Release date: July 25th, 2016
Purchase link: HMV UK
Price: £22.99
HDN Group Buy: Hosted by Naughtius Maximus

1.jpg

2.jpg

kr_SWCHn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
LOVE the artwork - but HATE the price - of this steelbook with its classic Saul Bass inspired / 1950's Hitchcock movie poster vibe and certainly prefer it to that of Brit artist Kevin M. Wilson aka Ape Meets Girl mailbox artwork.
3 of these exclusive posters were created, each with a different colour background (GREEN, BLUE and ORANGE), and given away at AMC IMAX cinemas over a period of 3 days with each colour given away on a different day.
These posters used here with the orange and the blue on the outside and hopefully with the green on the inside - we shall see . . .
N.B. Both of the two images we have been given on the mock-up are exactly like the posters (sans "AMC IMAX" on the face of the step just below the title) with the blue the only one of the three dead centre.

Of course there are many, many, many films set below ground - from the London Underground to caves, to disused mines etc. - but the only film I remember set in an underground bunker was one I saw only the other day - BLAST FROM THE PAST - and that's a romantic comedy . . .

Any aficionados of "Poop Art" should check out the ADVENTURELAND mock-up and leave this one to those people who appreciate classic movie poster art.

IMAX-Poster-Giveaway.jpg

Last edited:
Saw the film yesterday and really liked it, so came home and pre-ordered

Price is a bit steep for my liking but no harm in treating yourself every now and then

• Informative
Reactions: Flloydo
I can't seem to find who the artist is (quite a lot use this style nowadays), but here's the full set of posters they did...

View attachment 229200

Have you seen the film yet mate?

Apparently they were giving these away at the cinemas. I like them personally but as I mentioned I would prefer they swap the back and front around

In an ideal world I would want the art with the mailbox as the bunker with Michelle looking through the the bunker window but hey ho

Reactions: Noodles
The name of the artist is really not that important as this artwork could be considered a rip-off by some people of the work of the legendary SAUL BASS but I prefer to label them "respectful tributes" in memory of the 20th anniversary of his death (d. 25/4/1996).
This popular, world-famous, revered, American graphic designer SAUL BASS is remembered by film lovers for his classic iconic posters for THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (1955) to SCHINDLER'S LIST(1993) - which was his last commissioned film poster - and everything in between, including VERTIGO (1958), ANATOMY OF A MURDER (1959), ADVISE AMD CONSENT (1962), BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING (1965) and many others.
Apart from his film posters there are his famous movie title sequences and his storyboarding of key scenes in SPARTACUS (1960), PSYCHO (1960), WEST SIDE STORY (1961) and other films.
The distinctive Saul Bass style has clearly been an influence on the artwork for the posters for 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE as it has been for the Spike Lee film poster for CLOCKERS (1992) - which is dead similar to Bass's poster for ANATOMY OF A MURDER (1959) - and the style has also been imitated for CATCH ME IF YOU CAN (2002) up to the TV series MAD MEN and including the Alain Bossuyt posters for at least 18 of the James Bond films.

As I noted previously the original promotional movie posters were given out as freebies exclusively to IMAX ticket holders during the opening week-end of the film and when they have all found their way on to collector's walls it's cool to have a reminder of them on the steelbook and you can be sure that such artistic work will not be found on the covers of the Amaray edition.
As promotional material the only way to get hold of these posters is through the marketplace as they will not be found in the shops.

Not watched the film yet but to those not seeing any relationship between the artwork and the film it should be pointed out that the three silhouettes at the top of the stairs are of the three main characters in the film and no points for guessing which one is John Goodman . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranavalone
Have you seen the film yet mate?

Apparently they were giving these away at the cinemas. I like them personally but as I mentioned I would prefer they swap the back and front around

In an ideal world I would want the art with the mailbox as the bunker with Michelle looking through the the bunker window but hey ho
I haven't mate. I probably won't get to see it until it's out on Blu-ray unfortunately. Yeah, when trying to find the name of the artist I read that they were giving them away at certain cinemas... no doubt most of them went straight up on eBay lol.

I do like the final art, but I would rather have had the IMAX poster on the steel too. I'm sure we'll see another steelbook release somewhere else in the world sooner or later, so I wouldn't worry if you're not a fan of this steel. I'll definitely be picking this one up at some point though! :D

The name of the artist is really not that important as this artwork could be considered a rip-off by some people of the work of the legendary SAUL BASS but I prefer to label them "respectful tributes" in memory of the 20th anniversary of his death (d. 25/4/1996).
This popular, world-famous, revered, American graphic designer SAUL BASS is remembered by film lovers for his classic iconic posters for THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (1955) to SCHINDLER'S LIST(1993) - which was his last commissioned film poster - and everything in between, including VERTIGO (1958), ANATOMY OF A MURDER (1959), ADVISE AMD CONSENT (1962), BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING (1965) and many others.
Apart from his film posters there are his famous movie title sequences and his storyboarding of key scenes in SPARTACUS (1960), PSYCHO (1960), WEST SIDE STORY (1961) and other films.
The distinctive Saul Bass style has clearly been an influence on the artwork for the posters for 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE as it has been for the Spike Lee film poster for CLOCKERS (1992) - which is dead similar to Bass's poster for ANATOMY OF A MURDER (1959) - and the style has also been imitated for CATCH ME IF YOU CAN (2002) up to the TV series MAD MEN and including the Alain Bossuyt posters for at least 18 of the James Bond films.

As I noted previously the original promotional movie posters were given out as freebies exclusively to IMAX ticket holders during the opening week-end of the film and when they have all found their way on to collector's walls it's cool to have a reminder of them on the steelbook and you can be sure that such artistic work will not be found on the covers of the Amaray edition.
As promotional material the only way to get hold of these posters is through the marketplace as they will not be found in the shops.

Not watched the film yet but to those not seeing any relationship between the artwork and the film it should be pointed out that the three silhouettes at the top of the stairs are of the three main characters in the film and no points for guessing which one is John Goodman . . .
The name of the artist is important to me, as I like the above work and would love to check out their other stuff... nothing wrong with that. :)

Saul Bass has definitely influenced a lot of artists over the years who now use his "simplistic" style. Personally I love that other artists are continuing his work in a way, and I hope it continues to stay as popular as it's always been... it's popularity actually seems to be bigger now than it ever was IMO.

I've designed a few things using his style too, and one of my favourite current artists (who was clearly inspired by Saul Bass' work) is Matt Needle... dare I say I actually prefer most of his stuff to Saul Bass. :ohno:

I haven't mate. I probably won't get to see it until it's out on Blu-ray unfortunately. Yeah, when trying to find the name of the artist I read that they were giving them away at certain cinemas... no doubt most of them went straight up on eBay lol.

I do like the final art, but I would rather have had the IMAX poster on the steel too. I'm sure we'll see another steelbook release somewhere else in the world sooner or later, so I wouldn't worry if you're not a fan of this steel. I'll definitely be picking this one up at some point though! :D

The name of the artist is important to me, as I like the above work and would love to check out their other stuff... nothing wrong with that. :)

Saul Bass has definitely influenced a lot of artists over the years who now use his "simplistic" style. Personally I love that other artists are continuing his work in a way, and I hope it continues to stay as popular as it's always been... it's popularity actually seems to be bigger now than it ever was IMO.

I've designed a few things using his style too, and one of my favourite current artists (who was clearly inspired by Saul Bass' work) is Matt Needle... dare I say I actually prefer most of his stuff to Saul Bass. :ohno:

I can't wait to watch it again but the price is putting me off a little which is a shame,
Yeah I guarantee most ended up on the bay, as usual

I was going to reply last night by saying "**** you noodles, your not allowed to know the artist" lol

Can't believe that!!

Don't think he realises what inspiration is lol so many artists whether they are painters, musicians, film makers, actors, architects etc are inspired by something or someone!!

I'll always remember something thom yorke from radiohead once said and was along the lines of - we just copy the songs and artists we love and make it a bit different

But none of that is important lol

Reactions: Noodles
I can't wait to watch it again but the price is putting me off a little which is a shame,
Yeah I guarantee most ended up on the bay, as usual

I was going to reply last night by saying "**** you noodles, your not allowed to know the artist" lol

Can't believe that!!

Don't think he realises what inspiration is lol so many artists whether they are painters, musicians, film makers, actors, architects etc are inspired by something or someone!!

I'll always remember something thom yorke from radiohead once said and was along the lines of - we just copy the songs and artists we love and make it a bit different

But none of that is important lol
That's the only reason I'm yet to pre-order it as well mate. Despite the fact that I love the art, many others clearly don't, so I don't imagine it'll sell out too soon... in which case I'll hold off for a price drop.

Haha wow fine! A big FU to you too lol. I'd probably only "rip off" the artist if I did know who they were anyway. :p

I'm not too sure what he was getting at to be honest... he started by saying the name of the artist wasn't important because it's a rip-off of Saul Bass, but then goes on to call it a respectful tribute. :confused:

Exactly though dude... each to their own and everything, but I can't understand anyone who has that sort of view on art. They may as well say that every artist is ripping off the first person to ever put pencil to paper. The art isn't a rip-off nor a tribute IMO... it's basically just a popular style of art, simple as that.

Tarantino is known for "borrowing" from other movies, and he even admits it himself... but then there's actually stealing something, or simply being inspired by it.

But anyway, back on topic... glad to hear you enjoyed this movie. I'm looking forward to checking it out, especially since I know a few people who weren't big fans of Cloverfield (like myself) loved this! Anything's worth my time if MEW is in it though, so love or hate the film, I will get some enjoyment out of it. :D

The point I was trying to make, u n s u c c e s s f u l l y it seems, is that whoever is responsible for the artwork is not a "name" artist and that this is probably something out of an agency and for that reason it doesn't matter exactly whodunnit . . . but in an attempt to confirm this I've looked around for similar work from a "name" artist with no luck. I've also *contacted re-sellers of these posters to see if they know anything - two replies so far with one suggesting "Ape Meets Girl" (who we know is responsible for the mailbox poster, but for these . . . ? doesn't seem likely to me) and the other letting me know the poster is neither signed nor does it have the name of an artist on it.

*REPLIES:-
- "They don't have an artist's name on them. They are posters that were exclusive to the AMC IMAX"
- "I'm afraid that I don't have any info on the designer or on the design house. I follow quite a few movie poster websites and I can't seem to find any info on the designer. Sorry"
- "I researched online but haven't found an artist's name. There isn't one on the posters. Thank you for enquiring"
- "They were distributed by AMC movie theaters . . . I took a closer look at posters and do not see any particular gallery or artist take credit for posters. Will take photo of some tiny writing underneath the IMAX at AMC logo. Hope this helps. I can make you a great offer if you are looking to buy 10 or more posters"
- "Unfortunately I don't have that information. I was given this poster when I purchased tickets for the movie so I'm assuming it's some official work by the movie company"
- "I'm not sure who designed them but they were given away at select AMC theaters. I went to a screening and they gave them away :)"
- "Not much info. You can Google it. These were given out opening week. One each day for Thursday, Friday and Saturday to IMAX viewers at AMC theaters. Official promos"

- From IMAX.COM "Dear Nicholas, Thank you for expressing an interest in IMAX. We appreciate your email. Therefore we have forwarded your email to our marketing team for a response. Best regards, IMAX Corporation" (8.10PM)

- @Noodles and anybody else interested (actually, nobody else . . .lol ) in the artwork for this steelbook and where it originated please find below the answer from the horse's mouth:-
"Hello, THANK YOU FOR CONTACTING IMAX. THE POSTERS WERE DESIGNED BY AN AGENCY IN LOS ANGELES AND COMMISSIONED BY PARAMOUNT PICTURES AND IMAX. Best IMAX Film Marketing". (10.34PM)
Any further narrowing down I leave to others . . .

"could be considered a rip-off by some people but I PERSONALLY prefer to label them respectful tributes (to Saul Bass)" - of course creative people - writers, artists, poets etc. - since forever, are influenced (even subconsciously / subliminally) and have borrowed, do borrow and will borrow from the past and it could be said, for example, that a lot of Saul Bass's work is a "respectful tribute" to Alex Steinweiss.

EDIT 26/3/16: Should be mentioned that the front image on HMV's site for this steel appears to have a FRAMING BORDER (not visible here in the mock-up) which leads me to believe that this will have
EMBOSSING on the front . . .wonder where ? maybe on the stair(s) ? maybe just the title ?

Should also be mentioned that the HMV image just has the title on the front and looks much "cleaner" than the mock-up without the "MONSTERS COME IN MANY FORMS" print :thumbs:

Seriously hope they adjust the price to GBP 19.99 - same as THE H8TFUL EIGHT - as every time I look at it I feel queasy . . .

Last edited: