip code.

Elsewhere, football is football. The round-ball sport, the beautiful game, with its biggest prize to be handed out here on July 11.

Soccer? Pah, a silly American term created by a nation that has its own national obsession.

No country has been snootier toward the USA’s use of the term “soccer” than England. Before the Group C opener between the two sides in Rustenburg, the Sun newspaper even ran a spoof front page urging Fabio Capello’s side to win the “soccerball world series.”

But let’s take a halftime break here.

Coupled with their team’s humiliating exit from the World Cup it might be another rude awakening to the Brits that soccer isn’t an American term, it is actually an English one. And it isn’t some modern fad that shows disrespect to the world’s most popular sport, it dates back to the earliest days of the game’s professional history.

Indeed, until the last few decades, even Englishmen would routinely refer to their favorite pastime as soccer, just as often as they would say football.

Clive Toye, an Englishman who moved to the U.S. and became known as the father of modern American soccer, bringing Brazilian legend Pele to play for the New York Cosmos, takes up the story.

“Soccer is a synonym for football,” said Toye, who helped launch the North American Soccer League in the late 1960s. “And it has been used as such for more years than I can count. When I was a kid in England and grabbed a ball to go out and play … I would just as easily have said: ‘Let’s have a game of soccer’ as I would use the word ‘football’ instead. And I didn’t start it.”

To trace the origin of “soccer” we must go all the way back to 1863, and a meeting of gentlemen at a London pub, who congregated with the purpose of standardizing the rules of “football,” which was in its infant years as an organized sport but was growing rapidly in popularity.

Those assembled became the founding members of the Football Association (which still oversees the game in England to this day). And they decided to call their code Association Football, to differentiate it from Rugby Football.

A quirk of British culture is the permanent need to familiarize names by shortening them. “My friend Brian Johnston was Johnners,” said Toye. “They took the third, fourth and fifth letters of Association and called it SOCcer. So there you are.”

So forget that English condescension and carry on calling it soccer, safe in the knowledge that you’re more in tune with the roots of the sport than those mocking Brits.

No matter how much the United States continues to emerge as a competitive World Cup nation, there is little doubt that the international perception of American soccer will always be doused with suspicion.
The roots of calling the beautiful game "soccer" started in a surprising place.

Why? Because Americans don’t even call the sport by its proper name, of course. They don’t call it “football.” They call it “soccer.”

In the USA, football is that game that dominates winter Sundays and features Lycra, helmets and men so large they should come with their own zip code.

Elsewhere, football is football. The round-ball sport, the beautiful game, with its biggest prize to be handed out here on July 11.

Soccer? Pah, a silly American term created by a nation that has its own national obsession.

No country has been snootier toward the USA’s use of the term “soccer” than England. Before the Group C opener between the two sides in Rustenburg, the Sun newspaper even ran a spoof front page urging Fabio Capello’s side to win the “soccerball world series.”

But let’s take a halftime break here.

Coupled with their team’s humiliating exit from the World Cup it might be another rude awakening to the Brits that soccer isn’t an American term, it is actually an English one. And it isn’t some modern fad that shows disrespect to the world’s most popular sport, it dates back to the earliest days of the game’s professional history.

Indeed, until the last few decades, even Englishmen would routinely refer to their favorite pastime as soccer, just as often as they would say football.

Clive Toye, an Englishman who moved to the U.S. and became known as the father of modern American soccer, bringing Brazilian legend Pele to play for the New York Cosmos, takes up the story.

“Soccer is a synonym for football,” said Toye, who helped launch the North American Soccer League in the late 1960s. “And it has been used as such for more years than I can count. When I was a kid in England and grabbed a ball to go out and play … I would just as easily have said: ‘Let’s have a game of soccer’ as I would use the word ‘football’ instead. And I didn’t start it.”

To trace the origin of “soccer” we must go all the way back to 1863, and a meeting of gentlemen at a London pub, who congregated with the purpose of standardizing the rules of “football,” which was in its infant years as an organized sport but was growing rapidly in popularity.

Those assembled became the founding members of the Football Association (which still oversees the game in England to this day). And they decided to call their code Association Football, to differentiate it from Rugby Football.

A quirk of British culture is the permanent need to familiarize names by shortening them. “My friend Brian Johnston was Johnners,” said Toye. “They took the third, fourth and fifth letters of Association and called it SOCcer. So there you are.”

So forget that English condescension and carry on calling it soccer, safe in the knowledge that you’re more in tune with the roots of the sport than those mocking Brits.

Really americans are idiots for calling it soccer!!!!!

AND DOWN GOES BRAZIL

Im glad holland won, they where the better team...hopefully brazil will stop playing so negative!!!

So Argentina got whooped,Spain to win the World cup like i have said all along :scat:

id put my money on germany right now. they seem unstoppable.

if spain makes it to the semis, which i think they do easily, whoever wins that game has got to be the heavy fav to win it all. uruguay or the netherlands are about as nice of a matchup as you could ask for in a final, considering what it could have been.

I can't say I am not happy to see the Argentines get beat bad! :)

Maradona had said during the week that "God wanted them to be in the final" hahaha! I say God was not happy they cheated against us lol

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I can't say I am not happy to see the Argentines get beat bad! :)

Maradona had said during the week that "God wanted them to be in the final" hahaha! I say God was not happy they cheated against us lol

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I was so happy when argentina got beat,one of my least fav teams,still say Spain are gonna win

So Argentina got whooped,Spain to win the World cup like i have said all along :scat:

Germany is going to KILL spain. All they have to do is keep a lock on David Villa and it's game over. I think spain still has a shot, just not a good one. Whoever wins that game will likely take the cup though. I think the dutch were lucky to grab a win against brazil. That was more of a brazilian self destruction rather than a dutch victory.

I think the Germany Spain game will be a midfield battle, both teams have very good midfields. On Germany's side Muller, Swinsteigger (can't spell it), Lahm, and Ozil and on Spain Iniesta, Xavi, Alonso, and Busquets are going to be battling. I know it's going to be a tight game all the way to the end.