May 3, 2011
Montreal
Release date: January 6th, 2015
Purchase Link: Future Shop.ca
Price: $29.99
Group Buy: Drum18 or Biscuitnoir

Some of the features of the standard Blu-ray SteelBook:
•Mondo X SteelBook series #002
•A rearrangement of Tomer Hanuka's beautifully illustrated artwork on the outside, inside, discs, and digital insert
•The artwork is lovingly finished with detailed gloss and satin varnishes
•Featuring a gorgeous white layer which will instantly engage you with main character, Mason’s eyes
•Each piece has been personally designed by Mondo from the front cover to the discs
•Packaged in a translucent sleeve

m2215361.jpg

m2215361_1.jpgm2215361_2.jpgm2215361_3.jpg
m2215361_4.jpgm2215361_5.jpgm2215361_6.jpg

Hi-Def Ninja Exclusive video:

Synopsis:
Filmed over 12 years with the same cast, Richard Linklater's Boyhood is a groundbreaking story of growing up as seen through the eyes of a child named Mason (Ellar Coltrane), who literally grows up on screen before our eyes. Starring Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette as Mason's parents and newcomer Lorelei Linklater as his sister Samantha, Boyhood charts the rocky terrain of childhood like no other film has before and is both a nostalgic time capsule of the recent past and an ode to growing up and parenting. [IFC Films]

Metacritic Score: 100 based on 40 critics
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1065073/criticreviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt
m2215361_7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RekLess and rj531
Lame. The variant edition alone would have been great, it has everything a Steelbook collector wants (unique artwork, small print run, numbered copies, a booklet and a slipcover). As usual something potentially great is ruined by poor decision making.
What is wrong with it? I don't understand.

Feeling so torn about the region issue right now. I thought "Why not" for Drive since it's my favourite film and I already own it on blu-ray... but even though Boyhood is one of my favourites from this year I'm not sure if I can justify getting another steelbook that I can't actually watch. It's a beauty though... and I'd love to get it if only just to put it on display so to speak. I just don't know.

Feeling so torn about the region issue right now. I thought "Why not" for Drive since it's my favourite film and I already own it on blu-ray... but even though Boyhood is one of my favourites from this year I'm not sure if I can justify getting another steelbook that I can't actually watch. It's a beauty though... and I'd love to get it if only just to put it on display so to speak. I just don't know.

Is this confirmed region locked anywhere?

There is no need for two versions and such a large print run. If they want to release a great collection of Steelbooks, then consistency is the key and that has gone out of the window before the first title has been released.
I see your point, but I think we are just lucky this is even getting a steelbook release! This is in my top 3 for this year. I won't be keeping this sealed, so I don't care about the print run as long as the quality is there.

Reactions: Paperinukke
There is no need for two versions and such a large print run. If they want to release a great collection of Steelbooks, then consistency is the key and that has gone out of the window before the first title has been released.

Having already invested in the "Drive" release, I would certainly hope that all future releases are consistent in respect of the design of both the Steelbook itself, as well as the slip cover. Depending on the titles to be made available, I would anticipate collecting this series but, for me, uniformity is essential, as I would be keeping all of my Mondo Steelbooks together, as a collection within a collection.

On that basis, if I do decide to get this title then it will have to be the Standard version, as its slip cover matches that of the "Drive" release. It's a little disappointing that it doesn't include the booklet but an additional (CAD) $45 plus postage for the Variant version, just to get a marginally different slip, booklet and individual numbering is an extravagance I cannot justify.

So, a big thank you to the powers that be for what looks to be a promising series of unique and collectible Steelbooks, but a plea to those same powers to ensure that all future releases in this series retain the uniformity essential for it to be a series worthy of collecting.

Why not keep consistency between releases... It drives sales. :(
Keep 4K each run, and keep 24.99 price tag... This is a must in my opinion.
Eh, who am I to decide. -.-

Reactions: augustus