'71 (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Apr 10, 2013
Ireland
Purchase: Zavvi
Release: March 20th,2015
Price: £19.99
Notes: Limited to 2000 copies. Matte finish.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll enjoy it. The film had me gripped from beginning to end. Very gritty and realistic in its depiction of Belfast during the time of 'The Troubles'.

One of the things that impressed me most, is that it doesn't trot out the usual good versus bad platitudes that so often dog films about the 'Irish Question', as it used to be referred to. Here, virtually all of the characters, instead of being black or white, tend to be of varying shades of grey and, therefore, more credible and true to life.

I never thought that this film would ever get a Steelbook release, so this is welcome news. A definite Day 1 purchase for me!
Thanks for that mate... it definitely sounds like my kind of film!

Jack O'Connell has really stepped up his game lately and is on track to winning an Oscar IMO. Starred Up (another film he starred in) is one of my favourite films of the year... I was really hoping we'd get a Steelbook for it. Can't wait to see the upcoming Angelina Jolie directed film he stars in too (Unbroken).

Reactions: augustus
It's a new film was only released to the cinemas in Oct 2014 in the UK and still showing in the cinema

£19.99 is a normal price for a new release Steelbook its not a back catalouge title

I think it could have been priced more competitively when I think of other recent 2D releases like Cold in July or Only Lovers Left Alive which were under £18. This film will be appealing to a similar crowd and both of those have yet to sell out and are now awaiting price drops.

Reactions: Prazzers
I think it could have been priced more competitively when I think of other recent 2D releases like Cold in July or Only Lovers Left Alive which were under £18. This film will be appealing to a similar crowd and both of those have yet to sell out and are now awaiting price drops.

This been a StudioCanal release you can be nearly sure it will be a gloss finish or might be a spot gloss finish and IMO its a lot better film than Cold in July or Only Lovers Left Alive and both those films not even in the same league as 71 in my opinion

71 is A visceral jolt to be savoured and a brilliant Film
My liking of this film might be a bit biased of course as I'm Irish but it captures the period brilliantly and is a definite purchase for me

71 is getting rave reviews from nearly all film critics and public reviews

From Warp Films, Film4, BFI and STUDIOCANAL

Edit
I seen posts saying this will be a matte finish that's a surprise considering lot of recent StudioCanal have been a gloss finish

Last edited:
Preorder placed.
I wonder when will somebody start to give to the bare metal steels a nice light satin effect like in this mockup... maybe adding a little layer of white with a printed brushed texture on. I think that'd be a really classy finish

Anyone know the region of this steelbook out of curiosity? Says region B on Zavvi but I can never remember which studios do region free releases.

All Studio Canal steelbooks are pretty well 99.9% Region B coming from UK imo!! :thumbs:

Marvel/Disney, Warner Bros, Paramount, Universal are usually 99.9% Region Free (Big Companies = Usually Region Free)

Then you have Fox that sometimes has region free and then stuff region locked!! There really the only one you have to guess depending on the movie lol!!

Other smaller companies like Eone, Studo Canal, lionsgate are usually Region A, or B, or C locked depending on which country there from!!

Hope I helped you!! :)

Last edited:
Have to hand it to Studiocanal for finally trotting out an inside art with color! They've also stepped up their finishes. It seems like they've been listening.

However this will almost certainly be bare metal, which is a shame because the rest of the design is great. It's also a film I want to see. If it somehow ends up not being bare metal I'll definitely pick it up.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
The guy who designed this (Rob Watts) kindly just confirmed to me that the steelbook will have a matte finish... not his decision, of course (he preferred spot gloss/varnish, as did myself). I still think it'll look great though and can't wait to get my hands on it! :D

The guy who designed this (Rob Watts) kindly just confirmed to me that the steelbook will have a matte finish... not his decision, of course (he preferred spot gloss/varnish, as did myself). I still think it'll look great though and can't wait to get my hands on it! :D
That's a surprise considering StudioCanal Steelbooks have been a gloss finish for majority of 2014 releases
This would have looked fantastic with a spot gloss finish

I will be keeping my steelbook order as its a fantastic film but is a disappointment to hear its a matte finish

I have also pre ordered the ’71 Blu-ray O-ring Sleeve with black case show through Blu ray
71_BD.jpg

Last edited:
That's a surprise considering StudioCanal Steelbooks have been a gloss finish for majority of 2014 releases
This would have looked fantastic with a spot gloss finish

I will be keeping my steelbook order as its a fantastic film but is a disappointment to hear its a matte finish

I have also pre ordered the ’71 Blu-ray O-ring Sleeve with black case show through Blu ray
Yep, it's pretty disappointing. StudioCanal gave us the Under the Skin and Army of Darkness steels (both were also designed by Rob), which are gorgeous steels and both nominated for 2014 Steelbook of the Year! I pray that whoever informed Rob that this will be matte is wrong, but I doubt it. :(

The slipcase sounds like it's going to be the best of the two as it'll apparently have a "matte varnish with spot UV gloss", which is what finish the steelbook should have too IMO. I'll probably get the slip as well as the steel anyway. :)

It seems like such a missed opportunity not to have at least spot gloss on the "71", the colors would truly pop.

Given StudioCanal's recent track record, not having at least spot gloss, especially with an artwork such as this, would suck ass, to put it mildly — hopefully the rest of the steel isn't bare metal, but I'm considering cancelling now (I pre-ordered it as part of an offer with multiple steelbooks, some already delivered, but I'll file a request).

Now would be a perfect time for Zavvi to do like PlainArchive and post a live picture of the steelbook under various angles, to appease our minds, unless they have something to hide.

A gloss finish is what would have prompted me to buy this, as the design is simple and it appears to be bare metal. I just saw the stubby-slip version and I'll definitely get that instead. It's got textured green instead of silver, spot gloss, and a black case.